User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1080 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 6:43:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: big_aug] [#1]
Alright, that confirms it.  DD MK18 it is.  That's the one I was leaning towards

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SurtrsFire:

This.

I'm not a true cloner or anything but it annoys me to no end when people call their short guns a mk18.

Some guy on YouTube did a 11.5" (or something like that) aero precision build. All aero parts.

"Check out my mk18"

It's like the Daniel defense "mk12" abortion
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#3]
Colt, dd, andro all make 10.3". Colt being the obvious route for .mil correctness and all with some FN and colt/ diemaco sprinkled in. There are factory colt 10.3", or you can go the adco chopped route. DD works as do others, but, you know.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:20:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#4]
This.

I'm not a true cloner or anything but it annoys me to no end when people call their short guns a mk18.

Some guy on YouTube did a 11.5" (or something like that) aero precision build. All aero parts.

"Check out my mk18"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By compuvette:

LMT makes a nice upper but 10.3".....
This.

"Check out my mk18"

I remember when members would get called elitists or a snobs for saying colt is the way to go. Colt flakes I believe was the coin termed. hasnt happened in a long time but I remember laughing to myself while reading all the colt non colt arguments from a few years back. It was pretty entertaining.
Pic thread-
im not even sure if the top one belongs. It's almost a block2 mod1 eod if that were a thing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:
I remember when members would get called elitists or a snobs for saying colt is the way to go. Colt flakes I believe was the coin termed. hasnt happened in a long time but I remember laughing to myself while reading all the colt non colt arguments from a few years back. It was pretty entertaining.
Pic thread-
im not even sure if the top one belongs. It's almost a block2 mod1 eod if that were a thing.
http://i.imgur.com/rrW9yX4.jpg
View Quote
I dont get twisted up over small shit like "omg using X mount instead of X mount" because end users switched shit as soon as they got it most of them time but when people use some 13.7" noveske or something and call it a mk18 because it's technically a sbr...just stop.

I have a lpvo on my mk18 upper
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:57:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#7]
I picked up an FDE Grip Stop to try out on the CQBR... and an SBA3 :\.

Probably silly considering my F1 is way overdue and could be approved any day, but oh well. Grip Stop arrived today and the SBA3 should be here tomorrow. Not sure the Grip Stop will replace my beloved TD Stubbies, but I figured I'd give it a try. I've only messed with it for a few minutes so far and I'm kinda on the fence. We shall see. At the very least I'll probably run it with the SBA3 until my F1 finally comes back.

Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Whats market price for RIS II FDE used? Not seeing much in the used market for rails.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By krdt:

Probably silly considering my F1 is way overdue and could be approved any day, but oh well. Grip Stop arrived today and the SBA3 should be here tomorrow. Not sure the Grip Stop will replace my beloved TD Stubbies, but I figured I'd give it a try. I've only messed with it for a few minutes so far and I'm kinda on the fence. We shall see. At the very least I'll probably run it with the SBA3 until my F1 finally comes back.

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.092518.Grip.Stop-07.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.092518.Grip.Stop-06.jpg
View Quote
Gripstop is probably the only thing I haven't tried lol. For some reason the full size tango down grip work's for me so much better in the angled hand grip position but I'd be curious to try one of those sometime.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I just didn't want to start an entire new thread for that basic question.  This one seemed most appropriate.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:52:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: big_aug] [#12]
I bought the DD MK18 upper off Brownells for $657 shipped after discount.  Gonna be my first AR.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
Been wanting to get a gripstop myself but idk, kac broomhandle been good to me over the years. Plus I been lazy to order one lol...

if it don't work out for you lemme know if you wanna offload it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SlasherMcGee:
https://i.imgur.com/w6cmsds.jpg
View Quote
I like where this is headed!
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:00:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#15]

View Quote
That is damn sleek. Dibs for when the stamp comes in. I almost got one but used prices were so close to knew with a discount code that I passed.

