BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a fascinating pair of rails you've got there.  Could you give us a better shot of em and tell us how they work?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
@BartCarter
@60-Driver

To all those having failures to eject: I had the same problem with a factory 45 build. The problem was the ejector spring - it was shorter and smaller in diameter than a standard AR spring. Still scratching my head on that.

Swapped it with a new one. Zero problems!
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a fascinating pair of rails you've got there.  Could you give us a better shot of em and tell us how they work?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's one of my never ending project guns.  Will post more later with pics.

Quoted:
@BartCarter
@60-Driver

To all those having failures to eject: I had the same problem with a factory 45 build. The problem was the ejector spring - it was shorter and smaller in diameter than a standard AR spring. Still scratching my head on that.

Interesting.  I read about that being a culprit in other "I'm getting FTEs" threads but haven't verified mine.  It seemed ok when I checked the extractor but didn't pull the ejector to verify.  May do that tonight.  Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:...To all those having failures to eject: I had the same problem with a factory 45 build. The problem was the ejector spring - it was shorter and smaller in diameter than a standard AR spring. Still scratching my head on that.

View Quote
To be clear, you put in a standard AR spring, or you got a new one from CMMG?

(BTW, my ejecting problem stopped 100% with my enlarging of the ejection port on my non-CMMG Guard upper)
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@BartCarter
What kind of FTE's were you getting exactly?  Was the brass staying attached to the extractor and coming forward with the bolt?

I'm asking because I'm experiencing similar issues with my 45 build.  Every 15 or so rounds, a spent case doesn't eject and "rides" the bolt back into battery resulting in a mangled case or stovepipe:

I've clearanced the port to the same size as my DI45 receiver.  Maybe I need to open more?  I would think any interference would at least knock the brass off the bolt face and cause a jam/stovepipe, not allow it to stay seated in the bolt?  I'm looking at the extractor next to see if maybe sharp edges are biting into the rim and holding onto it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@BartCarter
What kind of FTE's were you getting exactly?  Was the brass staying attached to the extractor and coming forward with the bolt?

I'm asking because I'm experiencing similar issues with my 45 build.  Every 15 or so rounds, a spent case doesn't eject and "rides" the bolt back into battery resulting in a mangled case or stovepipe:

I've clearanced the port to the same size as my DI45 receiver.  Maybe I need to open more?  I would think any interference would at least knock the brass off the bolt face and cause a jam/stovepipe, not allow it to stay seated in the bolt?  I'm looking at the extractor next to see if maybe sharp edges are biting into the rim and holding onto it...
Here is what I posted with my 9mm:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took my new build from the CMMG Guard BCG/barrel/lower for sighting in and testing of magazines, etc. I was getting about 1 in 15 failing to eject.  CMMG posted if you don’t use their upper, you may have to clearance the ejection port...
Finished milling my upper to open up the ejection port.  I milled the top front half 0.038" and the entire length of the bottom 0.110".  I ran all my Glock mags from fully loaded and not one failure to eject.  Today I ran a steel match and not one failure to eject.  400 rounds total.

So, if you are having any ejection problems with your Guard barrel/BCG build, I highly recommend clearancing the ejection port.
There are minor differences in the Guard BCG from a DI BCG. (See Mad Machinist post previously)  This may come in place too.

Check my dimensions to see if you are close to the clearancing I did.  I believe that the upper for the Guard .45 and 9 mm is the same.  For a quick and dirty look, the upper clearance took out about half of the bolt bearing surface in the upper and the bottom cut came down to about the top of the lower bearing surface.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:46:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Here is what I posted with my 9mm:

There are minor differences in the Guard BCG from a DI BCG. (See Mad Machinist post previously)  This may come in place too.

Check my dimensions to see if you are close to the clearancing I did.  I believe that the upper for the Guard .45 and 9 mm is the same.  For a quick and dirty look, the upper clearance took out about half of the bolt bearing surface in the upper and the bottom cut came down to about the top of the lower bearing surface.
View Quote
I'll probably open the entire port some more.  I just noticed there're alot of brass marks on the back of the port.  Like not on the deflector, but the actual port.  Weird.

But the FTEs you were having...they were the same as this?  Brass staying attached to the bolt?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:08:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
As mentioned it's a project gun I've been tinkering with - Rock River PDS upper receiver/recoil system, CMMG Guard BCG/barrel, Palmetto State KS-47 lower with HK USC lower shoehorned into the magwell (the short spring is just to keep the buffer in place):

Needless to say, the combination of all these random parts makes it harder to drill down on the root cause of the FTE's but overall the gun works.  I get 1-2 FTEs average per mag, sometimes none.

