User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
That monolithic upper reminds me of my Aero Precision monolithic upper, just a bit more refined.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ap/c-o-p-monolithic-upper-receiver/  -- scroll down to the different side-rail choices, and they basically look the same.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given the mask and eye protection are you sure that isnt an airsofter?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nope.
That is definitely a real SAS operative, but you did have good reason to assume such.

Quoted:
I am thinking its real SAS, his upper is the IUR 10', and I am certain no airsoft companies have reproduced it yet.
No airsoft companies have made the monolitic IUR, but Angry Gun has made L119A2 IUR handguards that can go on your WE gas blow back rifles. However, it is a hanguard you screw on a barrel nut and is not monolithic, and looking closely, you can see a gap between the upper and handguard. I believe the make long carbine and short SBR handguard configurations.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, 100% sure.

It is VERY common for UKSF to wear airsoft masks for PERSEC reasons.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Not a L119A2, but it is an IUR. Check out what Larry Vickers recently posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o-UDnIWQgk
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not a L119A2, but it is an IUR. Check out what Larry Vickers recently posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o-UDnIWQgk
View Quote
Early Dutch contract variant, 15.7 barrel.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Early Dutch contract variant, 15.7 barrel.
View Quote
Definitely. I just now noticed that in front of the hand guard, there is a screw below the rails on the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions to add on a hand guard extension like their current service rifles. I was under the impression that the Dutch IUR was a Gen.1 while the Danish IUR (with and without QD slots) was a Gen.2 and the L119A2 was a Gen.3 IUR. Am I wrong? If so, please correct me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Definitely. I just now noticed that in front of the hand guard, there is a screw below the rails on the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions to add on a hand guard extension like their current service rifles. I was under the impression that the Dutch IUR was a Gen.1 while the Danish IUR (with and without QD slots) was a Gen.2 and the L119A2 was a Gen.3 IUR. Am I wrong? If so, please correct me.
View Quote
The official word from Colt Canada is that there is no Generation designators on IUR, simply specific variants for country requirements.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Here's a clear photo of the receiver extension, extension nut and receiver.

You'll notice that the threads are machined away, unlike on the American counterpart, and the extension nut is often referred to as the older Colt style. The reasoning behind the deletion of the threads, and the older style of staked nut was due to the NBC gear requirement of the CF. They determined that the threads and the newer version of the nut - the actual castle nut, had a high risk of cutting the gloves of the CF's NBC gear, should they theoretically ever need to use it.

Clearly, that has carried forward into what Colt Canada continues to manufacture. The image also shows Colt Canada's newer style of receiver endplate/sling attachment point.

pm or comment if you guys want any more detailed photos of the lower receiver.. or the upper for that matter!

Cheers
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#9]
It should be noted however, due to thread title, that is NOT the endplate issued on the L119A2.

The Magpul ASAP is issue for the L119A2.

Can you start an additional Canada specific thread? I'd love to get more info on the Canadian rifles, which are different again to the UKSF models and it seems like you have enough info to start such a thread!
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It should be noted however, due to thread title, that is NOT the endplate issued on the L119A2.

The Magpul ASAP is issue for the L119A2.

Can you start an additional Canada specific thread? I'd love to get more info on the Canadian rifles, which are different again to the UKSF models and it seems like you have enough info to start such a thread!
View Quote
Absolutely! Happy to start a Canadian thread - you are indeed correct that the Magpul ASAP is the issued sling for the UKSF - whether they were installed by Colt Canada, or by the UKs armorers I can't comment.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#11]

thank you for the images of the gas block, these are the first images of it I've been able to find!
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#12]
@elucidate  @BarrelandForge

True North Arms will start selling IUR wrenches (as well as barrel nuts) soon. Link

Apparently Colt Canada IUR wrenches are available through Nordic Marksman (but not listed on their site), but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Would a 6940 wrench work with a Danish overrun IUR?

Does the MRR use the same barrel wrench as the IUR?

Quoted:
Quoted:

@elucidate

Do you know if anyone is selling IUR (and/or MRR) barrel nut wrenches?
I've only ever heard rumors of them existing in non-LEO etc. hands, never anything more concrete.
View Quote
I do not know, I had to make one.
View Quote
Quoted:
Quoted:

@elucidate

Do you know if anyone is selling IUR (and/or MRR) barrel nut wrenches?
I've only ever heard rumors of them existing in non-LEO etc. hands, never anything more concrete.
View Quote
They're fairly un-available, and stupid expensive for what they are. Most people or shops who have done changes, likely also made their own.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The official word from Colt Canada is that there is no Generation designators on IUR, simply specific variants for country requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, because retailers advertise the Danish and British IURs as "Gen3"

I've always wondered what the "Gen2" IUR is...perhaps the RCMP's IURs?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
O'Dell are responsible for the incorrect information floating out there such as 10.5" and Gen3.

To anyone that has dealt with O'Dell, that will not be a surprise.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

True North Arms will start selling IUR wrenches (as well as barrel nuts) soon. Link

Apparently Colt Canada IUR wrenches are available through Nordic Marksman (but not listed on their site), but I haven't heard back from them yet.

