Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2018 8:03:32 PM EDT
So, Classic Firearms was running a deal on a 16" nitride 6.5G barrel for $50 and curiosity overcame me so I ordered it. I'm aware of some short throat issues that some people have experienced with their barrels (usually the 5R ones but not always) so i'll be keeping an eye on that. I received it yesterday and was able to inspect and clean it up today.

The bore was FILTHY, I'm not surprised because I have two other BCA barrels in .223 Wylde and they were similar. After running a patch through after I hosed it out with Ballistol it looked better, then I hosed it out with Hoppes foaming bore cleaner and let it sit for a half hour....the patches proceeded to come out in what I can only describe as a color you only encounter after going on a binge of cheap beer and tacos at the seediest Mexican restaurant in town. At any rate, I got the patches to come out clean finally.

Then began the Flitz. I ran probably 20 Flitz patches front and back (40 total passes) and finished by another hosing out with Ballistol and dry patches till clean.  I can say the bore looks damn near perfect now. One thing I am not terribly excited about however, is the crown isn't very well done so I am going to have to clean that up. It was collecting fibers from the patches at the crown...nothing major, just a little fluff but it certainly needs to be addressed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Just say no to bca unless you need a cheap turd blaster for steel case.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
For Wolf, you're better off getting an Alexander. They seem to do well with the cheap stuff
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Clean it.

Shoot it.

Then decide if it is worth the money.

My 16in BCA is a solid MOA barrel.  It will get deer with no problems.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You can always try a round headed brass screw chucked into a cordless drill, and some lapping compound to clean up the crown
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not sure I'd go with BCA, even for a cheap turd blaster.  I've heard a lot of stories of badly out of spec chambers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Clean it.

Shoot it.

Then decide if it is worth the money.

My 16in BCA is a solid MOA barrel.  It will get deer with no problems.
View Quote
That's the plan.....it was $50....I can afford the gamble

Quoted:
You can always try a round headed brass screw chucked into a cordless drill, and some lapping compound to clean up the crown
View Quote
did that the day before yesterday...looks decent now

Quoted:
I'm not sure I'd go with BCA, even for a cheap turd blaster.  I've heard a lot of stories of badly out of spec chambers.
View Quote
Well if the chamber is out of spec, it will go back and either I get a refund or I get a barrel with a good chamber...from what I've seen, that issue was limited to one run of barrels but what I've seen of course could be wrong

edited to fix formatting
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top