I've also experimented with a standard lower using UZI 45 and PPS-43 mags:

I get the exact same FTE's with these setups which makes me think the problem lays somewhere in the upper, either the extractor or ejection port.  I smoothed out the extractor with a file last night so I'll know more after my next live fire test tomorrow...
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:11:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

(BTW, my ejecting problem stopped 100% with my enlarging of the ejection port on my non-CMMG Guard upper)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...To all those having failures to eject: I had the same problem with a factory 45 build. The problem was the ejector spring - it was shorter and smaller in diameter than a standard AR spring. Still scratching my head on that.

What he said.  You replaced it with a standard AR spring?  Not a new "Guard" one from CMMG?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
snip
View Quote
I'm think of moving to the UZI mag for my franken-Guard.  This should allow me to put the mag cut exactly where I need it (and use a standard mag catch), no?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  As mentioned it's a project gun I've been tinkering with - Rock River PDS upper receiver/recoil system, CMMG Guard BCG/barrel, Palmetto State KS-47 lower with HK USC lower shoehorned into the magwell (the short spring is just to keep the buffer in place):

https://i.imgur.com/UEPfYZl.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/qmglrFG.jpg?1

Needless to say, the combination of all these random parts makes it harder to drill down on the root cause of the FTE's but overall the gun works.  I get 1-2 FTEs average per mag, sometimes none.

https://i.imgur.com/qDRaGa6.jpg?1

I get the exact same FTE's with these setups which makes me think the problem lays somewhere in the upper, either the extractor or ejection port.  I smoothed out the extractor with a file last night so I'll know more after my next live fire test tomorrow...
View Quote
That's a fascinating project.  If you'd like to add more variables to the mix, the Cav Arms Mk 2 that takes .45 ACP Grease Gun mags is on sale as blems @ GWACS right now for $85:

http://www.gwacsarmory.com/cav-15-mkii-ar15-stripped-lower-blemmish-ar-15-black/  You'd have to add the Hahn magblock.  GWACS stocks it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm think of moving to the UZI mag for my franken-Guard.  This should allow me to put the mag cut exactly where I need it (and use a standard mag catch), no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've used Uzi mags with my blowback uppers and always had a standard mag catch.  Some have reported issues with the catch not being deep enough to engage the mag slot but I haven't seen it.  Rock River and Spikes (I think) both make a specialized 9mm mag catch that has a catch which is a little deeper.

Quoted:

That's a fascinating project.  If you'd like to add more variables to the mix, the Cav Arms Mk 2 that takes .45 ACP Grease Gun mags is on sale as blems @ GWACS right now for $85:

http://www.gwacsarmory.com/cav-15-mkii-ar15-stripped-lower-blemmish-ar-15-black/  You'd have to add the Hahn magblock.  GWACS stocks it.
Thanks!  I was actually considering a CNC Guns AR45 lower to try out.  I do like grease gun mags since they're about as hi-cap as you can get for 45.  One issue with the USC mags is that they're single stack which makes the the 20-rounders ridiculously long.  The mag in the above picture started off as a 20-rounder but I chopped it to the same length as a grease gun mag.  Now it only holds 17 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've used Uzi mags with my blowback uppers and always had a standard mag catch.  Some have reported issues with the catch not being deep enough to engage the mag slot but I haven't seen it.  Rock River and Spikes (I think) both make a specialized 9mm mag catch that has a catch which is a little deeper.
View Quote
Unmodified UZI mags don't have their slot cut anywhere near the standard AR15 spot - right?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  Unmodified UZI mags don't have their slot cut anywhere near the standard AR15 spot - right?
View Quote
Correct.  Some years back, there was an AR magwell adapter that took unmodified Uzi mags.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'll probably open the entire port some more.  I just noticed there're alot of brass marks on the back of the port.  Like not on the deflector, but the actual port.  Weird.

But the FTEs you were having...they were the same as this?  Brass staying attached to the bolt?
View Quote
Sorry, to be honest, I didn't pay that close attention, just than it did not eject.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I replaced it with a standard AR ejector spring. The failure was a case sticking to the bolt face.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:27:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sorry, to be honest, I didn't pay that close attention, just than it did not eject.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No worries, just wanted to see if it was something that was duplicating in other guns.  I went to the range today and it was more of the same so I'm going to clearance the port a little more now.