View Quote
True North Arms are good people. The price on their wrench is very fair.

Unlikely nordic will sell you anything other than the OEM colt one which is $$$$$$
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
O'Dell are responsible for the incorrect information floating out there such as 10.5" and Gen3.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on...

Disappointing (and surprising, don't they have a close relationship with CC?)
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Unlikely nordic will sell you anything other than the OEM colt one which is $$$$$$
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent! (What have you purchased from them?)

I think it was in this thread (or the L119A1 thread), but $800 was mentioned.

I'm looking at rebarreling one of my uppers, possibly with an 11.5" (due to price and scarcity, probably not a CC barrel) or 12.5"
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Go on...

Disappointing (and surprising, don't they have a close relationship with CC?)
View Quote
Phil (?) O'Dell used to work for CC I believe.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#19]
O'Dell are the only distributor for CC parts, resellers must buy from O'Dell but the joke is that ODell customer service is about as bad as Comcast.

Here is their pdf of lies

Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Nordic Marksman has stripped 10.5" IURs for $1,299.95 (No BCG or charging handle), or the complete rifle for $2,299.95.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nordic Marksman has stripped 10.5" IURs for $1,299.95 (No BCG or charging handle), or the complete rifle for $2,299.95.
View Quote
Well thats the point, it doesnt.

It has 10" uppers. No such thing as a 10.5"
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:09:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a thread on CGN where Nordic posts a pic confirming/proving it's actually 10"

Is that what you mean by "pdf of lies"?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:13:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Excellent post.. great photos !

All the differences are very interesting.

Thank You for sharing !
View Quote
elucidate's L119A1 and L119A2 threads have been are a treasure trove of info.

I've been taking notes.

Y'all cloners are a different breed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here are some pictures of the L119A2 Upper.

This is the upper, barrel and gas block. Notice the straight gas tube, this increases gas tube life
http://i67.tinypic.com/oasyu8.jpg
View Quote
What is the length of the IUR rail/handguard?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just realized that. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I never knew that O'Dell Engineering was a distributor of all Colt Canada items, and that they would get their facts all wrong. I can understand European military requirements and what operating roles where a 10" barrel rifles are useful in, what I also don't get as to why Colt Canada doesn't have a 11.5" offering to resolve the dwell time issue?

EDIT: Scratch that, never mind... Some C8-CQB models do use the 11.6" barrel for Allen Engineering/Ops Inc sleeves to mount suppressors and Colt Canada also has a 11.6" MRR variation (or is the barrel length spec wrong on this one too?). Man, I would kill to own one of these... I'll take that over a BCM SBR rifle for my main SBR fighting rifle any day!

Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Barrel length is correct - it's 11.6" (go figure).
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Barrel length is correct - it's 11.6" (go figure).
View Quote
I have read somewhere that 11.6 and 15.7 lengths fall on an "accuracy node" for the barrel profiles/ materials Colt Canada uses. Something with barrel harmonics. Or some Northern witchcraft maybe
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Or that's just a leftover from the imperial->metric->imperial conversion.

Makes as much sense as arbitrarily using 14.5" because we needed to fix bayonets on the M4.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Just wanted to let you know I really enjoy these threads. Seeing the different technology that is being used across the pond is really interesting, thanks for taking the time to post about it here!
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Or that's just a leftover from the imperial->metric->imperial conversion.

Makes as much sense as arbitrarily using 14.5" because we needed to fix bayonets on the M4.
View Quote
If there was a reason behind it, then it can't be called arbitrary
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Obligatory link to Larry Vickers' post on the Cansof IURs.  Interesting set up they have with the AEM cans. Seems a tad different than what the Brits SOF is rocking.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154645693190416&id=295755495415&set=pcb.10154645696020416&source=48

Obligatory link to Larry Vickers' post on the Cansof IURs.  Interesting set up they have with the AEM cans. Seems a tad different than what the Brits SOF is rocking.
View Quote

The CanSOF C8IUR compared to the SAS L119A2 seems to be the exact same except for the lower roll mark and suppressor mounting muzzle device. Interesting...
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/10659393_10154645693190416_478448166523365617_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=6d349b78db9e5210b4bacb4ea8ef9477&oe=5BA1DFCC

The CanSOF C8IUR compared to the SAS L119A2 seems to be the exact same except for the lower roll mark and suppressor mounting muzzle device. Interesting...
View Quote
CanSOF C8IUR is missing the grenade launcher lug underneath, and also has the 11.6 barrel with collar for the Ops Inc can.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Great thread, thank you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/10659393_10154645693190416_478448166523365617_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=6d349b78db9e5210b4bacb4ea8ef9477&oe=5BA1DFCC

View Quote
I want to build a clone of that rifle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

CanSOF C8IUR is missing the grenade launcher lug underneath, and also has the 11.6 barrel with collar for the Ops Inc can.
View Quote
I forgot to point out the barrel length, but basically a longer barrel to accommodate the Ops Inc. collar/suppressor. 11.6" is superior to the 10" for the dwell time, so I find it interesting that the Brits still use the 10" barrel.

