BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The ID of the guardrail is only half of the problem.  The other half, as mentioned by @hoody2shoez above, is the standard mil-spec barrel nut needed, at least on the AA P-series, in order for the piston system to operate properly.  Has anyone verified if the Strike Industries Gridlock handguard will work with a standard barrel nut?
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Draconus96:

I've been wondering about this myself, and here's the way I figure it: if the internal diameter is 1.6in (40.64mm), but the Gridlok handguard is taller than it is wide, then 40.64mm must be the distance between the narrowest points, 3 and 9 o'clock. Subtracting from the external width 46.2mm, that leaves us a total wall thickness of 5.56mm. If the wall thickness is the same all around, then the internal height is 56.09mm. If the barrel is in the exact center of the handguard, then we have 28.045mm of space to work with. Subtract the height of the Superlative Arms piston kit at 0.986in (25.0444mm), and you should have 3.0006mm of clearance between the top of the gas block and the inside of the handguard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Draconus96:
Originally Posted By mooreea051:
I really like the new Gridlock Handgaurd, https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/si-grl-html.html and was wondering if someone knew if it would work for the Adam Arms and/or Superlative Arms piston conversion kits? The .625 to be more precise. Hope this helps:

Product Specification:
Height of rail: 61.65mm
Width of rail: 46.2mm
Length of rail: 8.5"/ 10.5"/ 13"/ 15" ( it would be the 15'' one)
Internal diameter: 1.6"

I've been wondering about this myself, and here's the way I figure it: if the internal diameter is 1.6in (40.64mm), but the Gridlok handguard is taller than it is wide, then 40.64mm must be the distance between the narrowest points, 3 and 9 o'clock. Subtracting from the external width 46.2mm, that leaves us a total wall thickness of 5.56mm. If the wall thickness is the same all around, then the internal height is 56.09mm. If the barrel is in the exact center of the handguard, then we have 28.045mm of space to work with. Subtract the height of the Superlative Arms piston kit at 0.986in (25.0444mm), and you should have 3.0006mm of clearance between the top of the gas block and the inside of the handguard.

The ID of the guardrail is only half of the problem.  The other half, as mentioned by @hoody2shoez above, is the standard mil-spec barrel nut needed, at least on the AA P-series, in order for the piston system to operate properly.  Has anyone verified if the Strike Industries Gridlock handguard will work with a standard barrel nut?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone tried the American Defense mlok rails for the AA piston? ID of the rail is 1.3” barrel nut 2.25” long and 1.37” in diameter
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ronboman:
Has anyone tried the American Defense mlok rails for the AA piston? ID of the rail is 1.3” barrel nut 2.25” long and 1.37” in diameter
View Quote

The piston will fit-but that rail not using a mil spec barrel nut makes it incompatible without modification
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I can confirm that the Superlative Arms Clamp on .750 Carbine length will fit under a UTG Pro 4/15 Super Slim 15" hand guard.  It does not have a lot of clearance on the sides of the piston protrusion.  But plenty of room on top and below.  Again it is a very tight fit on the sides, but no modification was necessary.  

I also have an SA piston kit in a 20" rifle length BCA upper, with BCA handguard, that required a lot of material removal to get the system to fit.  No barrel nut problem, but it did not fit under the rest of the BCA handguard as it was.

I would like to find an M-lok handguard to fit over the SA Piston system to replace the BCA at some point.  But would not be willing to spend more that $200 on it.  I did not have $600 into the entire short rifle that I just put the SA kit in before adding the kit, not including the sights.  Even including the scope, SA piston kit, and JP Trigger I do not have $800 into the longer rifle.  For a cheaper AR piston rifle it has done very well for me, killing 2 coyotes and a skunk.  Now I have more money than that into the shorter rifle, and I didn't even have to pay for the red dot on it.  Cheap parts are no longer available.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
BCM QRF and Superlative Arms .750 solid.  Yay or nay and how tight is the clearance if yay?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Hello all

I am looking to purchase either the Battlerail, SOCC151(SRAI-SR1-15BT-00) or the M-LOK, 5.56 Aluminum (SRAI-ML1-15BT-00) free float rail system. I have a Stag Arms Model 8 (piston) and have upgraded to the Adam's Arms P Series Adjustable Micro Gas Block (also piston). Right now I just have the standard barrel nut on because it is a pain finding a barrel nut and handguard that will work with it. I noticed that both of these handguards use a standard barrel nut.