Quoted:
I replaced it with a standard AR ejector spring. The failure was a case sticking to the bolt face.
Thanks for the clarification!
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:31:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What bolt are you using??? If it is a Guard bolt , I'll check something on the one I have in the AM if I can remember.....
View Quote
Hey Rudy,
Yep it's a Guard bolt & carrier.  I'll remind you to check!  
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Macon Armory mag and adaptor work perfectly with a guard upper.....as well as out DI upper...
View Quote
Really?  I'll take a block and some mags!  I've got a barrel for you to cut, too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh yeah, Rudy here's your reminder....find anything of interest this morning worth sharing?  
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#22]
What's the highest roundcount some of you have on your CMMG guard?

Do you think the 9mm GLOCK fed Guard still needs some tweaking??
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Finished milling my upper to open up the ejection port.  I milled the top front half 0.038" and the entire length of the bottom 0.110".  
View Quote
@BartCarter - Don't suppose you have a picture of your ejection port?  I got the dimensions you listed, just want a graphic of what it actually looks like.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone know where  can purchase just the lower for the 45? I can justify buying half now paying for the stamp then buy the upper after approval.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#25]
If I read him right, Rudy says the Angstadt Arms lowers are @ the right height for a lugged bolt, but I don't know if they're doing a large mag frame.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@BartCarter - Don't suppose you have a picture of your ejection port?  I got the dimensions you listed, just want a graphic of what it actually looks like.  
View Quote
Can I load a picture directly on the forum?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Not sure you can unless you're a member.  Is there a 'Media' section underneath the box where you type a post?  w/ "Select File" and "Upload" buttons?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Macon Armory mag and adaptor work perfectly with a guard upper.....as well as out DI upper...
View Quote
@Mad-Machinist

PM sent!
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Found a good picture.  I saved it, opened it in paint program and enlarged it.

Guard article with pictures
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Guard upper and stock upper for comparison.

LINK
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:37:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the pics.  I pretty much had the port opened to a similar size but went ahead and took a little more off the bottom half to see if it would help my FTE issue.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:56:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Took it out today for another test with the larger ejection port.  Only shot 10 rounds with no FTE's but did discover another potential issue.

For those with Guard 45's...is a ~0.01-.02" gap between the barrel extension and bolt carrier normal?

Carrier sticks out about 0.016"

I noticed the gap when I first built the upper but figured it was inherent of the radial delayed system.  Well after shooting a few hundred rounds, I've experienced several split cases (all factory new ammo).  Initially I thought it was from sharp bolt lugs scoring the brass as it cycled, deeply enough to cause case failure.  But I polished the lugs and the gouging went away.  Then today, a gunsmith friend watched me shoot and found another split case.  He suggested it might be firing a little out of battery.  That's when I had my "aha" moment.  Maybe it IS slightly out of battery.  I stopped shooting after the 10 rounds.

I took it home and compared to my Guard 9mm.  It's kinda hard to see but there's definitely not as much gap:

Another thing I compared was the back of the bolts.  The 45 has about .010" more material on the back:

I also tried a bunch of different configurations using other barrels, receivers, etc and had the same result.  I have a question in to CMMG tech support so we'll see what they say.  Anyone else experience this?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#33]
CMMG's ejection port looks exactly like Anderson's 458 SOCOM upper receiver.
For my new Guard upper I used the 458 upper and will try it with CMMG's 9mm gas deflector and ejection port cover.
My first one threw cases far enough back it could be a problem shooting lefty.
We'll see how it goes...
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:38:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I pulled the spring out of carrier and found I've got about .025 gap. WIth barrel on a standard brownells upper my carrier is flush with the rear of the upper. No FTE's with a used carbine spring, hydraulic buffer, CMMG lower and Glock mags. Brass hits the right side of my chest,lands about 5 to 6 feet out in nice little pile. When I tried a extra power spring the LRBHO didn't catch, and the gun had  nose dive on bolt close. Next thing is a flat wire spring and I might cut coils to get a perfect tune. Also will turn down the barrel dia to 5/8 no taper
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the reply.  Well if the gap is normal then I'm back to the drawing board.    In addition to split cases, my brass doesn't eject in neat piles.  I'd say most go to ~2 o'clock but they kind of go all over.  Only configuration I haven't been able to try is with an actual Guard lower.  In hindsight I wish I'd started with a factory rifle that worked then dissected it to build my gun.

