Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NinjaZX6R:
That .625 looks damn tight, so I'm thinking it probably won't work. Still haven't enjoyed my setup since November because of this damn FF tube issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

It will be tight but I believe the set screw will fit. I am unsure of the clamp on. Looking at the specs I believe it would, but I am not 100% confident.

***EDIT*** after looking at the utg diagram and the bcm diagram I am about 90% sure it would fit.
That .625 looks damn tight, so I'm thinking it probably won't work. Still haven't enjoyed my setup since November because of this damn FF tube issue.
The clamp on and the set screw only differ on the bottom. The .625 and .750 aren’t any different from the top up. It is only wider. I stand by believing that it would work.

Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#2]

The clamp on and the set screw only differ on the bottom. The .625 and .750 aren’t any different from the top up. It is only wider. I stand by believing that it would work.https://i.ibb.co/cYS034n/273-D15-D1-DFA5-4-E39-8567-E62-C4-F01-C47-C.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/GtRswc7/051-B23-EF-BE66-4-B71-A294-2737-B2483-C8-D.jpg
View Quote
I think so, as well.  It's not like there's a huge outer dimension difference between a .625" and .750" gas block.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting, I'd say you're correct.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting, I'd say you're correct.
View Quote
I’m anxious to see what yours is going to look like when you finally get this squared away.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]

I’m anxious to see what yours is going to look like when you finally get this squared away.
View Quote
10-4
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 10:42:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#6]
https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/browse/category/rifle-components/rail-systems/

FYI these fit.

@ninjazx6r
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/browse/category/rifle-components/rail-systems/

FYI these fit.

@ninjazx6r
View Quote
Nice, those rails check all the boxes for me. How did you confirm they fit, I didn't see the dimenions listed on the site?
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 1:38:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#8]
Nice, those rails check all the boxes for me. How did you confirm they fit, I didn't see the dimenions listed on the site?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

FYI these fit.

@ninjazx6r
On their facebook and instagram they have a picture of a 10.5” with a gov’t profile barrel pistol they built using ADM rail. They had block is mostly cut off from the picture and only shows one screw slot, but the bottom still has a elongated flat portion visible leaving me to believe it’s a clamp on.

Here’s the pic

Edit*** that is the 9” rail just FYI. I know the opening diameter is the same but their 10” is a 10.75” rail so if you are using a 10.5” or 10.3” barrel the rail may be too long.

***double edit***
I forgot you where building a 16” so disregard that last part.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting pic, clearly the SA kit will work. Of coure the 15" is OOS and I haven't found any of their large dealers that have the rails in stock but I've signed up for notification from ADM.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting pic, clearly the SA kit will work. Of coure the 15" is OOS and I haven't found any of their large dealers that have the rails in stock but I've signed up for notification from ADM.
View Quote
Of course it is. This whole process has been such a breeze, why would finding something that works be in stock and go smoothly?
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Of course it is. This whole process has been such a breeze, why would finding something that works be in stock and go smoothly?
View Quote
Haha, exactly. I do truly appreciate the efforts you've made for me (and others) in this regard, now its just a waiting game for it to get back in in stock😉.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 10:30:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#12]

Haha, exactly. I do truly appreciate the efforts you've made for me (and others) in this regard, now its just a waiting game for it to get back in in stock😉.
View Quote
Yeah man no problem. Trying to make it so others don’t run into our problems.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to add that the AA P-series adjustable kit does not fit under a Ruger MPR rail. Also the barrel nut in incompatable.

I'm sctratching my head now to figure out how to modify my rail and nut to work with the kit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for thread on MCMR hanguard fit for SA piston kit. I too have struggled to find a minimalist hanguard with adequate clearance.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 1:03:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sgb65] [#15]
Do the rail slots on your receiver and MCMR hanguard have correct spacing to allow placing a dual lug accessory across the gap? I find very few do. I know the Aero M4E1 threaded receiver/handguard combo creates a "monolithic" rail and will clear the SA piston block by 0.005" which a thin tolerance (for Atlas R-One and S-One) l. Any other handguard options besides the Aero, or KMR or MCMR?
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#16]
If this helps anyone, the needed clearance for the Superlative Arms Piston Block 0.986" and Aero Precision Atlas R-One has 0.991" from boreline to top of inner groove under the rail per their drawing. (I'll see if I can upload ). I tried it and fits nicely.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:21:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TomCan] [#17]
I have been running SA piston kit on a 300BLK for over a year and a half without issues. Pistol length op rod, 8.5” faxon 5r barrel with suppressor and subs. Maybe they said something when I talked to them over the phone two years ago at purchase timeI have no recollection.

