Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2021 4:32:20 PM EDT
My son has a bone stock PSA Freedom upper mated to a PSA MOE Plus lower which he loves, EXCEPT for the stock trigger. Now that he had a chance to fire the BREN 2, this trigger is no longer satisfactory - doesn't bother ME, but he's a delicate soul, doncha know... I have SOME slight knowledge of how things work inside the rifle, and a drop in unit I could probably do myself...I hope.
So, all he wants is a crisp break with about the same poundage, whatever a stock milspec trigger is set to. He just hates that hard wall. Suggestions within $200 or less?
Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#1]
CMC usually on sale for around 129
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Rock River National Match.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Larue MBT is best value.

I have Geissele SSA-E’s in all mine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Save up another $50 for a geissele SSA-E, or keep an eye on the EE for a used one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Geissele or go home.

Larue is meh, CMC is good but G is best.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Geissele or go home.

View Quote

G SSA-E or SD-E.  save a bit longer and be done with it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Larue MBT or Geissele SSA
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#10]
For a budget friendly, no frills trigger upgrade I like ALG ACT.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Larue MBT-2 for budget. (Under $100)

Geissele on sale for all out best (Under $200)
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#12]
SSA-E is a great trigger.

SD-E if you like a flat bow.

I'm still on the fence personally on which of the above two I like better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Larue MBT-2 for budget. (Under $100)

Larue SSA-E on sale for all out best (Under $200)
View Quote

G makes SSA-E. Not L.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Geissele or go home.

View Quote
Maybe I'm a plebe, but other than the trigger face feel on my finger I don't think I could tell them apart as far as how they break.

I have a ssa ssa-e g2s and a boatload of mbt's.  Oh and a cmmg 2 stage.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm a plebe, but other than the trigger face feel on my finger I don't think I could tell them apart as far as how they break.

View Quote

I can tell. I think the LaRue has a better pull but the Geissele has a better reset.

Either way the LaRue is stupid good for the money.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Not to hijack the OP’s thread....

But  can the SSA be converted to a SSA-E by swapping springs?

The Enhanced is just lighter weight pulls or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you all - when we get the hush money from Xiden we will see what is available. Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I dont think so.  I think it also has to do with the face of the disconnector.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.......I figured they wouldn't make it that easy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For a budget friendly, no frills trigger upgrade I like ALG ACT.
View Quote

I would say this as the best execution of a GI type trigger.  BCM PNT is a close second.

If you want a 2 stage, Larue MBT is hard to beat assuming you can actually get one.

The Geissele triggers are fantastic but don't really belong in the same sentence as any kind of budget.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#21]
The Larue MBT-2 is a real value for it's price.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I run the SSP 504's in 4 guns, and the two stage version in two other guns that are more precision based weapons.
I really tried to get onboard with the Larue but the reset was horrid, the trigger face was the size of Kansas and it really wasn't that great of a break for me.
That and Ive had some bad experiences with Larue's customer service so I decided to dump all their crap systematically selling off their optics mounts and triggers.

Better companies, better products, and better prices. Besides nowadays except for what they farm out ( their triggers ) most of their stuff has fallen behind the curve of technology with higher NV comparable mounts and the ability to ship something within 6 months!
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Larue MBT 2 ! I have it in both of my rifles, one a carbine, the other an SPRish rifle. Very nice triggers. SSA-E are nice but the Larue is already light years past milspec
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 8:23:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I have the
RRA Match 2 stage
MBT-2
SSA-E

While the SSA-e is hands down the best. I find little noticeable difference between the 3.

I also like the ACT ALG trigger for single stage on the cheap..
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#25]
The DSG/Schmid trigger is pretty decent!

I was hesitant at first, but after seeing that its made by the same company doing the CMT triggers....and seeing how those reviewed, I decided to try one.  The first stage is a little rough at first but they break in nicely and the second stage is perfectly adequate for a general purpose setup.

There are better options for a dedicated precision setup, but the reset is short and forceful similar to the G and KAC 2 stage triggers, which frankly I find just as important as a decent second stage break.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Hiperfire - lighter trigger with the same or higher primer impact energy.
CMC - ultra light great single stage triggers, have been 100% reliable for me but allegedly have less primer strike energy like the other triggers noted here like the G family.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have multiple SSA-E, multiple G2S-E, and multiple MBT2.

