Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2021 9:10:23 PM EDT
I've been reading up on optics.

Thermal?? Seems very interesting. Do these work indoors??

I'm preparing to get into optics, at least for me, in a major way.
My eyes are not what they use to be. I own it.

So, I need a good mix of stuff. It teaches me what I like and don't like.
Red dots and thermal have my attention.

Thor??? Is this a reliable brand??
Brownell's has a sale and it's in stock.

ETA: This is what I'm looking at:
4-8x Thor-LT Thermal Scope W/ 30mm 0 MOA DC QDM Mount

I was thinking since I have those two A4's, one could have thermal ability.
The other outfitted with typical A4 optic.

ETA2: I'm not interested in legacy optics.
Latest and greatest please!!

Opinions please.

TIA

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they’ll work indoors, but they’re not really suited to the role of a general purpose optic nor are they really the best choice for something like clearing a structure.  They can’t see through glass, generally have a relatively small FOV compared to something like an RDS, there is some lag/latency with quick movement in a lot of units, most options won’t have a true “1x” image, and they’re really expensive (compared to something like an RDS).

A thermal scope would be a good choice in a low/no light environment where you need to detect living objects that may be camouflaged/concealed, usually with at least some distance between you and a potential target.

ETA:  No, that ATN product is absolute bottom of the barrel in the thermal world and ATN is known for absolute shit customer service and generally unreliable products.

If you’re looking for a thermal scope, figure on budgeting $2k-$2.5k at the minimum for a quality budget option.  Even then, you’re going to be getting a Chinese core and 320 resolution.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top