What I am trying to find out is if there will be enough room under the handguards for the Adjustable gas block system to fully operate and is there any anti-rotation system in place on these handguards? Also which of the two would be best for my set up? I am a disabled US Army Combat Veteran and living on about $280 a month right now ( my current 20% VA disability), I it is important that I make the right choice at the lowest price but not wanting to compromise too much on what I am putting on my rifle.

Here are the measurements I have been able to pry out of Troy Industries

M-LOK, 5.56, Aluminum, 15" -BLK (SRAI-ML1-15BT-00)
Inner Diameter: 1.39”
Outer Diameter: 1.75” (Not including the top rail)
Weight: 12.06oz
Length: 15.125”

Battlerail, SOCC151, 15.125" (SRAI-SR1-15BT-00)
Inner Diameter: 1.25”
Outer Diameter: 1.45”
Weight: 8.44oz
Length: 15.125”

I am attaching pictures of the Adam's system installed on my ar.

Thank you so much for any and all assistance you can provide.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Go mlok.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Both are M-LOK systems. My question is mostly about the dimensions of the rails and which one the Adams arms p series micro gas block will fit under and have no issues with operation.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Abaddon53:
Both are M-LOK systems. My question is mostly about the dimensions of the rails and which one the Adams arms p series micro gas block will fit under and have no issues with operation.
View Quote

No shit. One is called "mlok" and the other "socc"

The socc rail may fit, but if it does will be tight. The mlok fits no questions asked. I answered based on what I know will work for sure.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you very much. You have helped me out like you wouldn't believe.

On a side note (which should really be my main reply) I had written up an edit to my last reply to you so that I didn't come off as such a condescending idiot but apparently fell asleep prior to sending it. So I owe you an apology for coming off the way I did.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
its all good. post up pictures when its done!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I got the rail in and I seem to have a problem. Do you have to do any modifications to your standard AR-15 barrel nut inorder to fit the rail? Mine doesn't seem like it will work at all with the standard barrel nut as advertised, unless mine is...defective.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I got the rail in and I seem to have a problem. Do you have to do any modifications to your standard AR-15 barrel nut inorder to fit the rail? Mine doesn't seem like it will work at all with the standard barrel nut as advertised, unless mine is...defective.

https://i.imgur.com/4PY4voC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mE7pL8Y.jpg
View Quote

It should work but, because it’s a tight fit, check for any deformed teeth from torquing the nut down. Mine needed some clean up with a small file.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Can confirm the Strike Rail on a Superlative Arms Piston Kit fits like a charm.  New barrel nut does away with the billion grooves for the piston rod/gas tube and instead just has wrench flats with wide gaps between them.  Tons of room between the rail and the gas block.  "Not compatible with most gas piston systems" doesn't include the SA kit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Have to have room to rotate it sightly to slip over the barrel nut teeth.
If the gas block interferes you'll have to loosen or remove it, then tighten it back down after the rail is installed, if you can access the screws.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

If the gas block interferes you'll have to loosen or remove it, then tighten it back down after the rail is installed, if you can access the screws.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

Are you using the set screw model or the clamp on?

Either way-pull the op rod and loosen the gasblock. Put on at angle. Put rail on and let it move the gasblock around as needed. Finish rail install. Get gasbloxk into correct position. Tighten down. Profit.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:33:40 AM EDT
[#18]
How do you keep the bushing from falling out on the SA kit?  Mine isn't secured into the clover leaf at all.  It just falls right out whenever you tilt the upper up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:31:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: whamprod] [#19]
1. Adams Arms midlength kit (with bushing) with low-pro adjustable gas block.
2. 16” medium contour Rainier Arms Select SS barrel, 1:8 Wylde-chambered barrel with 5R polygonal rifling.
3. 9” Samson lightweight keymod handguard.
4. Spikes Tactical Gen II billet upper.

