Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/9/2021 5:25:01 PM EDT
Hi all,

I've searched the forums and gotten more confused the more I read so I figured I'd start a new thread and ask about my specific situation.

I want to get my first bipod for my AR-10 with MLok handguard.  I'd like something quality but obviously would prefer not to break the bank if necessary.  QD would be nice but not necessary.

My research shows that Magpul makes a direct connect MLOK bipod but there are mixed reviews on it.

What is my best game plan?  What bipod manufacturer do you all recommend and more importantly how should I attach it?  Do I want to go with a pic adapter between the handrail and
bipod?  Does someone else make one that will connect directly to the MLOK?  Something else?

What does the conventional wisdom think?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two Magpuls on precision rifles. They work extremely well and are modestly-priced. I wouldn't hesitate to get another if I needed it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Harris makes very good bipods. They have different models that have different features. You can't go wrong with a Harris bipod.

More modern designs like the Atlas bipod is the cream of the crop, but very very expensive.

Magpul came out with a bipod you could consider similar to the Atlas bipod, but much more affordable. You can direct attach or set it up with a QD mount so you can swap it from one picatinny segment/rail to another. That is my preference, but some prefer a dedicated bipod for a specific rifle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It really depends on what you plan to do with the rifle.  If you only ever plan on shooting it from the bench/firing line and only need to carry it to/from your vehicle, I think a direct mount bipod would be fine.  For a rifle that’ll see any type of field use and will be carried around a lot, I’d suggest using a short picatinny section and a QD mount, because that’s a decent chunk of weight and a bit of a snag hazard hanging off the muzzle end of your rifle.

- Magpul seems to get decent reviews, but I have no personal experience.  About as cheap as you can get while still maintaining quality.

- Harris is the tried and true middle of the road option.  Can be mounted in a variety of ways and easily adapted to a QD mount.  Relatively heavy and kind of “clunky,” but damn near indestructible.  Some of the more “full featured” models are pretty expensive.

- Atlas.  The gold standard of “modern” bipods.  Sleek, easy to use, and relatively LW.  Comes standard with many/most of the features of the high end Harris models (tilt/cant/swivel). Relatively expensive, though, especially for the QD models.

There are some other options out there (which I haven’t used) but those 3 are probably the most common ones you’ll come across.  I vastly prefer the Atlas, but obviously some people don’t want to spend $250-$300 on a bipod.  Really up to you to figure out what’ll work best for your situation.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for your input.  If you were in my shoes how would you go about attaching?  The options seem a bit overwhelming.  

It seems an MLOK to Pic adapter seems the most common?  Does Harris make an MLOK direct attach bipod?  I've browsed their site but can't tell....
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for your input.  If you were in my shoes how would you go about attaching?  The options seem a bit overwhelming.  

It seems an MLOK to Pic adapter seems the most common?  Does Harris make an MLOK direct attach bipod?  I've browsed their site but can't tell....
View Quote

Harris bipods attach to a standard sling swivel stud.  They make direct mount MLOK sling swivel studs, so you could essentially “direct mount” one to your rifle, although it would be through utilizing an adapter plate.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016170531

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have picatinny or at least a picatinny segment on all of my rifles. My bipod has a QD mount so I can easily put it on any of my rifles.

To do that with the Magpul bipod you need the ARMS 17 version and any ARMS 17 QD mount of your choosing. ADM, Midwest Industries, etc... Now a lot of people will say "LaRue mount", but I've had issues with using a single LaRue mount on multiple rails. LaRue mounts require a tool to adjust from rail to rail so then I ask ... what's the point??? In that instance there is no point.

If you just want to attach it to an Mlok handguard and leave it there, just get the Mlok version.

If you want to clamp it to a picatinny segment then get the picatinny version.

There's also a sling stud version, but as mentioned previously, you'll need a sling stud adapter.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can afford it, the KAC Precision Bipod they developed for CSASS is the best damn bipod ever in every respect, IMO.

It is firmly into "break the bank" territory though compared to most bipods.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Magpul is a good value for direct MLOK. I just sold an Accu-Tac that was nice but it was pic. Overall I dig the Atlas's the best but depends on the rifle/ purpose.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If its just for casual shooting, I like the QD grip pod type.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If its just for casual shooting, I like the QD grip pod type.
https://i.imgur.com/BV80WeSm.jpg
View Quote

I've been issued grip-pods in the past and I despise them. Gigantic, bulky, and not particularly good in either role, especially as a bipod considering the utter lack of adjustability.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Harris and an Odin works low profile stud mount section.  9-12 is my preferred height unless you are only going from bench
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top