Link Posted: 4/17/2019 8:56:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: InfamousAK] [#18]

The Adams arms kit IS NOT compatible with the bcm kmr-a or mcmr.

I believe the superlative arms does fit under the urx 3.1. I will double check the dimensions and get back to you.

***EDIT TO THE BOLD***

The Adams arms micro/xlp WILL fit under an mcmr. The barrel nut is going to b the limiting factor. See phil’s comment a few posts down. You will need to cut out a notch on the mcmr barrel nut to match the dimensions for a mil spec barr k nut. The length needs to be .85”
View Quote
Was wondering if you ever found out that the SA Piston system would fit under a URX 3.1 in an 11.5 Upper?

Edit: How well will this work with a Franklin Armory BFSIII Trigger? Would it be just as a reliable or would need some major tweaking to make it run properly, one of the reasons I've been looking at Piston Systems is because I've had a little trouble with this trigger, and thinking this system might be able to regulate it somewhat more efficiently, and work out the little bug I got with it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know if a sup arms piston will fit under a mi 2 piece rail? Specifically the mi-21m. I see the AA fits I don't know how interchangeable they are tho. Ultimately I'm looking for a rail that will fit the SA piston under and uses the shortest possible barrel nut, like a regular gi style.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RockGlock86:
Anyone know if a sup arms piston will fit under a mi 2 piece rail? Specifically the mi-21m. I see the AA fits I don't know how interchangeable they are tho. Ultimately I'm looking for a rail that will fit the SA piston under and uses the shortest possible barrel nut, like a regular gi style.
View Quote
Why not use one of the Troy rails that uses a gi nut if you want the shortest barrel nut possible? Get me a diagram of the rail you are interested in and I’ll help you take a look.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RockGlock86:
View Quote
I'll try to get a set of measurements of my MI-21M rail this week and post them.

The SA piston setup seems significantly smaller than the AA Micro I'm running under that rail, so I'd think it would fit, but I'll get measurements.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks ScottS I look forward to the measurements.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Bumping so this doesn’t get archived
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:22:17 AM EDT
[#24]
no love for PWS eh?  bummer!
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jsstritz:
no love for PWS eh?  bummer!
View Quote
TONS of love for them. They make a pretty good 2 go upper. that being said ive emailed them about 10 times for information on their proprietary barrels and specs of the piston system and haven't heard back
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#26]

TONS of love for them. They make a pretty good 2 go upper. that being said ive emailed them about 10 times for information on their proprietary barrels and specs of the piston system and haven't heard back
View Quote
Addax Tactical used to sell a retrofit kit with the old-style PWS parts.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a large update I’ve been working on-hoping to get around to it this weekend
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Is an SA kit compatible with the Aero m4e1 and enhanced gen2 handguard? Out of the question, or does it work?
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 5:03:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: my65pan] [#29]
Aim sports free float rails will fit over Adams Arms systems if you counterbore the barrel nut gas tube hole .65 inches deep X .375 diameter. Test fit the system, mark the block location, disassemble, thread the rail onto the barrel nut, then reassemble the piston, block, etc.

Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I really like the new Gridlock Handgaurd, https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/si-grl-html.html and was wondering if someone knew if it would work for the Adam Arms and/or Superlative Arms piston conversion kits? The .625 to be more precise. Hope this helps:

Product Specification:
Height of rail: 61.65mm
Width of rail: 46.2mm
Length of rail: 8.5"/ 10.5"/ 13"/ 15" ( it would be the 15'' one)
Internal diameter: 1.6"
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I really like the new Gridlock Handgaurd, https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/si-grl-html.html and was wondering if someone knew if it would work for the Adam Arms and/or Superlative Arms piston conversion kits? The .625 to be more precise. Hope this helps:

Product Specification:
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Product Specification:
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 12:08:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#33]
Originally Posted By mooreea051:

Product Specification:
View Quote
Judging by the dimensions it should fit the sa, adams arms requires a barrel nut with mil spec type dimensions. Would strike be willing to email you diagram of the id? The way bravo does for reference.

