Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2021 2:41:08 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I have a timney straight 3lb single stage trigger in my 556 ar15. I have also had the 4lb in the past and don't remember it feeling like this so I wanted to check with you guys.

So there are 2 things I'm noticing. The first thing I'm noticing that I don't remember having on the 4lb is there is a little bit of take up. I don't know if I just didn't notice it on the heavier 4lb trigger and it was the same or if this ones tolerances are a bit different. Admittedly it is a very small amount but it's definetly there. But it leads me into my second question which is what I am more concerned about

So if I pull up that very small amount of take up and don't break the shot and let off the trigger, it doesn't come back out. I have to physically push it back out. Now we are talking like a mm or less but is it normal for a single stage trigger to exhibit that?

The trigger was feeling a little gritty today when I was taking percision 200 yard shots and that is when I noticed all of this.

Appreciate Any advice
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd give a call to Timney and lay it out. If it's noticeably different than your other trigger there's a good chance there's an issue.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd give a call to Timney and lay it out. If it's noticeably different than your other trigger there's a good chance there's an issue.
View Quote

I just emailed them, guy recommended removing and cleaning with brake cleaner for the grittiness and didn't address the creep so I replied asking if it was normal for there to be a little take up and he said no there shouldn't be any.

I took this video and sent it to him and I'm waiting on a response

https://youtu.be/b-J8Xo9O628
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the sear move at all with the safety on ?
Just discovered this on a new build, with a damn AR-Stoner safety.
Could feel the sear moving with safety on, sometimes it would move back, other times it wouldn't.
Trigger had a lot of creep before breaking with safety off.
Put in true Mil-spec safety, and issue went away.
The AR-stoner shit went back to Midway...
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you lube it?  I ask, because a lot of peeps forget this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Timney watched the video and sent me an RMA and label so something isn't right. I took it out and put the 4lb back in and there is literally no creep or any movement of the trigger before the break so something is going on with that 3lb.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does the sear move at all with the safety on ?
Just discovered this on a new build, with a damn AR-Stoner safety.
Could feel the sear moving with safety on, sometimes it would move back, other times it wouldn't.
Trigger had a lot of creep before breaking with safety off.
Put in true Mil-spec safety, and issue went away.
The AR-stoner shit went back to Midway...
View Quote

No, no movement at all with my 45 degree safety engaged
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you lube it?  I ask, because a lot of peeps forget this.
View Quote

Timney says not to lube their triggers, they are Teflon coated which should last the lifetime of the trigger
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top