Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/23/2020 11:20:55 AM EDT

I figure my only options here are MAYBE cut down a wrench to a small L and somehow get in there. Or else I don't know...Another muzzle device.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what I'm looking at.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure what I'm looking at.
View Quote

Adjustable gas block screw is blocked by muzzle device shoulders.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#3]
There's truly no happy medium setting you can set and forget it on?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Ball end Allen wrench looks like it might work.  If not, cutting one down will probably be your only option.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

If he’s wanting to tune it with the can on for a dedicated suppressed setup, not really, only way to get it there is with live fire with the can mounted.

If he’s looking to tune it to a “happy medium” he could just tune it with no muzzle device mounted unsuppressed, then mount the muzzle device back up when he’s done.

One of the many reasons I prefer adjustable carriers over AGBs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If he’s wanting to tune it with the can on for a dedicated suppressed setup, not really, only way to get it there is with live fire with the can mounted.

If he’s looking to tune it to a “happy medium” he could just tune it with no muzzle device mounted unsuppressed, then mount the muzzle device back up when he’s done.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If you would consider a different gas block, OP, Strike Industries makes an adjustable unit that is adjusted via a collar on the rear.
You can access it through the hand guard.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Micro MOA govnah is truly your only option!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Micro MOA govnah is truly your only option!
View Quote

aww that's mean.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks like you could get an allen key on it
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Needle nose vice grips for the win!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Dremel a slot at 12:00 on the flange.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Time muzzle device. Mark it where it needs a relief cut. Remove and notch it. Reinstall.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Time muzzle device. Mark it where it needs a relief cut. Remove and notch it. Reinstall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well shit......

That's a damn good idea. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well shit......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well shit......

Are you trying to tune it with your can installed?  If so, notching the muzzle device won’t help you.  If not, just tune it without the muzzle device installed and install it afterwards, negating the need to butcher your suppressor mount.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are you trying to tune it with your can installed?  If so, notching the muzzle device won’t help you.  If not, just tune it without the muzzle device installed and install it afterwards, negating the need to butcher your suppressor mount.
View Quote

I don't have a can

Does tuning adjustable gas blocks need to be done if you are a reloader? Or is the range broad enough to where if it goes bang with one it will go bang with the other?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't have a can

Does tuning adjustable gas blocks need to be done if you are a reloader? Or is the range broad enough to where if it goes bang with one it will go bang with the other?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a can

Really depends on how you tune it.  

Unless you’ve got a barrel with a massively oversized gas port or are tuning a gun to the ragged edge of reliability with lightweight reciprocating components for “gamer” purposes (which would mean sticking to one specific load for the rifle), I see little reason for an AGB on an unsuppressed gun in the first place.

What are you trying to accomplish with the AGB?  Why are you using that specific suppressor mount if you don’t have a suppressor to mount to it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Unless you’ve got a barrel with a massively oversized gas port or are tuning a gun to the ragged edge of reliability with lightweight reciprocating components for “gamer” purposes (which would mean sticking to one specific load for the rifle), I see little reason for an AGB on an unsuppressed gun in the first place.

What are you trying to accomplish with the AGB?  Why are you using that specific suppressor mount if you don’t have a suppressor to mount to it?
View Quote

It's a midlength 11.5 and I just want reliable cycling

I really liked the way the brake looked

Maybe I should adjust it with bare muzzle to where it's reliable and then put the muzzle device on?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s a long gas system on a short barrel in the first place.  Most of the ones I’ve seen sold are advertised as being for use on dedicated suppressed guns.  What makes you think you needed an AGB?  If anything, I could see that gun being undergassed without a suppressor, not the other way around.

ETA:  Are you using a Faxon barrel?  I see they recommend an AGB with their barrel because the gas port has to be hogged out for reliable function.  They also specifically advertise the barrel as being perfect for use with suppressors.  Definitely wouldn’t be my choice for use 100% unsuppressed but I’d be interested to see how it works.

ETA 2:  If so, I’d either just swap out to a smaller diameter muzzle device or just notch it and move on with life.  Seems to be some mixed reports on unsuppressed functionality with lighter .223 pressure loads, but only way to know for sure is to test it out.  Tuning the block with the muzzle device removed should work as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Or you could take the gas adjustment screw out and grind some flats on the outside of it so you can get or make a small wrench to fit on it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't have a can

View Quote

Oof. If anything your barrel will be undergassed, meaning the gas block would need to be opened anyway. Adding an adjustable gas block does you no favors here, especially without a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]
That’s a Griffin Armament taper mount tactical comp.  That sloped surface at the rear is the surface that the taper mount locks onto.  You don’t want to mess that up, unless you never intend to use a GA suppressor, or other can that uses the GA taper mount via Plan A.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Not to change the subject, the muzzle device has a weld on it?  I am not familiar with GA, but what is the weld bead for?  Or am I looking at the picture wrong?

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not to change the subject, the muzzle device has a weld on it?  I am not familiar with GA, but what is the weld bead for?  Or am I looking at the picture wrong?

View Quote

They're assembled from 2 pieces to simplify manufacturing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Get some weak ammo like PMC Bronze or Tula. Take the muzzle device off. Open the gas block all the way up. Load and fire a round. If the bolt locks back, close the block until it won't lock back. Then open it back up until it locks back again and then open the block a little more still. Put the muzzle device back on. Or, if you don't care about cycling weak ammo,  do this with whatever ammo you want it to cycle.

Use Rocksett and relatively low torque on the muzzle device. If you need  to remove it later, soak it in water for a few hours.

You'll probably wind up with the block open all the  way,  so access to the adjustment screw is likely to be a moot point anyway.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ball end Allen wrench looks like it might work.  If not, cutting one down will probably be your only option.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.

It looks like you have enough gap there that a ball end Allen wrench should work just fine. Here's a photo illustrating what I mean:

Try this before grinding or removing anything.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It looks like you have enough gap there that a ball end Allen wrench should work just fine. Here's a photo illustrating what I mean:

https://toolguyd.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Bondhus-Tools-that-Work-Ball-Driver.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://toolguyd.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Bondhus-Tools-that-Work-Ball-Driver.jpg

If its the faxon barrel and Superlative Arms gas block ball end works, but barely.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Maybe I should adjust it with bare muzzle to where it's reliable and then put the muzzle device on?
View Quote

You have almost no dwell distance. Unless the gas port is oversized, I don't think the gun will cycle, but I've never tried it myself.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I?
View Quote

People just don't get it. Adjustable gas blocks only give you less gas, they can't give you more gas.
People run adjustable gas blocks so they can tune the gun down to where it barely cycles for reduced recoil and so they can run exotic titanium LW bolt carriers.
Despite what some may say, I have absolutely never had over gassed cause a reliability problem.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:34:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Solution: ditch the adjustable gas block.

Not trying to be snarky here, but seriously... it’s an 11.5 middy... you need gas.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:19:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hard to tell the angle from the pics, but that was my first thought. I’d try that before trying anything else.

This is what we’re talking about-https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Hex-Allen-Wrench-Ball/dp/B0776C2D6H

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Don’t over complicate it, ditch the adjustable GB
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top