Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2021 9:31:40 AM EDT
Apparently Armalite AR-10 barrel extensions are not interchangeable with other (dpms) type barrel extensions. But I’ve heard other people says they do it and all they do is headspace to double check. If so what works and does t work.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You might get more of a response in the AR variants forum.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I built a 6.5 CM last year. I run a Armalite pattern upper that has DPMS pattern barrel nut threads. I used a DPMS pattern barrel and a Armalite bolt. Head space checked out good. The rifle functions fine and when I do my part it shoots sub MOA. ymmv
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#4]
A few years ago on a different 308AR website, a few people measured and compared the dimensions of various BCG. These were very detailed measurements of the Armalite AR-10 and a few different DPMS pattern BCG. I have the data on paper but would have to look for the webpage, There are differences and they will cause problems.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Barrel extensions are pretty much the same.  Bolt face depth may vary, just like any other rifle producers' bolts.  You should always check your headspace once the rifle is assembled.

I have several rifles with AR-308 barrels and extensions with Armalite bolts, and Armalite barrels with other manufacturers' bolts (JP and LMT).
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a link to one of the BCG dimension tables and discussion if any one is interested. Haven't found the other one that's older.
https://forum.308ar.com/topic/14767-new-20-barrel-now-it-short-strokes/page/4/
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:50:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Having used both and comparing them side by side once the extension is mounted on the barrel there is no difference.

The thread  shank must be relieved on the dpms style to a greater depth than the Armalite

As long as the barrel head spaces with the bolt you are using. There is no danger
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:53:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having used both and comparing them side by side once the extension is mounted on the barrel there is no difference.

The thread  shank must be relieved on the dpms style to a greater depth than the Armalite

As long as the barrel head spaces with the bolt you are using. There is no danger
View Quote

Other way around. Armalites need about 5 threads turned off the shank.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top