Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2018 10:29:14 AM EDT
I've heard stories about the catch breaking more than standard bolt catches. Have you run into issues with durability? I'm thinking of SBRing my PSA Colt lower but worry about the longer bolt catch.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The 'finger' portion of the bolt catch is not the part that generally breaks, so I don't see how it would be effected one way or the other. My suggestion is you short stroke the buffer via a longer buffer, delrin spacer, etc. so that the bolt catch is either not activated at all, or buffer has minimal travel past it. Momentum is what breaks catches.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW I added a Colt long finger bolt catch to a RRA lower about 10 years ago, no issues.

Started out with a RRA 9mm buffer, then added quarters for a spacer and currently run an 8 oz dedicated buffer and a stronger buffer spring.

I think as long as you limit the overtravel then breakage isn’t a concern.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The reason a bolt catch will break is typically because the pocket in the lower that it sits in is too wide (front to back), and it is allowed to move forward enough that the side where the spring is will contact the lower and cause it to break at the roll pin hole.

Reducing over travel can help, but your best bet is to find a lower/bolt catch that fit together properly, or shim the pocket to make sure the bolt catch can't move enough to break.

This is why some guns never break bolt catches with or without a spacer and others break bolt catches occasionally or frequently.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top