Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2018 3:13:06 PM EDT
I am currently just more moved to A2. Don't even know why.

I just found another A2 Colt original grip. This one must be really old; it's still of the shiny texture, fat and round.
I don't think it came ever better than this hence, I'm posting it.

It'll go on one of the several builds I have, I'm going nuts with all of this good stuff.

Colt A2 Original Grip  by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Colt A2 original Grip by SoloDallas, on Flickr

ETA pictured here with friends; it's so fat and glossy that I am about to just bite it, enough!

The Goodness
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fat and glossy .
I like it. I bought one not long ago very similar, it ended up on a buddy's build. I miss it.

Nice Commando build man....
View Quote
Coming from you? It's gold.

PS been going back to old threads, admiring your own stuff, knowledge.
Thank you brother, I owe you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nah, I enjoy your posts as well.

I'm just a gun whore, and ARs make me happy.
View Quote
WOOO HOOOO!

ETA: boom!

Colt A2 733
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice. By the way, does the grip have any mold markings up inside? If so, what are they or can you take a pic? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very nice. By the way, does the grip have any mold markings up inside? If so, what are they or can you take a pic? Thanks.
View Quote
I peeked and I think I have seen something; will look again and take a picture.
I have two of these shiny ones (which I assume are the early ones); one is very used, the other is almost like new (pictured up there).

Will picture both.

ETA: any of you bro's knows where I can find a set of skinny hand guards? I bought one from Brownells and it just will not fit.
I don't know why, I think it was meant to go on an M4 profile (so it says) so probably it's not compatible with the hardware on these barrells/rings.

The one from Brownells won't fit. Tried desperately, it won't go. So I had to revert to the one set I had but I'd love to find accurate and great looking stuff.

The one from Brownells
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CAVMFG
View Quote
Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I really do like it.

Ron
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really do like it.

Ron
View Quote
Thanks Ronnie!
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Update (bunch of stuff).

First, it hurts me to have to show the Colt 733 upper as a pistol. But that's all I can do. Shown with SBA3

733 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Then, I was asked to show markings inside the grips so here it is.

Colt A2 Vintage Grip
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

This is the very used one (between the two) and I love its looks anyway. They seem to have the same marking and it seems to be a circled 1

Colt Vintage A2 Grip
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Second one is newer and I installed it on an A2 clone:

A2 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Grip is marked circled 1

Colt Vintage A2 Grip
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#15]
My only original A2 grip has the Circle 1 on the inside as well.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My only original A2 grip has the Circle 1 on the inside as well.
View Quote
Awesome - so we have that confirmed.

ETA

Thanks for your kind words as well brothers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Awesome - so we have that confirmed.

ETA

Thanks for your kind words as well brothers.
View Quote
If it matters, my early 6520 has the grip marked on the inside with a circle 4
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll have to take a peak at my Colt.  I'll give a hollar when I do and tell you what it is.  I think it might be the same thing.  Circled 1.  I remember looking a while back.

I don't care about the pistol lower.  It's a very cool build.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'll have to take a peak at my Colt.  I'll give a hollar when I do and tell you what it is.  I think it might be the same thing.  Circled 1.  I remember looking a while back.

I don't care about the pistol lower.  It's a very cool build.
View Quote
Thanks bruh!
I am sure 100% yours has the circle one. In fact, I remember admiring your pistol grip because it did have a different look from the ones I used to have (since then, I found at least four - and bought them - with the circled one).

These pistol grips are different from any other. The middle finger rest is actually comfortable, as it was supposed to be by design.

It's my favorite pistol grip. Yours is that, as I remember it from its shape.

ETA: updated picture of the same. Different pistol lower (with no scripts or logos, hate that); different upper more in line with barrel nature and placement in history; genuine Colt slim hand guards (they, too, are immensely different from non-originals). Colt BCG and many other little tidbits.

Vintage Clone by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#20]
You’re not alone. My first any only pistol.

Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You're not alone. My first any only pistol.

https://i.imgur.com/UihNxfv.jpg
View Quote
Cousin!
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]
First of all , I love your builds especially the 733s you've done, I am seriously spinning a similar pistol build as you for a bhd inspired set up

Do you mind telling me where you sourced your barrels from, finding 11.5 inchers with the right contour doesn't seem to be the easiest task. The closest I've seen is from spikes short of buying a modern commando upper and swapping the a3 to a c7 or a2. I might just cheap out and get a ballistic advantage government
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
First of all , I love your builds especially the 733s you've done, I am seriously spinning a similar pistol build as you for a bhd inspired set up

Do you mind telling me where you sourced your barrels from, finding 11.5 inchers with the right contour doesn't seem to be the easiest task. The closest I've seen is from spikes short of buying a modern commando upper and swapping the a3 to a c7 or a2. I might just cheap out and get a ballistic advantage government
View Quote
I tried the route of approximation (getting different stuff) and then, when I put it together, I hated it.
That happened to me a few times. You must realize I live in CA; so for me it's nearly impossible to get actual lowers or even certain firearms that, otherwise, I would buy instantly.

So I had to learn to put together stuff from bits.

Barrels: you'll be happy with this guy (Geno). He's really great - buy with confidence.
He's great with barrels, pistol grips (vintage), hand guards etc.

Geno on Gunbroker

Thanks for appreciating what I'm trying to do!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Ugh, I forgot to grab it and look yesterday.  I went downstairs cuz I needed some tools to hang a picture and I forgot to grab it......

I hung one of my drawings on the wall in my bedroom.  My son said it looked good this morning.  That's the first compliment I've gotten from him in a long time. (he's 18 now) The little things in life....

Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ugh, I forgot to grab it and look yesterday.  I went downstairs cuz I needed some tools to hang a picture and I forgot to grab it......

I hung one of my drawings on the wall in my bedroom.  My son said it looked good this morning.  That's the first compliment I've gotten from him in a long time. (he's 18 now) The little things in life....

https://i.imgur.com/m2ws52w.jpg
View Quote
She's gorgeous, captain! You know JJ, I used to draw like a crazy when I was a kid, in Shitaly.
Couldn't own any guns, didn't know a single human whom owned one (in Shitaly) and I was immensely attracted to the ones we now consider 'vintage ones'. The ones you see me obsessively amass.

Well done, dad!
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#26]
If you can't own em, draw em.  I don't have enough money to buy all the ones I want.  So I draw them.  LOL.

We are way off topic but thank you.  I appreciate it.  You don't still have some of those drawings do you?  LOL.  Are you an artist too?  Seems like music and art goes together possibly?  I still gotta send you some stuff.

Oh man what a joke.   Nice light.  LOL.  Personally, I actually quite like a light just taped to the handguards.   Might need something a bit better than that though.  LOL.

Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you can't own em, draw em.  I don't have enough money to buy all the ones I want.  So I draw them.  LOL.

We are way off topic but thank you.  I appreciate it.  You don't still have some of those drawings do you?  LOL.  Are you an artist too?  Seems like music and art goes together possibly?  I still gotta send you some stuff.

Oh man what a joke.   Nice light.  LOL.  Personally, I actually quite like a light just taped to the handguards.   Might need something a bit better than that though.  LOL.

https://i.imgur.com/UNcT3e5.jpg
View Quote
Dad,
when you have a rifle such as that one - which is TEH original - you can do what you want with it. Cheap light with tape or even, an open, burning match attached via popsicle: she still gonna be a beaut.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Tape and 550 cord are the old school tactical attachment kit. When my KaBar sheath rotted away in the Philippines, I used 100mph tape to make a new sheath, and it worked too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

