Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2019 8:28:57 PM EDT
Howdy Every,

Been looking around for an affordable upper receiver "reaction rod" for my AR-10.  The Kley-Zion 308 rod is sold out at BoTach.  I happened upon this vice block rod on Ebay.  Anyone own one of these or know about their quality?  Oddly enough the price on Ebay is cheaper that what they are offering in their online store.  Thank you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anodized-Black-Rod-360-Degree-Upper-Vise-Block-Wrench-Armorers-Tool-Kit-For-308/113354198011

https://www.tacbro.com/shop/other/tools-other-accessor/anodized-black-rod-360-degree-upper-vise-block-wrench-armorer-s-tool-kit-for-308.html
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I would suggest looking at the Arnzen Arms reaction rod as well as the Real Avid Lug Lock Tool. Yes the Real Avid rod is aluminum, but here is my experience with it.

I have used the Real avid Lug Lock Tool daily for the last year while assembling a couple hundred AR15 uppers with both rifle and pistol length barrels. All were torqued to anywhere between 40 and 60 foot pounds. Not a single alignment pin, barrel extension, or any other part on any of the uppers were damaged in any way.

OP if you are doing occassional builds (less than 5 per year) any and EVERY ONE OF THE VARIOUS REACTION RODS, VISE BLOCK CLAMSHELLS ETC from EVERY ONE OF THE MANUFACTURERS currently on the market will serve you just as effectively as any other device out there.

In my case I have used Geissele, Arnzen Arms, MagPul BevBlock, Real Avid, and a few other tools in a production floor environment, and at home use, and have had excellent results with them ALL. Home builder? Save some money and go with Arnzen or Real Avid. If your going to build a couple of hundred uppers then go with Real Avid, Geissele, Arnzen, or Midwest Industries. ALL OF THEM WILL SERVE YOU WELL and likely outlast you.

Don't have a dog in this fight, but I do have the experience of building a few thousand uppers over the last 5 years in 2 different shop environments. jmpe.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Brownells has a 308 barrel extension torque tool.
It's not my ideal, but it's cheap.
It would be nice if it was a tad longer and had flats cut in the end.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Any tool described in Engrish is bound to be top quality.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all the for the advice!  Really appreciate it!
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They even plagiarized Geiselle. Didn't even edit out "Reaction Rod" lol.

Designed to securely hold an upper assembly for maintenance and assembly, the Reaction Rod engages the splines in the barrel extension, allowing the stress to be placed on the 7075 T6 Aluminum barrel extension, instead of the softer aluminum receiver. Simply clamp the rod into a bench vise in the desired position and slide the upper receiver and barrel onto the rod. This allows the user to torque down barrel nuts, install flash hiders, gas blocks and Handguards with ease. This eliminates all worry about twisting or cracking the fragile upper receiver and even allows work to be performed without removing sights and optics from the receiver's top rail.
They put 7075 in front of 'barrel extension' lol.

Actual Geissele Ad:
Geissele Triggers is well known for making top-notch, quality AR-15 triggers. The Reaction Rod is machined to these same exacting standards to deliver reliable performance over years of hard use. Designed to securely hold an upper assembly for maintenance and assembly, the Reaction Rod engages the splines in the barrel extension, allowing the stress to be placed on the steel barrel extension, instead of the softer aluminum receiver. Simply clamp the rod into a bench vise in the desired position and slide the upper receiver and barrel onto the rod. This allows the user to torque down barrel nuts, install flash hiders, gas blocks and handguards with ease. This eliminates all worry about twisting or cracking the fragile upper receiver and even allows work to be performed without removing sights and optics from the receiver's top rail.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been planning on picking this one up:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Upper-Receiver-Rod-308-p/mi-308urr.htm

Pricey, but has some great features
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been planning on picking this one up:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Upper-Receiver-Rod-308-p/mi-308urr.htm

Pricey, but has some great features
View Quote
I'm definitely leaning towards that one.  I like the additional charging handle valley doohickey.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I like that it has additional support inside the upper, which should help with somenod the potential issues of the rod-only types
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top