Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2021 6:09:05 PM EDT
I bought 80% AR15 jigs from Tactical Machining back probably 7 years ago.  Life got busy and I never used them.  Now that I have retired I want to.  However if they came with instructions i have lost them. They have a code that seems straight forward for endmill size and depth of cut but they don't make sense when you think it through.  

I'd called them to see if I coul get instructions but it's Sunday.  It rang so I assume they are still around.  Anyone deal with them on this sort of thing?  They don't look to have a very active website.  I haven't been here for years and was surprised to see you can't search for squat anymore so old threads on this old a product are gone to me.  Are there any threads of their product linked anywhere?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I know nothing about them, but maybe

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Tactical_Machining_Jig___New_one__no_Instructions__Help_Please_/4-588000/
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Youtube.

I also have their Gen 1 set.

Their website used to have a bunch of videos on it, but they were all on youtube
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
From what ive seen most jigs out there are very similar to almost identical. tactical machining references 80%lowers.com a few times so here is the instructions from them on the jig. Look them over and hopefully its what your looking for!

https://80lowers.com/80-lower-jig-instructions/
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  The link has this explanation that pretty much explains things.  As they say the end mill size and depth of cut are stamped on the plate.  The only question would be where the depth starts from but since the last plate for the trigger opening says 5/16 EM X 5/8 LOC and that area is alread cut 1 1/4" deep by the second plate it has to mean depth from the lower surface.  Specifically they say;

"looks like the info you need is right on the plates.

plate 1: 3/8" end mill, 5/8" length of cut––––––-mill area on plate with 3/8" end mill to a depth of 5/8"
plate 2: 3/8" end mill, 1 1/4" length of cut––––mill area on plate with 3/8" end mill to a depth of 1 1/4"
plate 3: 5/16" end mill with a 3/8" shaft––––––on this step, cut through with the mill and follow the plate to make the opening for the trigger.

obviously, do the first two operations in steps. don't plunge right to the finished depth and try to hog it out.

These are clearly meant for doing on a mill which as I recall is why I bought them since I have one.    Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I seem to recall them being there years ago but they are long gone now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately this one is a whole different process that's meant to use a drill press so you have that 1st plate with all the hols which I don't have or need since I have a mill.  The main issue I have is I can't tell where people are measuring from.  The other manufacturers I looked at all referr to the top of their plate but that does me no good since I don't know how thick their plate is.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Getting ready to change into someone more comfortable. Name changes coming.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
My plates are stamped with 5/8" & 1 1/4" so that means from the top surface of the receiver.  So that settles that.  Thanks.

Also I had that mil spec print from this site at one point and can't seem to find that either.  Anyone have a link to that handy?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Getting ready to change into someone more comfortable. Name changes coming.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#10]
biggerhammer has what I need.   I think that about gets it folks.  Thanks for all your help!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top