BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 22
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:40:16 AM EST
[#1]
Good review on the 2x ACSS Prism.

Primary Arms 2x Prism (the end of the world red dot)
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 2:26:36 PM EST
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5lpXUASSs4
View Quote

Love Daddy Flannel videos
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 2:36:40 PM EST
[#3]

View Quote

the brightness is a bummer. it otherwise checked all my boxes and i know it'll be brick shithouse tough given all the other videos of people trying to break PA's optics
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:26:26 PM EST
[#4]
I was out shooting with mine just this past Saturday. At high noon. It was a mix of sun and clouds...brightness level 7 the whole time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:56:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: PacNW5] [#5]

View Quote

GT makes good videos even though I think fixed magnification is really limiting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:59:57 PM EST
[#6]
Will PA get rid of the awful Algerian ms word font used? It really cheapens the look of the optic.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 4:00:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: Creature] [#7]
Originally Posted By PN5X5:

GT makes good videos even though I think fixed magnification is really limiting.
View Quote

This optic just might alter your perception about that...or at least carve out an exception. It did for me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 4:07:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: MRW] [#8]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 6:28:15 PM EST
[#9]
Originally Posted By Creature:

This optic just might alter your perception about that...or at least carve out an exception. It did for me.
View Quote

A buddy has their 3x version and it looks good but only for bench shooting. Too slow for up close stuff.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:25:18 PM EST
[#10]
@Marsh1,
Do you have the weight of the optic with the mount/risers? I'm building a sub 6# rifle with this optic in mind and GT made it clear in his video that the 11oz was optic alone without the mount. Trying to wait patiently for my preorder (2nd run) to ship. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:09:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: MARSH1] [#11]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:11:17 PM EST
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:19:23 PM EST
[#13]
Originally Posted By MARSH1:

Fiber and Tritium are covered by patents so not an option.
View Quote
Patent a little spot where the user can drop in their own tritium vial and lock it in with a setscrew? Hide it in a battery compartment for security?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:40:18 PM EST
[#14]

A buddy has their 3x version and it looks good but only for bench shooting. Too slow for up close stuff.
View Quote

There is no comparison. I don’t have mine in hand yet but looking at the figures the 2x blows the 3x waaaay out of the water.

Like comparing apples to oranges.

One thing to try to:  up close shooting try occluded. I’ve practiced it and works well even on 3-9 scopes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:58:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: PacNW5] [#15]
Originally Posted By GrantS:

There is no comparison. I don’t have mine in hand yet but looking at the figures the 2x blows the 3x waaaay out of the water.

Like comparing apples to oranges.

One thing to try to:  up close shooting try occluded. I’ve practiced it and works well even on 3-9 scopes.
View Quote

I used to run a Compact ACOG before LPVOs became commonplace and now, I really don't see how dudes choose fixed scopes nowadays. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:58:39 AM EST
[#16]

I used to run a Compact ACOG before LPVOs became commonplace and now, I really don't see how dudes choose fixed scopes nowadays. YMMV.
View Quote

Because a quality LPVO is ~17oz and a quality mount is ~7oz. That is more than double that of the glx 2x.

LPVOs are amazing at being a jack of all trades option (the quality options at least) but excel at little. There have been many posts from older guys with 20+ years running every LPVO under the sun that have come to that conclusion.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:59:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: HunterKiller86] [#17]
dupe, delete
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:01:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: PacNW5] [#18]
Originally Posted By HunterKiller86:

Because a quality LPVO is ~17oz and a quality mount is ~7oz. That is more than double that of the glx 2x.

