Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2018 3:45:27 PM EDT
Seems like lots of folks really like them, but then there's the newer styles that will use other mags than the M14, not so proprietary.

Do we still like the AR-10B's?

Yeah, I'm pondering a pawn shop buy, seems like a pretty good deal to me. Input is welcome.

Armalite AR-10B, troy rail (yeah, I know...spit), Vortex Spitfire 3x, Timney trigger pack, comes with one mag. $800, which to me seems like a decent deal. Seeing how I don't have any .308 AR's in the stable.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as the barrels bore is in good shape... and you are ok with the magazines.... Armalite makes good stuff.

How it was treated by the previous owner is the thing I would be concerned about.
View Quote
Bore looks as new, the weapon looks like it's had less than a hundred rounds through it. I can't see any defects, it's a consignment sale at a pawn.

Thanks for the input!  The mags and replacement/maintenance parts are some of the things I'm pondering.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
what barrel length? Stainless or Phosphate?

Either way, its a good buy. The Armalite AR10b Gen II mags are pretty fucking awesome, they just dont look pretty. And are heavy. Might have some sharp corners. Boohoo. They work, and work damn good. Ive had more failures with Magpul PMags than I have with Armalite Gen II mags. Ive put alot more rounds through the Gen II mags as well.

Ive opted for the Lancer mags in my AR10A rifle. No failures yet, the pmag failures were due to long ammo. So, not really the mag's fault. But the Gen II mags eat pretty much everything except the longest of bullets. BUT, even then, those longer bullets are stil more likely to feed better in the straight wall design Armalite has.

Anyways, they good mags. I always liked the fact you can use M1A mags in them as well, either cutting a mag catch hole, or holding them in using the weird sling method, or whatever works for you. Even resting the mag isnt so bad on the AR10B because it has mag stops in the upper. Which Help.

Thats not a bad price at all. Ditch the rail, some people still like Troy, Armalite has pretty good options for cheap, except their quad rails. Those are more expensive, but not too bad. I have the Tac15, and I really like it. PRetty decent mounting method, wish it was Mlok, but whatever. Thats just an aesthetics complaint.

Youll be happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I never stopped buying B rifles,parts or mags. I’d get it as long as the price and condition is right.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like in good condition and a great deal.  Buy it.

I only have factory B mags but they have been reliable.  I also have a new pattern a rifle, it wouldnt run out of the box and had to go back for a new barrel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 1:46:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what barrel length? Stainless or Phosphate?

Either way, its a good buy. The Armalite AR10b Gen II mags are pretty fucking awesome, they just dont look pretty. And are heavy. Might have some sharp corners. Boohoo. They work, and work damn good. Ive had more failures with Magpul PMags than I have with Armalite Gen II mags. Ive put alot more rounds through the Gen II mags as well.

Ive opted for the Lancer mags in my AR10A rifle. No failures yet, the pmag failures were due to long ammo. So, not really the mag's fault. But the Gen II mags eat pretty much everything except the longest of bullets. BUT, even then, those longer bullets are stil more likely to feed better in the straight wall design Armalite has.

Anyways, they good mags. I always liked the fact you can use M1A mags in them as well, either cutting a mag catch hole, or holding them in using the weird sling method, or whatever works for you. Even resting the mag isnt so bad on the AR10B because it has mag stops in the upper. Which Help.

Thats not a bad price at all. Ditch the rail, some people still like Troy, Armalite has pretty good options for cheap, except their quad rails. Those are more expensive, but not too bad. I have the Tac15, and I really like it. PRetty decent mounting method, wish it was Mlok, but whatever. Thats just an aesthetics complaint.

Youll be happy with it.
View Quote
16" barrel, in phosphate, looks chrome lined. Picked it up today, I'll take it out in the next couple of weeks to run some rounds through it, get it zero'd.

Thanks for the input, now if it runs well I'll be looking for mags, a decent forend, and a different optic.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the club. There is another website that is gear to the AR-180 series rifle. Google AR180s.com. Dave who runs the site has his side projects that he is trying to build retro AR180 configurations. Plus a good source for some AR180 parts. Mostly, B series but he has this magic to find some original 180 parts once in a while.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top