Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/10/2018 2:47:16 AM EDT
I see lots of titanium BCG's for sale, and plenty of titanium firing pins...but does anyone make an actual titanium bolt?
If not, why not?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:07:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It isn’t strong enough.

Titanium is strong for its weight, not its volume.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
And, depending on the application and alloy, Ti tends to gall.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And, depending on the application and alloy, Ti tends to gall.
View Quote
Seems like that would be more of an issue with the Bolt Carrier which suffers from the most rubbing friction, and Ti carriers seem to hold up fine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Seems like that would be more of an issue with the Bolt Carrier which suffers from the most rubbing friction, and Ti carriers seem to hold up fine.
View Quote
The locking lugs have to rotate against the extension lugs while there is a significant load between the two.  It also has half the shear strength of 9130 or Carpenter 158.

Just because a material is great in some applications, like airplanes, does mean it is great in all applications.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The locking lugs have to rotate against the extension lugs while there is a significant load between the two.  It also has half the shear strength of 9130 or Carpenter 158.

Just because a material is great in some applications, like airplanes, does mean it is great in all applications.
View Quote
Hmm, that's interesting to learn.  Maybe there could still be a bolt that has steel front end/locking lugs/extractor, but then has a titanium back end...

Given your knowledge of Ti properties, do you know any good reason why Titanium wouldn't work for 3 prong flash hiders?  I've been confused why there are so many options for Titanium compensators or birdcage devices, but not true titanium flash hiders.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are SEVERAL titanium flash suppressors available.
View Quote
I have searched the internet extensively and not found a single one.  I have found plenty of titanium compensators, plenty of titanium combo devices (eg, like the A2), which do provide a minimal amount of flash suppression but nothing comparable to an actual pronged flash hider.  If you know of one, please share it
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hmm, that's interesting to learn.  Maybe there could still be a bolt that has steel front end/locking lugs/extractor, but then has a titanium back end...

Given your knowledge of Ti properties, do you know any good reason why Titanium wouldn't work for 3 prong flash hiders?  I've been confused why there are so many options for Titanium compensators or birdcage devices, but not true titanium flash hiders.
View Quote
There are almost no loads on a flash hider....

The loads on a bolt lugs are as high as 140 KSI.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:21:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:42:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My .02 on that unit, if I was going to use it I’d have my local machine shop remove the threads.

BATF has been going berserk over “solvent traps”.
View Quote
That might be able to used on a stamped can as well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not sure what gave you that idea

The forces on the carrier are nothing in comparison to the forces the bolt itself deals with
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Weight savings with a full Ti bolt would be negligible; just a Ti rear end would be pretty much pointless.  Ti has a very high strength to weight ratio, but it's not that light, and not nearly as strong as many steels.   .160 lbs/cu.in. for 6/4 Ti vs. .284 lbs/cu.in for 9310
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Weight savings with a full Ti bolt would be negligible; just a Ti rear end would be pretty much pointless.  Ti has a very high strength to weight ratio, but it's not that light, and not nearly as strong as many steels.   .160 lbs/cu.in. for 6/4 Ti vs. .284 lbs/cu.in for 9310
View Quote
Titanium is about 60% the weight of steel, and the bolt weighs about 3.5 oz if I remember correctly, so the weight could be reduced by about 1.4 oz which on an ultra lightweight build is enough to justify a couple hundred bucks easily.  Hell, people pay over $100 just to upgrade the bolt catch to titanium and that's under half an ounce weight lost.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Titanium alloy  (grade 5) has a fracture toughness of 68.3 ksi.
Sheared bolt lugs would be almost guaranteed inside of a low round count.

158 alloy attains a core strength of approximately 160 ksi (1103 MPa) tensile strength with a yield point of approximately 135 ksi (931 MPa). 
View Quote
You sir are a wizard. I cannot believe you found that titanium 3 prong!!  I was convinced it was a mythical beast.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds brittle... I don't like my bolts brittle.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:03:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One option worth checking out HERE

A Mil-Spec BCG is about 11.5 ounces.

This offering weighs in at 7.9 ounces

Eta:  another HERE
View Quote
Already have titanium BCG's, but I was just looking for a way to save weight on the bolt as well.

Not sure why the titanium BCG's are so meaty, I'm thinking about getting the back end of it shaved down..
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Titanium is about 60% the weight of steel, and the bolt weighs about 3.5 oz if I remember correctly, so the weight could be reduced by about 1.4 oz which on an ultra lightweight build is enough to justify a couple hundred bucks easily.  Hell, people pay over $100 just to upgrade the bolt catch to titanium and that's under half an ounce weight lost.
View Quote
According to my digital postage scale, a standard bolt with gas rings, extractor & ejector installed is 1.55 oz, so full Ti would get you down to about 1.0 oz.  Just the tail?  Even if there were a feasible way to do it, you'd save only about .3 oz.  Better, cheaper ways to cut that weight.  Like .005" less barrel diameter.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

According to my digital postage scale, a standard bolt with gas rings, extractor & ejector installed is 1.55 oz, so full Ti would get you down to about 1.0 oz.  Just the tail?  Even if there were a feasible way to do it, you'd save only about .3 oz.  Better, cheaper ways to cut that weight.  Like .005" less barrel diameter.
View Quote
Yeah, but for an ultralight build where literally every single component down to the last little screw has been selected based on it being the lightest available component on the market, the steel bolt then becomes the best area to save weight.  It is the best area to save weight because nobody makes a lightweight bolt, so it's the only part that currently is not as light as it could be...
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:04:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, but for an ultralight build where literally every single component down to the last little screw has been selected based on it being the lightest available component on the market, the steel bolt then becomes the best area to save weight.  It is the best area to save weight because nobody makes a lightweight bolt, so it's the only part that currently is not as light as it could be...
View Quote
They don't make them because a titanium bolt wouldn't hold up.  Not sure why you don't grasp that.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top