Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/13/2018 1:44:46 PM EDT
Can these features be incorporated into an ordinary forged upper just by forcing in a grub screw of the appropriate dimensions?

Or is a pre-tapped lower with the correct included screws the only reasonable way to go?
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Being that the lower is alum, i guess you could force a steel set screw in there, but why not just do it right. A small tap doesnt cost that much, I got my set screws from the hobby store, buy a dozen for 1.00 or so and then youll have them.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being that the lower is alum, i guess you could force a steel set screw in there, but why not just do it right. A small tap doesnt cost that much, I got my set screws from the hobby store, buy a dozen for 1.00 or so and then youll have them.
View Quote
Makes sense.  Have you done this? The take down pin hole seems easy, but I bet the bolt catch pin hole would be a challenge.

My nagging suspicion is that if this were easy more people would have done it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive never done the bolt catch pin, the idea of the rear take down pin mod is because ppl were changing stocks more often and wanted the spring and detent "captured". I do this mod on all my lowers, it takes literally 2 minutes and then you dont have to worry about it.

Once this trend started to catch on many years ago, a few lower manufacturers were doing this mod on their own.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The captured rear detent spring made sense to me, although I've never done it since I don't swap stocks regularly.
I'm interested in the reasoning for the bolt catch though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm interested in the reasoning for the bolt catch though.
View Quote
I'm thinking about using a Catch-22 bolt latch for a dedicated 22lr lower, and it would be nice if this were reversible so if the latch is a disaster I can readily switch back.

I've pounded a bolt latch pin out.  It's a pain.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy these and a 6-32 tap.  It is that easy to do at home and a lot of companies sell lowers already threaded.

Aero Threaded Bolt Catch Pin
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe just me, but installing the roll pin into the bolt stop isn't that hard.  Tape up the receiver and away you go.  My first build the worst part was the trigger guard pin.  I didn't prep anything, and thought for sure my gorilla swings were going to break the ear off. I've learned better since.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The only prep I do for bolt catch is to put down some duct tape on the receiver incase i do scratch it.

As far as the ears, its all about supporting the back side and I taper the pin a lil more and CLP it. been lucky and no busted ear, its good to see manufactors coming up with different approaches to this, like built in trigger guard, screw in guard, etc.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Buy these and a 6-32 tap.  It is that easy to do at home and a lot of companies sell lowers already threaded.

Aero Threaded Bolt Catch Pin
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Makes sense.  Have you done this? The take down pin hole seems easy, but I bet the bolt catch pin hole would be a challenge.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This why I shake my head at some of the crap that gets posted on internet gun forums.

DRILL or REAM the  hole for rear take down to .089, chamfer outside edge of hole, tap for 4-40 thread, use 4-40 set screw

DRILL or REAM the bolt catch hole for bolt catch screw you buy (like using a  6-32 threaded DPMS ar10 bolt catch screw, drill using #35 or .107)
Only drill/tap the one side of the bolt catch flange.

You will need a drill extension and a tap extension long enough to have the amount of  reach for the bolt catch.

Tape or cover the side of the lower to protect it.

_
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm thinking about using a Catch-22 bolt latch for a dedicated 22lr lower, and it would be nice if this were reversible so if the latch is a disaster I can readily switch back.

I've pounded a bolt latch pin out.  It's a pain.
View Quote
Aah, ok.  In this sense I can see it makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Or, you could skip alkt of this and just buy a San Tan Tactical upper/lower receiver. Every place you wod install a roll pin is threaded for a threaded pin. Easiest set ive put together in my life. I did loctite the pins with some low strength threadlocker for my own anal retentive mindset though. Ive seen several other manufacturers do this and it sure seems like a good idea to me, if nothing else than the bolt release.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Or, you could skip alkt of this and just buy a San Tan Tactical upper/lower receiver. Every place you wod install a roll pin is threaded for a threaded pin. Easiest set ive put together in my life. I did loctite the pins with some low strength threadlocker for my own anal retentive mindset though. Ive seen several other manufacturers do this and it sure seems like a good idea to me, if nothing else than the bolt release.
View Quote
Aero Precision has a lower with threaded take down, bolt catch, and integrated trigger guard.  The M4E1 lower is forged although it has billet aesthetics and can be found for less than a $100 fairly frequently.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#15]
A few years' back Aero sold some blems that had the wrong size hole in the trigger guard (they use the same drill for the trigger pins.)  Their recommendation was to purchase an A4 tap and set screws.  Worked like a charm, and I got two lowers with consecutive serial numbers out of the deal.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top