Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2022 10:24:46 PM EDT
I’ve got 4 Surefire Scout light setups now and they work pretty good. But the Modbuttons and wires are kind of a pain to manage.

Intrigued with OWL light. Anything negative to say about the position of them for a right hand shooter?
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
They’re reversible, I’ve had several. It was kind of a pain on a 14.5 gun, but if you’re rocking a shorty it’s nice. The battery life was outstanding and the throw is insane.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Love mine! It’s built like a tank and it’s heavy
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO, the only downsides are that it’s bulky, heavy and limits your mounting options.  The bulky part is somewhat deceiving because the entire light is thick unlike just the head and or tailcap of a Modlite, Surefire or others.  

They are built like a tank, reversible, built in switch (no wires) and the tail cap is also a tool used to remove it from the rail.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#5]
They look bulky but that’s inconsequential when shooting it.

They are a little heavy. As mentioned above it might not be the best option for a longer rail for both the reach and weight.

They are probably the most indestructible weapon light ever made.

They have damn good output.

They’re really the only quality standalone system available.

The COR rail with the OWL is the slickest shorty set up I’ve ever had never the less shot.

They really should make an OWL 2.0 micro. With it they should have the standard tail cap, and an option for one with a switch.

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 4:22:31 AM EDT
[#6]
The OWL is definitely in a class all it’s own and this light really turned me on to Cloud Defense and prompted me to buy a Rein Micro for a light weight carbine I have. I’ve bought several other Gen 1 Reins since and I plan to purchase more! With Cloud’s cable management system it allows the cable to almost disappear and definitely keeps the cable protected and snag free!. If mounted correctly and the cable is run through the cable management system on the side of the remote switch then cables are a non-issue!
IMO there are three cons to the OWL.
1. It is heavy
2. You are limited to where you can mount the light because you have to be able to operate the activation buttons.
3. I don’t care for the activation button. It difficult to manipulate compared to the button that comes with the Rein.
Just my two cents!

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 5:50:02 AM EDT
[#7]
insane amount of light. got mine early pre covid back then and maybe still they come with a pink rechargable battery and i forget the other color rechargable battery. it will reach out and light up reflective stuff half mile down my road at night.

if an animal or lurker is in field its lit up at 300 yards. i can never remember which battery color is brighter and which is dimmer / longer life. i think the pink one is dimmer. its nice as one battery is charging as the other is working.

what made me buy was the youtube destruction test videos mainly but also the lumens candela light showdown videos.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't own one, but they're not compatible with all 18650 batteries.  I think the ones that have their own USB port are too long. Perhaps a consideration if a person likes to standardize batteries.  None of my pile of Fenix branded batteries will work in it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#10]
All good info here and I appreciate it.

I think I'm going to pass. I've got a spare 14.5" hard use carbine and I'm not sure the weight and size of the OWL is necessary. Plus I don't own anything else that takes those batteries...and I don't have patience for finicky things that only take certain brands.

As someone else mentioned, if they made a 2.0 or a 'K' model that was smaller and lighter, it would probably be just right.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All good info here and I appreciate it.

I think I'm going to pass. I've got a spare 14.5" hard use carbine and I'm not sure the weight and size of the OWL is necessary. Plus I don't own anything else that takes those batteries...and I don't have patience for finicky things that only take certain brands.

As someone else mentioned, if they made a 2.0 or a 'K' model that was smaller and lighter, it would probably be just right.
View Quote

I’d rethink the battery thing at least. 18650’s are the future and crazy convenient. We’re likely not far off from Surefire dumping CR123’s in their rifle lights even.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top