The lightweight stuff offsets the weight of the piston kit, and it’s nice to have an AR that is gas-tunable for its suppressor. I also have a couple of DI uppers that are able to take advantage of the smaller diameter BCM KMR handguards, but honestly, the Samson doesn’t feel THAT big in the hands. I don’t think it’s something worth sweating that much ...but to each, his own.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone know if the Midwest Industries free floats like Ultralight lineup are compatible with Superlative Arms piston?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ahrion:
Anyone know if the Midwest Industries free floats like Ultralight lineup are compatible with Superlative Arms piston?
View Quote

Works good for me on a .625 clamp on version. Don’t know if there is enough bottom clearance for .750 clamp on.  But the width is clearanced plenty for the height of the gas block.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 4:22:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Powerplay1088] [#22]
Does anyone know what is required to be modified or if it is even possible to put an AA P-series under a Geissele MK8?

*Update* I tried the Adams Arms low profile gas block under two different length Geissele MK8 handguards and neither works.  The gas block is too big and does not fit in the channel on the rail to the extent of not being able to even push the handguard fully onto the barrel nut.  I did not even bother trying to modify/shave down the gas block nor did I get into trying to modify the geissele barrel, too much material would have to be removed.

Hopefully this saves people some time and money.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Powerplay1088:
Does anyone know what is required to be modified or if it is even possible to put an AA P-series under a Geissele MK8?
View Quote

Possible. You need to modify the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#24]

I'm looking for a piston system I can hide under the handguard here.  Gas hole is at carbine length.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
View Quote

This thread is gold, was just looking for this. People need to add more to this list, and maybe OP can update it
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:26:39 AM EDT
[#26]
First thank you for this thread and the I formation all of you ha w provided with with.  

Second what do you mean by “SLR Helix and Ion lines should fit, however from my understanding is the barrel nut needs to be modified slightly”

Does that mean we have to drill down the out side of the barrel nut so the SA piston kit tube can clear? If so how far down and what tool do you recommend? I’m new to building so forgive me if I’m not explaining correctly
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:18:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Randainc] [#27]
I realize this topic is dated but as I contemplate another 300 Blackout build I find myself again looking for piston kit / handguard compatibility information. So I thought I would share my previous build.

This is a 300 Blackout build complete with a AAC 9" barrel. I wanted to be able to nest the AAC 762SD can inside the hand-guard so I selected the Midwest Industries SP handguard but found the Adams Arms piston kit (300 Blk) didnt interface with the Midwest barrel nut exactly as Adams Arms designed. So assembled the handguard, timed the barrel nut. Then marked  where I needed to remove material. It was an easy fix with a dremel and a drill press. Now everything fits nicely together and runs perfectly.

There are better solutions out there these days as I have to remove the handguard to get the can off but this is one of the quietest 300 Black rigs Ive ever experienced and one of my go to guns.

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks good!

This threads not really dated, I've just been lazy about updating it.

I've got a hodge spine lock thats going on a piston gun... everybody is going to lose their minds
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Randainc:
I realize this topic is dated but as I contemplate another 300 Blackout build I find myself again looking for piston kit / handguard compatibility information. So I thought I would share my previous build.

This is a 300 Blackout build complete with a AAC 9" barrel. I wanted to be able to nest the AAC 762SD can inside the hand-guard so I selected the Midwest Industries SP handguard but found the Adams Arms piston kit (300 Blk) didnt interface with the Midwest barrel nut exactly as Adams Arms designed. So assembled the handguard, timed the barrel nut. Then marked  where I needed to remove material. It was an easy fix with a dremel and a drill press. Now everything fits nicely together and runs perfectly.

