Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/1/2020 6:12:47 PM EDT
Last week I got a parts kit and started to build up a lower using a standard straight trigger guard  I was surprised to find that the trigger guard roll pin would not slip neatly into the guard as it did with previous builds.  I went to a couple local gun shops and found that their trigger guards had roll pin holes slightly too small to let the pin spin freely.  What's going on?
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You dont want the roll pin to spin (move), thats their whole purpose.

They should require some tapping or pressing to get installed. I have see over sized pins, but a lil taper on a grinder seems to work.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You dont want the roll pin to spin (move), thats their whole purpose.

They should require some tapping or pressing to get installed. I have see over sized pins, but a lil taper on a grinder seems to work.
View Quote

I understand that the pin is supposed to press tightly against the walls of the trigger guard holes on the receiver.  My confusion is that on all other rifles I've handled with a stock trigger guard, the guard would pivot under its own weight when the detent was released.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, i get what your saying. Most ppl install winter guards to start with.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ah, i get what your saying. Most ppl install winter guards to start with.
View Quote

So... have I dealt with wrong trigger guards all this time until just now?
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
No,  not wrong , just different. I install winter guards to give more space and looks better.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No,  not wrong , just different. I install winter guards to give more space and looks better.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35509/A8AFA610-9E34-4654-91E2-B08ABC4AC691_jpe-1485531.JPG
View Quote

I mean "wrong" as in tight versus loose.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The trigger guard should not just freely swing around when the detent is released. it's meant to fold back against the PG and stay there. The loose TGs were out of spec.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top