Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2022 8:37:41 AM EDT
I just got a Larue upper and lower and I am finishing the lower. For takedown and pivot pin I can't decide between Geissele, which I have full confidence will work and be durable, and Armaspec aluminum in OD green. The Armaspec interests me because I have OD green safety and mag release so I'd get the matchy-matchy. Is aluminum ok for takedown pins or will it wear quickly? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Standard milspec works fine.  I assume they're aluminum.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I always use V7 aluminum takedown pins. I’m fully confident they are plenty strong. I like the light weight, standard mil spec is steel, and they have a low profile design.
I would imagine the armaspec would be fine as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Of all the things, we are worried about takedown pins?  Whatever comes in the LPK

ETA:  I now see it is about the color.?
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
New Frontier offers plastic pins, so aluminum should be fine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Standard milspec works fine.  I assume they're aluminum.
View Quote

They are steel.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I would stay away from anything other than mil spec steel. Aluminum, if you somehow drop or toss the gun down your driveway & slightly bend a pin you will have to hammer it out. Plastic is just crap in that kind of application.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I would never put aluminum pins into aluminum holes, stick with dissimilar materials.
Titanium would be nice, even carbon fiber, if you are trying to shave the last gram off your weapon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I only use KNS pivot and takedown pins.  Out of the 5-6 different brands I have tried, they are the smoothest.  I think it has a lot to do with their detents but the channels on their pins are also machined and finished well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would stay away from anything other than mil spec steel. Aluminum, if you somehow drop or toss the gun down your driveway & slightly bend a pin you will have to hammer it out. Plastic is just crap in that kind of application.
View Quote

Im guessing if you manage to bend a takedown or pivot pin, the pins are likely the least of your worries. Given the OP is wanting aluminum so the colors match, I doubt it will see any hard use.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for all the feedback guys, I will get the Geissele and skip the matchy matchy. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Forward Controls Design PF-040 are the best, IMO. I use them on every build now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]
lol I ignored everyone's feedback and ordered a set of JP Microfit pins today because I was ordering one of their ambi safeties.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
lol I ignored everyone's feedback and ordered a set of JP Microfit pins today because I was ordering one of their ambi safeties.
View Quote

I am sure they will be fine.  I mean, they are takedown pins after all
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I did an OD green build and I just ordered extended steel takedown pins and cerakoted them to match. I do try to use extended pins on all the builds now. Yankee Hill Machine makes a nice set.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yankee Hill Machine makes a nice set.
View Quote

+1 on Yankee Hill, very smooth, and slide in & out easily, even on tight fits.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#16]
USGI has worked since the 60's.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I did an OD green build and I just ordered extended steel takedown pins and cerakoted them to match. I do try to use extended pins on all the builds now. Yankee Hill Machine makes a nice set.
View Quote

^^^^ This is how you do it ^^^^
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top