Side note, how heavy is your hydraulic buffer?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Kind of sounds like bolt is open too soon and traveling to fast. Ejecting at 2 means the bolt is striking the empty on closing, and bulged cases. My buffer is about 4.5 oz. I'd try H2 buffer and get flat wire spring that should slow it down.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Strangely though, they don't seem to eject with too much distance.  Yeah mostly at 2 o'clock but only a few feet from the gun.  If the bolt had excessive velocity, I'd expect the brass to launch further than they do.  

Right now total reciprocating mass is about the same as a stock Guard.  I have 4oz & 5.5oz buffers I can try.  That will make the total mass ~18.5-20oz.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Sorry, I read multiple pages, but can't keep track due to all the variations.

Is a 9mm guard bbl/bolt combo g2g on a colt-style (QC10/spikes) lower with minor tweaks? If so, what needed to be done? Thinking of doing the conversion for my USPSA PCC rig.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sorry, I read multiple pages, but can't keep track due to all the variations.

Is a 9mm guard bbl/bolt combo g2g on a colt-style (QC10/spikes) lower with minor tweaks? If so, what needed to be done? Thinking of doing the conversion for my USPSA PCC rig.
View Quote
I was able to mod a colt-style mag setup to work but it required modding the block and mag catch to allow the mag to sit lower.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Seems like a lot of tinkering to get these guards running right.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#41]
To get Guards running with mags they weren't designed for.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Right.

I have a complete setup for PCC already, lots of mags, extensions, mag holders, etc and two other colt-style 9mm builds. Otherwise I'd just run the Glock mags (or an MPX) and be done with it. I have a dedicated 9mm lower, so it sounds like removing the ejector and filing down the mag catch might make it tick?

Mag catch is easy enough to replace if I screw up I suppose.

Just debating selling the whole kit and buying new vs. retro-fit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Right.

I have a complete setup for PCC already, lots of mags, extensions, mag holders, etc. Otherwise I'd just run the Glock mags (or an MPX) and be done with it. I have a dedicated 9mm lower, so it sounds like removing the ejector and filing down the mag catch might make it tick?

View Quote
Does your lower have a built in ramp?  The may need to be modified to clear the Guard bolt.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm going to say yes without being at home, but based on this pic it appears so. Something I can do with a dremel?

QC10

Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm going to say yes without being at home, but based on this pic it appears so. Something I can do with a dremel?

]
View Quote
Someone did in the other thread so I imagine you could as well.  I was able to lower mine by lowering the entire mag block (filing the slot).
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Right.

I have a complete setup for PCC already, lots of mags, extensions, mag holders, etc and two other colt-style 9mm builds. Otherwise I'd just run the Glock mags (or an MPX) and be done with it. I have a dedicated 9mm lower, so it sounds like removing the ejector and filing down the mag catch might make it tick?

Just debating selling the whole kit and buying new vs. retro-fit.
View Quote
A few different ways to make it work.  I filed down the tops of the ramp ears/walls to clear the bolt instead of lowering the entire ramp.  I also ground & polished the bottom edge of the ramp to prevent the case necks from hanging up.  All possible with a Dremel & file, just gotta go slow and take your time.  I also enlarged the holes in the mags to make them sit lower vs filing the mag catch.  If I were to do it all over again, I would modify the mag catch and lower the entire ramp itself as others have done.

As for buying new vs. retrofit, I say it all depends on how much you like to tinker/modify your guns.  If it's something you like to do as a hobby I say go for it.  Some folks prefer buying a gun that runs right out of the box (a factory Guard or MPX fit that bill nicely).  Me personally, I like to tinker.  Besides I have too much invested in existing lowers to justify buying another one w/ new mags, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Wandered a little off the theme, this was about the guard gun, not trying to make the barrel and bolt work in some other thats lower was designed for blow back using glock mags.

For best result use their lower also
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wandered a little off the theme, this was about the guard gun, not trying to make the barrel and bolt work in some other thats lower was designed for blow back using glock mags.

For best result use their lower also
View Quote
After building a few Colt ARs and buying, then building a Guard, I would buy barrel, BCG, upper and lower.  Everything works as designed that way.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@badkarmaiii  - Any chance you were able to measure the MPX buffer?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can measure at work tomorrow.
@badkarmaiii  - Any chance you were able to measure the MPX buffer?  
.520"
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Oh thanks!  Kinda forgot about that.  Is that the length or OD?
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top