Eta- at least wth the sba3 you'll be half way there when the stamp rolls in. Hell, you could even find a colt 4 pos to run with the brace. Unless that's considered modification to the original design? Dum dum dum
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

Gripstop is probably the only thing I haven't tried lol. For some reason the full size tango down grip work's for me so much better in the angled hand grip position but I'd be curious to try one of those sometime.
View Quote
I've switched through em all too, except for the Lanco/ b5grip stop, and always come back to the versatility of a full size td vfg.
Originally Posted By big_aug:
I bought the DD MK18 upper off Brownells for $666 shipped after discount.  Gonna be my first AR.
View Quote
That's ominous.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Gawd dern, lookin better and better. Which riser?
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Gawd dern, lookin better and better. Which riser?
View Quote
It's a Knight short riser, took me forever to track the thing down.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Hell, you could even find a colt 4 pos to run with the brace. Unless that's considered modification to the original design? Dum dum dum
View Quote
Oh, I've got that department covered ;p. Got two Colt 4 position tubes on standby. And, once the F1 on the CQBR comes back, I can decide between LMT Gen 1, B5 poopy Gen 1, and a Colt N1 for good measure. I will say that having such a long wait has me well prepared, lol.

Starting to wish I'd bought another LMT Gen 1 when I had the chance, though. Ah, well.

I'll definitely let you guys know if I decide to get rid of the Grip Stop.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 12:09:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Subiescott] [#20]

View Quote
Please do post images to compare an SBM4 to the A3! I cannot make up my damn mind about which one I'd prefer but I may jump on the Brownells 10% train tonight just to get the order on file for now, on an A3 that is. I just cannot decide on the looks....I think

Otherwise, is it common to see a teardrop FA on a block II MK18?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 2:05:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Subiescott:
Please do post images to compare an SBM4 to the A3! I cannot make up my damn mind about which one I'd prefer but I may jump on the Brownells 10% train tonight just to get the order on file for now, on an A3 that is. I just cannot decide on the looks....I think

View All Quotes

Yeah, I'm pretty curious to see how the two compare. Other than the lack of adjustability and being slightly on the heavy side, I am very happy with the SBM4. Suppose we'll see.

Teardrops aren't super common, but they're out there.

Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:32:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#23]
FYI Botach has B5 sopmods in coyote and OD green for $49 shipped.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I don’t know what the top one is called, I just know the sound it makes when it oper8s.

Link Posted: 9/26/2018 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:
View Quote
Thank You! Was needing one for my URGI build.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
CCT guy I was with in AFG had a BkII Mk18 with a teardrop.  First tear drop I had seen on a modern AR in the military not counting training when we had racks of M16 and M16A1s in 2003.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By imdBman:

CCT guy I was with in AFG had a BkII Mk18 with a teardrop.  First tear drop I had seen on a modern AR in the military not counting training when we had racks of M16 and M16A1s in 2003.
View Quote
Ah ok. Yeah for a block ii, I know it isn't 100% correct but I do like the look.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Yeah, I'm pretty curious to see how the two compare. Other than the lack of adjustability and being slightly on the heavy side, I am very happy with the SBM4. Suppose we'll see.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VIMmtF3_bKk/U4yHavjRTtI/AAAAAAAA9ZI/FM2kDt1pqw0/s1600/784282.jpg
View Quote
I'm with you there, the SBM4 hasn't done me any wrong and it's got a decent look. But I'm very curious to see how an A3 leans up the back end let alone the ability to bottom out the brace to the end plate. But then that brings into play the whole ATF approved and 26" legal length deal.

Side note, what steel pills do you use? I'm weighing the option of switching to steel given it is cheaper and all. The downside is...not made in the USA. What say you?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm with you there, the SBM4 hasn't done me any wrong and it's got a decent look. But I'm very curious to see how an A3 leans up the back end let alone the ability to bottom out the brace to the end plate. But then that brings into play the whole ATF approved and 26" legal length deal.

