Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/22/2023 4:11:38 PM EDT
Hey guys. I'm new here, first post. I have a slightly modified Armalite M-15 carbine and usually use Lancer AWM 30 rd mags.

I have 2 20 rd Tapco mags, and my question is if anyone knows how reliable they are? I'm thinking of maybe keeping the Tapco mags loaded (locked in the safe). Any reason not to? They have fed fine the couple of times I've chambered rounds from them. It will be a while before I can buy some 20 rd Lancers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Plastic magazines (like old tapcos) tend to see the feed lips spread if left loaded.  I would avoid doing so.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Plastic magazines (like old tapcos) tend to see the feed lips spread if left loaded.  I would avoid doing so.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]
agreed. Metal mags are cheap and can stand to stay loaded. Id say grab some of those.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
agreed. Metal mags are cheap and can stand to stay loaded. Id say grab some of those.
View Quote

Quality polymer mags are a non issue.  The Tapco mags are not an equal for Pmags, lesser polymer/design.

FWIW, I've has Pmags stored loaded/sans covers 10+ years that functioned just fine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay. Yeah, I have never stored any of them loaded, so thanks for the advice. ??
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 8 Lancer Advanced War Fighter 30 rd mags. Those have metal feed lips. Guess I'll load one of those. Thanks. ??
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you. I figured PMAG's would be fine. They are top shelf magazines.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quality polymer mags are a non issue.  The Tapco mags are not an equal for Pmags, lesser polymer/design.

FWIW, I've has Pmags stored loaded/sans covers 10+ years that functioned just fine.
View Quote

Sans cover even? Interesting. I havent long term stored pmags loaded without covers, for fear of spreading.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sans cover even? Interesting. I havent long term stored pmags loaded without covers, for fear of spreading.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, a handful of M2s. I've got another gaggle of M3s going on 7 years now, I expect the same from those.

I still prefer USGI mags, but the Pmags are growing on me for sure.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
If that's all you have then use them OP, but I wouldn't expect them to hold up to a lot of heavy use. There are a lot of cheap, quality mags today so I'd look there when you can.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#11]
OP: I know how it is when money is tight, but you should really think about stacking a few extra quality mags ASAP given how cheap they are now and how politicians are trying so hard to ban them.  Both Pmags and D&H are regularly less than $10 shipped.  You should really have at least a couple dozen.

FWIW, I try to keep covers on loaded pmags, but I sometimes forget or lose a cover (my dog also has snacked on a couple).  I've had some loaded without covers for a year or longer without problems.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey guys. I'm new here, first post. I have a slightly modified Armalite M-15 carbine and usually use Lancer AWM 30 rd mags.

I have 2 20 rd Tapco mags, and my question is if anyone knows how reliable they are? I'm thinking of maybe keeping the Tapco mags loaded (locked in the safe). Any reason not to? They have fed fine the couple of times I've chambered rounds from them. It will be a while before I can buy some 20 rd Lancers.
View Quote

Magazines are cheap, provided you don't waste money on inferior products. IMO, Tapco is not a quality product at any level.

Okay, D&H, Colt, Brownell's, Magpul or Lancer's will last a very long time. If you can't afford good magazines, you can't afford ammo.  That means your rifle is a club. Louisville sluggers are cheap and reliable.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 8 Lancer smoke 30 round mags. I'm not against grabbing some more 20:rd mags, I like the 20 rd mags a lot. I can give the Tapco's to my friend that doesn't have many mags and just had a kid, so no extra money for accessories. I'd like to pick up about 4 20 rd mags.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have 8 Lancer Advanced War Fighter 30 rd mags. Those have metal feed lips. Guess I'll load one of those. Thanks. ??
View Quote

Why aren't ALL 8 of them loaded?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top