There are better solutions out there these days as I have to remove the handguard to get the can off but this is one of the quietest 300 Black rigs Ive ever experienced and one of my go to guns.

https://i.ibb.co/tcRWTmp/aac-pdw-3.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/PjzhWnc/aac-pdw-4.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/HGb5LjH/aac-pdw-2.jpg
View Quote

Nice! I've got a Superlative Arms piston kit sitting on the table, and I've thought about doing a suppressed piston SBR with the suppressor tucked into an SP series handguard.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:30:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mack2222] [#30]

I can confirm that the Superlative Arms Low profile piston kit “ SA Piston Kit “ is compatible with SLR Helix hand guard. Unfortunately I don’t know if the barrel nut needs to be modified or not. When I took my rifle to my gunsmith I asked him to cut down the barrel nut to make sure the op rod would clear due to a post I found. He began to test fit my upper, barrel, handgaurd, and piston kit and told me he doesn’t think the barrel nutt needs to be shaved down but we did it anyway. This is a 11.7 helix on a 12.5 rainierarms 6.5 grendel. The upper receiver is Gibbs side charging. Attached will be a few photos to of my build for proof. I hope this aids anyone thinking of something similar and thanks for creating the form
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Mack2222:

I can confirm that the Superlative Arms Low profile piston kit “ SA Piston Kit “ is compatible with SLR Helix hand guard. Unfortunately I don’t know if the barrel nut needs to be modified or not. When I took my rifle to my gunsmith I asked him to cut down the barrel nut to make sure the op rod would clear due to a post I found. He began to test fit my upper, barrel, handgaurd, and piston kit and told me he doesn’t think the barrel nutt needs to be shaved down but we did it anyway. This is a 11.7 helix on a 12.5 rainierarms 6.5 grendel. The upper receiver is Gibbs side charging. Attached will be a few photos to of my build for proof. I hope this aids anyone thinking of something similar and thanks for creating the form
View Quote

You shouldn't have to cut the barrel nut for the Superlative system.  It doesn't use the same spring/busing combo that the Adams Arms system uses.  The Superlative Op Rod is the same size as a traditional gas tube.  The spring for the Superlative is inside the gas block.  I recently completed a Superlative Piston build and as long as the gas block fits in the rail, the barrel nut isn't an issue.  I also converted my .300 BLK to an Adams Arms piston, but had to use an AA rail and barrel nut for it to work because the AA spring is designed to impinge on the traditional barrel nut.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I am looking at a Nordic NC1 hand guard, and will most likely have to machine a step in it for the bushing in an Adam kit.
Have no other small frame ARs, all others are large frame, so I have to ask, can someone please measure the length of a standard barrel nut for me?

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Standard M4 mil-spec barrel nut is .85" in length. That is what our system was designed to be installed with. If the barrel nut is longer, you can either modify the barrel nut back to .85" or move the shoulders on the drive rod forward, the difference between the length of your barrel nut and .85". any questions, please email [email protected]

-Phil
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you Phil!
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#35]
@hoody2shoez, I found the thread, thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By jmh556:
@hoody2shoez, I found the thread, thanks for the help.
View Quote

@jmh556

Glad I could help. I have been meaning to update this thread. If you have any questions reach out
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Called MagPul to see if their MOE handguard will fit a piston kitted AR.
They say they will not fit any piston kit...
Why, I don't know, but will try to find one local to see if some artistic chopping with a dremil will gain the needed clearance.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:58:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joshthemedic] [#38]
I can confirm that the Seekins Precision MCSR V2 rail will work with SA kits. It requires no modification at all.

On to the SA and a .300BO. I personally built a .300BO rifle and used the .750 solid on kit. It took a bit of tuning, but I got it to reliably work. I ended up with just the shell of the buffer, no weights inside it.

All three of these are SA piston kits. The bottom FDE setup is the .300BO
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By josh6engine:
I can confirm that the Seekins Precision MCSR V2 rail will work with SA kits. It requires no modification at all.

On to the SA and a .300BO. I personally built a .300BO rifle and used the .750 solid on kit. It took a bit of tuning, but I got it to reliably work. I ended up with just the shell of the buffer, no weights inside it.

All three of these are SA piston kits. The bottom FDE setup is the .300BO
https://i.imgur.com/dVlwNKc.jpg
View Quote

Those look great!
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#40]
The Q LLC honey badger rail fits the sup arms really well
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, jumped into the fray, and picked up a MagPull MOE SL hand guard,
Clears my hi-bred Adams kit just fine!. Plenty of clearance, even for the oversize op-rod that I run.