A2 upper built with a brand new Colt Government profile barrel , Colt upper .
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tape and 550 cord are the old school tactical attachment kit. When my KaBar sheath rotted away in the Philippines, I used 100mph tape to make a new sheath, and it worked too.
View Quote
I did that too with a knife I used for work when I was in cabinetry.  I used an old hunting knife to open the boxes and slit the plastic.  I think it was an "old timer" brand.  The sheath came apart eventually and I also busted the tip off on the knife eventually.  It had a good run of about 3 years of work solid though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/493308/05E22DF4-4A4D-4DB8-9B80-E2CF45722119_jpeg-879255.JPG
A2 upper built with a brand new Colt Government profile barrel , Colt upper .
View Quote
niiiiiiiiice
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Dad,
when you have a rifle such as that one - which is TEH original - you can do what you want with it. Cheap light with tape or even, an open, burning match attached via popsicle: she still gonna be a beaut.
View Quote
thanks man. I even was fondling it the other night and I didn't take a pic of the grip.   I'll get to it sometime.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

niiiiiiiiice
View Quote
Thanks ! It was a virgin stripped barrel , my gunsmith had to get the bit to put the recesses were the pins went . Thing shoots dead on when I stuck it on a green label A2 lower I got for $250.00 .
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Update (bunch of stuff).

First, it hurts me to have to show the Colt 733 upper as a pistol. But that's all I can do. Shown with SBA3

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4835/46048115941_468e567941_b.jpg
733 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Then, I was asked to show markings inside the grips so here it is.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4857/45323702334_c6b816941d_b.jpg
Colt A2 Vintage Grip
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

This is the very used one (between the two) and I love its looks anyway. They seem to have the same marking and it seems to be a circled 1

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4839/45998191402_d2e8c86611_b.jpg
Colt Vintage A2 Grip
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Second one is newer and I installed it on an A2 clone:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4828/32177042898_011cb06e61_b.jpg
A2 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Grip is marked circled 1

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4823/45998190742_e80f292b03_b.jpg
Colt Vintage A2 Grip
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
I was going to suggest you plunk down the $200 for the stamp until I saw where you reside.

Gotta work with what you can!
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I was going to suggest you plunk down the $200 for the stamp until I saw where you reside.

Gotta work with what you can!
View Quote
Oh I would bruh. I would, immediately. I would truly SBR a lot of my lowers. But I can't from here.

One day... (sighs)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Oh I would bruh. I would, immediately. I would truly SBR a lot of my lowers. But I can't from here.

One day... (sighs)

Thanks!
View Quote
GET OUT OF THERE!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

GET OUT OF THERE!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote
Looking into it as we type this - wife and I (and our two children) are considering other options.

Enough is enough.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Dude.....

I forgot to put my Colt A2 grip pic in here....

Link Posted: 5/2/2019 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Dude.....

I forgot to put my Colt A2 grip pic in here....

https://i.imgur.com/8lsElGo.jpg
View Quote
But we knew already you got the good one!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#40]
I will say this, I really like how newer ones use the allen head.  I have a T shaped tool that makes installation and taking off a snap.  That flat head, ugh.  I just noticed how bunged up mine is.  The slot is so wide there really isn't a good flat head to use.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I will say this, I really like how newer ones use the allen head.  I have a T shaped tool that makes installation and taking off a snap.  That flat head, ugh.  I just noticed how bunged up mine is.  The slot is so wide there really isn't a good flat head to use.
View Quote
JJ my brother... let me introduce you to the hollow ground parallel screwdriver...hollow ground screwdriver tips

Pachmayr has a decent set for the money...https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-03047-31Piece-Tool-Kit-x/dp/B002GJNECY. I can't remember where I found my set but they were in the gun section at the sporting goods area.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

JJ my brother... let me introduce you to the hollow ground parallel screwdriver...hollow ground screwdriver tips

Pachmayr has a decent set for the money...https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-03047-31Piece-Tool-Kit-x/dp/B002GJNECY. I can't remember where I found my set but they were in the gun section at the sporting goods area.
View Quote
This ?
It is crazy how much better using the proper bit is compared to a generic bit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Thank you.  I think I need to pick some of them up.  I haven't bought tools much in a long time.  But I'm starting to go through and organize.  I had enough extras to make both my son and daughter a starter tool box with the general essentials while I was cleaning and organizing before my Mother in law came to stay.  And I'm pretty sure I don't have any of those hollow ground tips or screwdrivers anywhere in my boxes.  So.....  I need to try some.  Actually there's one ratchet screwdriver kit I need to look and double check if there are any.  But I don't think I have any as wide as that slot is on the A2 grip.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top