The SSA-E and G2S-E are ~3.4-3.5lb while the MBT2 is about 3.7-4 pounds... this is on three installed MBT2 triggers and I have 2 in box for future builds. The MBT2 has slightly weaker reset, slightly more travel, slightly more over travel, and slightly longer reset compared to Geissele, but equally good break... we are talking a TINY bit more travel but it exists... the weaker reset and wide trigger is the most noticeable, then the few ounces heavier break, and the extra distances are the least noticeable.

The SSA-E has the shortest overtravel, shortest reset, etc. compared to G2S-E but same break and weight as the G2S-E IMO.

Both the SSA-E and G2S-E vary in break quality and take up smoothness. Depends on your individual trigger, your lower specs, and luck of the draw. One of my G2S-E has a better feel and break than one of my SSA-E, most of my SSA-E feel better than my G2S-E. They could easily be confused and it takes multiple dry fires to sort out what is in what rifle if doing it blind. The best of all the triggers in the group is an SSA- E. The worst of all my Geissele triggers in take up/break is a G2S-E (slightly sticky take up and slight roll or creep as it breaks if you REALLY feel for it), but I do have a G2S-E that is better than a SSA-E in one rifle.

I don't have any SSA or G2S triggers because they are slightly heavier than the Larue MBT and I find them too heavy for my taste.

A Larue MBT2 will put a smile on anyone's face and is not too light for people that are afraid of 3.5 pound triggers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#29]
The son decided on the CMC Triggers AR-15 Tactical Single Stage Curved Trigger, Matte Black (3.5lb), on sale from PSA. I think that was good use of his stimulus money.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Geissele   SSA?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#32]
MBT
ALG
SSA
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#33]
For a combat two stage trigger for a semi-automatic rifle, it is hard to beat the LMT 2-stage.
I know they are rare now, but for a spell their were a lot of take offs from LMT lowers.
WES @ MSTN got me several sets and all have been excellent.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a hiperfire eclipse and its a great trigger. They have similar models in the 200$ range. Also have a couple of the mbt flat bow 2stage and the mbt are probably the best bang for the buck whichever model you choose. The mbt is easier to install and goes in like a standard trigger and being able to tear your rifle down that far is a skill you should both probably have. Just bring up a YouTube video and go step by step. Installing a cam over hiperfire is an adventure.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
CMC - ultra light great single stage triggers, have been 100% reliable for me but allegedly have less primer strike energy like the other triggers noted here like the G family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I didn't know there was an issue with CMC's. I have 4 now and haven't noticed light primer strikes. Do those issues only pertain to certain pound trigger? All mine are 3.5#.

Quoted:
The son decided on the CMC Triggers AR-15 Tactical Single Stage Curved Trigger, Matte Black (3.5lb), on sale from PSA. I think that was good use of his stimulus money.

Very nice, he'll love it for sure. All mine are flat bow. Can't go wrong with CMC.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I replaced the SSA-E springs with the SSA springs to try.
Seat of the finger, It feels like a SSA 1st stage with 1/2 lb more pull than a stock SSA, 2nd stage feels like a SSA-E with 1/2 lb more pull than a stock SSA.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I have Geissele SSA-E and a SD-3G and both are amazing.  That said, I also have an older CMC and it is just about as good as the G for a fraction of the cost.  If you want the best, get the SSA-E.  If you want to save a little and still get a trigger that most people will love, get the CMC (they go on sale too so you can sometimes get them cheaper).  My $0.02.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I own Geissele, Rock River Arms and ALG-ACT triggers and the ALG-ACT trigger is the best value by far. It's not as light or adjustable, but for $65 it's a fantastic trigger. I think it's a better trigger than the Rock River Arms which costs more.

Geissele is in a class by itself. The price reflect that. My personal opinion is a home defense/duty weapon shouldn't have a trigger lighter than the NRA/CMP/DCM standard of 4.5 pounds minimum trigger pull. This is plenty light for excellent accuracy and safe enough for duty use.

Any trigger that breaks cleanly at 5.5 pounds or less is head and shoulders better than standard issue.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#39]
The CMC trigger arrived this weekend, install and function test next weekend. Thank you to everyone who helped with advice and positive comments.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Alg act if he wants single stage, Giessele SSA or g2s (same feel) if he wants 2 stage.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#41]
He loves this new trigger, just keeps saying "yes" over and over again - did I raise Gollum?
BTW note that if you teach them safety when young, they remember it - note where his trigger finger is while he comes on target.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top