The fitment 'issue' is the way the front cup would interfere with the op-rod. so...
I made a billet front cup that I mounted in FRONT of the gas block, and is retained with set screws, and using the next longest hand guard.
So, if you use a carbine gas system, use a mid length MOE, and if a mid gas system, use the rifle length hand guard
On my 16" 45acp, I am running a modified pistol piston kit (+1"), so went with the carbine MOE.

Will drill & tap the set-screw holes, and then Kal Guard it later.
Since this carbine will be changed over to a LH side charge (FAL charge handle), all the coatings will be done at a layer date.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Set screw holes added.
Found that a little more clearance was needed to ease adjusting the gas block.
Just making it black left.
Really like the feel of the MOE-SL.

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:50:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: netkil] [#43]
Nice! I've used this thread for handguard knowledge for years! It's amazing it's still going.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Cool thread! I have an OG Adams Arms upper with Samson Keymo from circa ~2011.

I’ll have to bust it out and play with it.

Any Geisselle rails fit? I think my AA gas block was the old school picatinny rail one, with a couple rail sections up top. I’ll get some pics here later today.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:26:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#45]
Originally Posted By mnew007:
Cool thread! I have an OG Adams Arms upper with Samson Keymo from circa ~2011.

I’ll have to bust it out and play with it.

Any Geisselle rails fit? I think my AA gas block was the old school picatinny rail one, with a couple rail sections up top. I’ll get some pics here later today.
View Quote

the barrel nuts for the G rails are usually pretty long.  that's problematic for the AA system, where the op rod spring cup has to be 0.85" out, and then, the G barrel nuts are aluminum, AFAIK.  Probably not a good candidate for the AA system.

unless you can have the op rod machined to move the spring cup further out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:39:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Predat0r] [#46]
I'm starting a build with a solgw 13.9 barrel and plan on ordering an AA P-Series adjustable micro gas piston system (midlength) and I want to put a Fortis Rev 2 over it since it utilizes a milspec barrel nut.....I do not have the piston kit nor the handguard ordered yet because I was trying to do my homework before I spend the money.  The inside diameter of the Rev2 is supposed to be 1.340" which appears to be enough space......but can anybody confirm that this combo will work together without any unforeseeable issues?

ETA:  I guess I could get a SA piston kit and a Fortis Switch handguard....but im on a rigid budget atm and both the kit and the handguard are a bit more expensive than my original choices (above) so I was trying to save every dollar I can without sacrificing any quality and/or functionality.  Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 7:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nsxxtreme] [#47]
I have a S&W AR15 PSX I believe this has the adams arms piston setup. It has the carbine D-ring quadrail handguard. I'd like to swap out the quadrail hand guard and switch to an MLock setup that doesnt dig into the hands as much.

And suggestions on Mlock handrails?
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:47:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Predat0r:
I'm starting a build with a solgw 13.9 barrel and plan on ordering an AA P-Series adjustable micro gas piston system (midlength) and I want to put a Fortis Rev 2 over it since it utilizes a milspec barrel nut.....I do not have the piston kit nor the handguard ordered yet because I was trying to do my homework before I spend the money.  The inside diameter of the Rev2 is supposed to be 1.340" which appears to be enough space......but can anybody confirm that this combo will work together without any unforeseeable issues?

ETA:  I guess I could get a SA piston kit and a Fortis Switch handguard....but im on a rigid budget atm and both the kit and the handguard are a bit more expensive than my original choices (above) so I was trying to save every dollar I can without sacrificing any quality and/or functionality.  Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

The CMT handguards (cmt, Expo, fcd, etc) will all fit the sup arms stuff and should be cheaper than the fortis.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:48:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By nsxxtreme:
I have a S&W AR15 PSX I believe this has the adams arms piston setup. It has the carbine D-ring quadrail handguard. I'd like to swap out the quadrail hand guard and switch to an MLock setup that doesnt dig into the hands as much.

And suggestions on Mlock handrails?
View Quote

Which AA gas block is it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:31:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nsxxtreme] [#50]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

Which AA gas block is it?
View Quote

Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top