Side note, what steel pills do you use? I'm weighing the option of switching to steel given it is cheaper and all. The downside is...not made in the USA. What say you?
View All Quotes

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VIMmtF3_bKk/U4yHavjRTtI/AAAAAAAA9ZI/FM2kDt1pqw0/s1600/784282.jpg

When it comes to steel, Wolf is pretty much the only brand I buy. I shoot quite a bit of it and have no complaints - I've got 6,000rds or so of Wolf through my CQBR without malfunctions. So, it's reliable and more than accurate enough for shooting drills and bulk practice. It compares very favorably with the accuracy of most bulk M193/M855. When I can get Wolf Gold at $240-$250 delivered, I shoot that... but it's not consistently that cheap.

Keep in mind that shooting bi-metal projectiles is invariably going to lead to faster barrel wear; that's pretty much unavoidable. However, even taking faster barrel wear into consideration, the cost savings compared to shooting brass more than offsets the cost of early barrel replacement. Say, for example, you need to replace a barrel at 10,000 rounds due to shooting steel: after 10 cases you've saved at least $500, and probably more like $750 to $1000 over the cost of brass. Even swapping in a quality barrel, you're still several hundred ahead.

So, to me, shooting steel makes a lot of sense; cheaper ammo/more practice :D.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

Remember the "none of you have real clones because you don't have selct fire lowers...so what's the difference?" arguments?
View Quote
...So since you guys don't have select fire lowers, heres my interpretation of mod -1 block4...its built on an aero upper with a 11.5" barrel, oh and a Troy alpha rail cause the rails hurt my hands. I looked back and I guess I started following in 2013. Before the first big thread change. I went off the date of the current thread, but forgot it started up a few different times.

hey, how much is a like new in box Fde or black docter worth these days? They've been poppin up and I want to get one but I'm not sure where to start price wise. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 6:18:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#31]
Originally Posted By Wormydog1987:
I don't know what the top one is called, I just know the sound it makes when it oper8s.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1918/29996204297_c1cd34874f_z.jpg
View Quote
Ping!

Eta - great snag on the aimpoint combo. Got my eyes on one too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 6:18:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subiescott] [#32]

When it comes to steel, Wolf is pretty much the only brand I buy. I shoot quite a bit of it and have no complaints - I've got 6,000rds or so of Wolf through my CQBR without malfunctions. So, it's reliable and more than accurate enough for shooting drills and bulk practice. It compares very favorably with the accuracy of most bulk M193/M855. When I can get Wolf Gold at $240-$250 delivered, I shoot that... but it's not consistently that cheap.

Keep in mind that shooting bi-metal projectiles is invariably going to lead to faster barrel wear; that's pretty much unavoidable. However, even taking faster barrel wear into consideration, the cost savings compared to shooting brass more than offsets the cost of early barrel replacement. Say, for example, you need to replace a barrel at 10,000 rounds due to shooting steel: after 10 cases you've saved at least $500, and probably more like $750 to $1000 over the cost of brass. Even swapping in a quality barrel, you're still several hundred ahead.

View Quote
I feel you. I build my rig anyway so I have no issues swapping barrels when the time comes. Hell, that's practically an achievement anyway....to reach a certain benchmark of rounds and need a critical part replaced. I might try a case of the Wolf Military Classic. You get your stuff from SG? And hey where are those A3 photos?!
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:
View Quote
My man!  Just got me 2!
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:06:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wormydog1987] [#34]
Ping!

Eta - great snag on the aimpoint combo. Got my eyes on one too.
View Quote
I thought it was a great deal. I already have an aimpoint 3x mag setup but never hurts to have another.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I feel you. I build my rig anyway so I have no issues swapping barrels when the time comes. Hell, that's practically an achievement anyway....to reach a certain benchmark of rounds and need a critical part replaced. I might try a case of the Wolf Military Classic. You get your stuff from SG? And hey where are those A3 photos?!
View All Quotes

I get most of mine from Brownells - when they have it. Ends up being about $20-$30 cheaper per case than SG. FYI, Wolf WPA and Military Classic are both the same, so go for whichever is cheaper.