LPVOs are amazing at being a jack of all trades option (the quality options at least) but excel at little. There have been many posts from older guys with 20+ years running every LPVO under the sun that have come to that conclusion.
View Quote

Seems to me that excelling at little more accurately describes a fixed magnification optic more than an LPVO.  Not close enough to 1x for red dot performance and not enough magnification for 400 yd shooting.  I think the only time I shoot at 2x or 3x are targets between 50-150 yds.
PS Apologies for the thread jack, OP.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:21:57 AM EST
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 1:00:34 PM EST
[#20]

The weight of the optics with mount and riser is 11 oz
View Quote

Great news, thank you. Your webstore now says out of stock vice the preorder words and I got an email this morning from The Firearm Blog saying GLx scopes are now shipping. I'm hoping that means these are on there way soon.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 1:33:29 PM EST
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:21:50 PM EST
[#22]

They are shipping to individual and dealers that have already placed orders.  Plenty more more are on the way. We will turn pre order back on once we get notice that shipment is ready to submit to company that handles the exporting. Even send by air shipping, clearing customs and going through QC is taking around 30 days.
View Quote

Sweet!!!! Can't wait to get my order!
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:04:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: Johnson184] [#23]

We are very proud of this one!! That said there is still something special about Acogs, which is why they are still so popular and widely used by military and LE. US made, great glass, dead nuts reliable with no electronics
View Quote

What are your thoughts on the LED ACOGs? Also dead nuts reliable?
I guess I have a soft spot for the 3.5x and 4x ACOGs... but never liked that the tritium would die out over the years and require a hefty replacement fee for each of them. The LED ones seem like the perfect option if they're also dead nuts reliable...

Having said that, definitely wanna grab your new 2x GLx! Just to confirm... it uses standard acog mounts? Just wanna make sure I get the correct RS Regulate upper optic mount since I'd like to slap this on my AK74!
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:12:21 PM EST
[#24]
Originally Posted By Johnson184:

What are your thoughts on the LED ACOGs? Also dead nuts reliable?
I guess I have a soft spot for the 3.5x and 4x ACOGs... but never liked that the tritium would die out over the years and require a hefty replacement fee for each of them. The LED ones seem like the perfect option if they're also dead nuts reliable...

Having said that, definitely wanna grab your new 2x GLx! Just to confirm... it uses standard acog mounts? Just wanna make sure I get the correct RS Regulate upper optic mount since I'd like to slap this on my AK74!
View Quote

It takes the mini Acog mounts
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:27:37 PM EST
[#25]

They are shipping to individual and dealers that have already placed orders.  Plenty more more are on the way. We will turn pre order back on once we get notice that shipment is ready to submit to company that handles the exporting. Even send by air shipping, clearing customs and going through QC is taking around 30 days.
View Quote

Dang...knew I should've checked out my cart last night!
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:00:15 PM EST
[#26]
Any idea when they start production on the 1-8?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:27:44 AM EST
[#27]

View Quote

Woohoo!!! Can’t wait
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:26:51 AM EST
[#28]
Does anyone have a picture with a low mount or no riser from the side?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:40:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: MRW] [#29]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:48:13 PM EST
[#30]

This is what I wanted to see. I wanted to see how low it can go without risers. I'm thinking of mounting this on my M1A Socom with an ARMS#18 mount.

I currently have a Burris RT6 with low rings and don't really like the setup.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:00:06 PM EST
[#31]
I’m going to try one out....love the ACSS and hate my astigmatism...
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:09:42 AM EST
[#32]

View Quote

Can you confirm Optics-Trade.EU will be getting their preorder too please? Heheh sorry to keep asking but the guns had a full strip and rebuild and is just waiting for the final piece now. Been holding off booking my local range as i really want to get the Glx on there!
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:48:49 AM EST
[#33]
3x 'compact prism' was kind of a PA implementation of the ACOG TA33 concept, which wasn't that good to begin with, poor FOV. I've always wondered what would happen if one could build a 2x in the 3x body with great ER and a huge FOV. If this addresses these questions, it's a winner.

Link Posted: 6/26/2020 3:33:15 PM EST
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 4:22:46 AM EST
[#35]

Yes!  There is enough going through QC now to fill all orders.  We will be turning pre order back on soon for the next batch with a late August/Early Sept ship date
View Quote

Woohoo!