I totally missed the excluded grenade launcher lug. Good eye and thanks!
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I want to build a clone of that rifle.
View Quote
I wish I can have the real thing! You got access to the upper up north. All us American Colt Canada enthusiasts can only sit by and watch...
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#39]
The barrel nut is the same for the IUR and MRR.  I have had the barrels stripped out of both at one point.  Trying to mix and match.  I would like to see the RCMP IUR's made available to us civi's.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Bump

I don't want to have this awesome forum archived just yet. I got something special coming that is very relevant to this particular forum. I'll give details and photos soon!
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:34:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Bump ^

I don't want to have this awesome forum archived just yet. I got something special coming that is very relevant to this particular forum. I'll give details and photos soon!
View Quote
Contact a mod in this sub-forum and ask to have it turned to "do not archive".
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I am planning on doing a clone for the L119A2 just because I thought it would be a fun challenge. Plus, I have quite a few Colt Canada parts laying around, so I decided to gather some more parts to help complete the build. It is pretty difficult to import a IUR upper from Canada due to ITAR, so I want to avoid any fiasco as possible. Not to mention that I heard that Colt Canada will stop selling the overrun L119A2 uppers to the Canadian civilian market in the future, just like the Danish IUR overruns. Who knows, maybe I stumble on a set? But for now, if you have followed the Reptile House blog, there might be an alternative.

I'll update with more information and photos in the future.

Here is a HAO industries L119A2 upper. It comes with a lot of accessories, but I'll just go over some key details. This upper is mostly the same dimensions as a real IUR upper being CNC from a single billet of 7075-T6 aluminum, but it will need some modifications before it can be used for live fire. I warn you, this upper, along with sourcing rare parts is not cheap.

The "COLT CANADA 2C085" is not dimensionally 100% correct, but is raised, so that is a huge plus. Also note the correct LMT patent number (I used rubbing alcohol to take off the black paint over the number). The other side has the correct Brass Aluminum square forge code and stamped "NATO" markings. Also note, the grenade launcher lug is machined into the upper and is not a separate piece held in by a screw (the screw will be installed after this build is complete).

HAO Industries have staked the steel latch, but only one or two strikes with a round nose punch, thus the latch being loose in place. I went ahead and took a flat steel 5/32 punch and took it to the grinder to make a square for staking castle nuts and staked the steel latch in place. Also I have painted over the bare metal with a Birchwood Casey AR15 black pen. Unfortunately it is not super pretty, but it works and is "square" enough for me. Now the latch doesn't move, and I probably would have been able to stake it better if it wasn't staked before.

The ambi charging handle it came with is thinner than a mil-spec charging handle to make room for the PTW cylinder, with a longer rod in place for the HAO recoil/charging system. Oddly, the HAO charging handle is longer than a mil-spec, this it does not fit properly (I'll get a photo later). A real Colt Canada charging handle fits perfectly on the HAO IUR like any mil-spec upper.

Here you can see the serial number which shows the 11th one made. Note the lack of a cam track. To get this upper operational, a cam track will need to be milled as well as a hole drilled for the forward assist. Also two detent holes for the dust cover detent.

I also picked up a Colt complete BCG from Thoroughbred Armament, but these lack the "C" stamp on the carrier. I don't like how Colt is placing cage codes and not having C stamps on most of their equipment for easier access to parts for clone builds in the future, but this works well for me as it allows me to engrave a "CC" on the carrier.

Here is the carrier in the upper. I will note that it is slightly loose, but still should function.

Some of the accessories it came with are a gas block and heat shield. The gas block will need a hole to be drilled for the gas. I also have here a Colt LE6940 straight gas tube. The gas block will need to be slightly reamed for the gas tube to fit (unless the second one I have on order will fit).

Rear take-down pin is a tad tight, but the upper seamlessly meshes with my BCM lower.

The only parts I need to finish other than the machine work, are:
- Barrel
- Aimpoint T-2 with GG&G mount
- ATPIAL-C PEQ-15
- Surefire FH556-216a flash hider

Even better, a Surefire CA556SA flash hider for my L119A1 so I can use my FH556-216a I have for the L1192 project. As for the PEQ, The SAS use PEQ LA/5 with black and white sticker labels, and I have an airsoft PEQ LA/5 as a stand-in. Real PEQ LA/5s typically cost a few thousand dollars, and more as a brand new PEQ for government contract order. And I don't have the cash for a new PEQ-15c either.

I have to admit, Colt Canada looks great with BCM and Scalarworks gear...

Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:02:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That is correct. Here is a Colt Canada HH buffer.

https://i.imgur.com/IZ1ENB7l.jpg
View Quote
Huh, interesting. One of my complete "M4 Carbine" lowers from Brownells came with a buffer just like this. The other 2 had standard "H" marked buffers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#45]
That's a bold plan, using the HAO upper...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top