Actually about to install the SBA3 right now :D.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#36]

No, a certain size isn't important. Once you have the direct link, you click the "image icon" when creating the post, paste the link into it and you end up with [ img ]https://i.imgur.com/qHHlhj2.jpg[ /img ] (without the spaces).

You will need 50 posts before it will display without member approval.
View Quote
Well, I guess I got approved because Somehow my picture is magically up on my post. :)
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#37]
So its the MCX based suppressed URG going to be the actual new block 3 (something), or just some other "available" URG?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#38]

I get most of mine from Brownells - when they have it. Ends up being about $20-$30 cheaper per case than SG. FYI, Wolf WPA and Military Classic are both the same, so go for whichever is cheaper.

View Quote
How you feel about the Barnaul laquered stuff? Same same or different?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By daojag:
So its the MCX based suppressed URG going to be the actual new block 3 (something), or just some other "available" URG?
View Quote
i wouldnt doubt the MCX getting some contracts with the way sig has been lining peoples pockets to win has been "winning" contracts recently.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:13:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daojag] [#40]

i wouldnt doubt the MCX getting some contracts with the way sig has been lining peoples pockets to win has been "winning" contracts recently.
View Quote
They did, that's why I'm curious .  Kind of ugly as hell, but then I actually like quad rails.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By daojag:

They did, that's why I'm curious .  Kind of ugly as hell, but then I actually like quad rails.
View Quote
quad rails are still the king when it comes to looks imo.

mk18 and mk12 are easily the best 2 looking in recent times.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes

No experience with it, but Barnaul is who makes WPA/Military Classic for Wolf; I'd imagine it's GTG assuming that other than the lacquer it's made to the same specs as Wolf. One of the reasons I prefer Wolf is that it's loaded hotter compared to other steel brands. That, and the quality is very consistent (at least in recent years).

Anyway, about to take some pics of the SBA3 now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
Not 1st hand, but I've heard the liqueur can gum up a chamber. Any truth to that?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Not 1st hand, but I've heard the liqueur can gum up a chamber. Any truth to that?
View Quote
Dont remember who it was but someone recently did a video on that.

The lacquer wasn't a problem at all but the steel not expanding and causing gas blowing back into the chamber caused a few problems.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 10:26:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pt56] [#45]
View Quote
Mostly gum up around the bolt face, extractor, and barrel extension. I've shot a bunch of steel ammo and back in the day was logging exactly how many rounds through each weapon and any effects on extractors, chamber, bore, etc. Got tired of it after 9k rounds through an HK USP 9mm and Noveske Recce after 11k. Lol.

My take on it all is that I shot steel because that's all I could afford and wanted more trigger time between deployments and on top of what Uncle Sam supplied. I closely watched springs and extractors for wear incase I needed to replace them. Once I could afford brass and the prices have gone down over the last few years I shoot commercially loaded and stage all my brass for reloading.

Oh and the newer braunaul is better laquer coating then circa 2005-2008. Same with Wolf's polycoating IMO.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bduff] [#46]

Here for those wanting the sba3 pics. I have a sbr’d Lower but  it’s nice to have another one to travel with. Without all the hassle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Bduff:
http://i65.tinypic.com/2wrgjr5.jpg" target="_blank">http://i65.tinypic.com/2wrgjr5.jpg

Here for those wanting the sba3 pics. I have a sbr’d Lower but  it’s nice to have another one to travel with. Without all the hassle.
View Quote
Yep! Doing that! Can you use a standard carbine tube with it? I'm thinking the tanodized one that I have?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#48]
http://i65.tinypic.com/2wrgjr5.jpg" target="_blank">http://i65.tinypic.com/2wrgjr5.jpg

View All Quotes

I saw your painted lower and FDE Magpul grip and PMAG combo and immediately thought of asmig's Block II build...

Link Posted: 9/27/2018 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Yeah mines on a colt 4 position.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Yeah mines on a colt 4 position.
View Quote
Perfect, thank you!
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1080 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top