Link Posted: 6/27/2020 7:35:09 PM EST
[#36]
Pre-ordered on 31 May and it shipped out today!  Should have it by Tues or Wed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 7:52:31 PM EST
[#37]
Odd. Ordered mine on 5/2... no notice yet.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:07:38 PM EST
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:31:00 PM EST
[#39]
I really hope that PA is making moves to not be in china. there are plenty of other allies that could do the manufacturing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:48:31 AM EST
[#40]
I can’t seem to pre-order . Sent an email to Marsh but does anyone know if they do not ship to Cook County Illinois ?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:48:36 PM EST
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 7:11:36 PM EST
[#42]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I really hope that PA is making moves to not be in china. there are plenty of other allies that could do the manufacturing.
View Quote

Cool.  Name them, the price point, and the manufacturing capabilities.  Every PA thread gets this BS.  Buy something else then.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:37:18 PM EST
[#43]
Originally Posted By AnimalMother556:

Cool.  Name them, the price point, and the manufacturing capabilities.  Every PA thread gets this BS.  Buy something else then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AnimalMother556:
Originally Posted By slappomatt:

Ya this crap is getting old. You never see it in Swampfox and vortex threads.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:29:55 PM EST
[#44]
I have a couple of questions.

I assume this optic is made for the same situations/reasons as an ACOG. However I think most ACOGs are in the 2.5x to 4x magnification range. I think they are also made for both eyes open shooting for distance and CQB.

Why would I want a 2x over the 2.5x or 4x? Field of view? Better up close shooting?

Why not the 3x PA over the 2x PA?

I know I cannot expect these to be as bullet proof as an ACOG, but would you be comfortable putting the 2x or 3x on an AR10 battle rifle that may see some rough use?

Thank You. By the way, I have bought a lot of PA stuff over the years and love them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 1:43:42 AM EST
[#45]
Originally Posted By KTM300XCW:
I assume this optic is made for the same situations/reasons as an ACOG. However I think most ACOGs are in the 2.5x to 4x magnification range.
View Quote

ACOGs are available from 1.5x to 6x

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 4:34:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: Creature] [#46]

I assume this optic is made for the same situations/reasons as an ACOG. However I think most ACOGs are in the 2.5x to 4x magnification range. I think they are also made for both eyes open shooting for distance and CQB.

Why would I want a 2x over the 2.5x or 4x? Field of view? Better up close shooting?

I know I cannot expect these to be as bullet proof as an ACOG, but would you be comfortable putting the 2x or 3x on an AR10 battle rifle that may see some rough use?

Thank You. By the way, I have bought a lot of PA stuff over the years and love them.
View Quote

Because a lot of times, especially at 'Joe Dirt' distances, 1x just isn't quite enough...and 3x is too much.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:58:56 AM EST
[#47]
Originally Posted By broberts001:
Odd. Ordered mine on 5/2... no notice yet.
View Quote

Ordered 4/26, no shipping notice yet
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:37:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: KTM300XCW] [#48]

View Quote

The reason I am asking these questions is because I was originally going to purchase an ACOG TA11 (3.5x) to replace the LPVO on the below 7.62 rifle as it is supposed to be an ideal optic for CQB and longer ranges due to the ability to shoot Both Eyes Open. It also has good eye relief for a 7.62 rifle. However, after seeing the PA alternative, I am trying to figure out if it will suit my needs. I like the lower cost for sure. Any input is appreciated.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:38:32 AM EST
[#49]
Originally Posted By Creature:

Because a lot of times, especially at 'Joe Dirt' distances, 1x just isn't quite enough...and 3x is too much.
View Quote

This makes it sound like the optic has a very limited range of use. I doubt that is the case.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:51:50 AM EST
[#50]
There are many pluses to the optic that outweigh 1x speed in many people's eyes (many people's referring to low power prism users).

- Etched reticle
- ACSS reticle
- Diopter, extremely appreciated by those with astigmatism
Page / 22
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top