If you look to the top of the page you will see the smallest sa gas block and largest gas block compared.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I had hopes that SA was going to come out with a pistol length kit in 300 blackout. No dice. I had several chats with SA and they have no plans for that length/caliber in the future. Anybody know of a pistol length kit for 300 BLK other than Adams Arms?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:53:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bosundave] [#35]
Superlative arms piston kit, .750 CLAMP ON mid gas on a:
Faxon pencil 16" barrel and an UBER SLIM 15" Cobratac carbon fiber hand guard. When I got the hand guard, I looked at it and said, "No way!"
I only had to remove one tiny screw from the top rail. The washer hit the top of the gas block. The screw is 100% not needed or missed in any way.
God, I love Superlative Arms! (Never, ever, ever a set screw block for piston gas blocks. EVER! With a properly torqued and bedded clamp-on there is NO NEED to stress the barrel and waste time with pins or dimples.)
https://cobratac.com/15-3-gun-carbon-fiber-hex-ar-15-handguard-m-lok/
The above hand guard is top quality, rigid, and DIRT cheap! Slimest profile ever.  I used BCM M-Loc snap in panels and rubber ladders on top rail. BCM shorty vertical grip. BCM Mod 3 pistol grip.

Next is to mount one on my 7.5" Bear Creek barrel.... Pantheon Dolos take down hand guard. They swear NO PISTON systems.
I emailed them and promised to prove them wrong. The SA op-rod has basically the same footprint as a gas tube because the spring is internal to the gas block.
Coming/Purchased.THE WEDGE!!: Prometheus MC Wedge Lock Special

https://dealers.pantheonarms.com/prometheus-mc-wedge-lock-special/?_ga=2.143314549.1703949822.1586901077-1900613355.1586640416
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Stag Arms 8L, anyone have any success with a free floating hangars? What are my options.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Need to add the Daniel Defense MFR XL Rail to the list.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 4:28:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nickybee123] [#38]
EDITI tried a GunTec Freefloat rail with a Superlative Arms piston and no bueno.

https://guntecusa.com/product-category/ar-15/ar-15-m-lok-handguards/

It's being mated with a Gibbz Side Charger (non reciprocating) - which I love ;)

It worked with the barrel nut (a VERY tight fit so I ground off 1mm from the top) - but it could have worked without.

unfortunately the gas block/piston holder cannot quite clear the handrail top (it looks like it does but they ride high and you cannot tighten them onto the barrel nut

;(
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 4:12:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Update - Aero Precision Enhanced Gen 2 fits fine - it's quite a bit larger than the very slim Guntek free-floating hand-rail - but not uncomfortably so

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-enhanced-mlok-handguards

Interestingly however - they are designed to mate with an Aeroprecision Upper receiver (with integrated barrel nut). Since I was using a more standard AR-15 80% lower - I had to get the BAR barrel nut. Easy enough - except - the slanted finish on the Aeroprecision handguard wouldn't quite allow it to mount - bottom line is I had to grind off a few mm's of material to flatten it.

It's a very nice fit now - but just wanted to flag this in case someone else tries the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I was able to use Midwest combat rail with the Adams arms piston kit on my AR build. I did cut the barrel nut to fit the piston rod.

Link Posted: 7/30/2020 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Getting ready to build a 9” 300 blackout pistol. AA has a compatible system. Does anyone know if SA is compatible with 300 blackout?
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 11:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#42]
Originally Posted By mjarx47:
Getting ready to build a 9” 300 blackout pistol. AA has a compatible system. Does anyone know if SA is compatible with 300 blackout?
View Quote

Carbine - maybe, pistol length - hard no
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

Carbine - maybe, pistol length - hard no
View Quote

Thanks! Read something on their site confirming that after posting. They referred me to a clamp on adjustable gas block. Just ordered an AA system.

Now to find a handguard!
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#44]
An update

Currently on rotation but when I get home I have a 12.5 planned

Going to attempt an slr solo rail. If this is too tight/doesn't fit (free float is a requirement) I have a fortis switch 13.3 and cmt linear comp I'm going to use. I know that the switch 100% fits all gas blocks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mooreea051:

Product Specification:
View Quote

I've been wondering about this myself, and here's the way I figure it: if the internal diameter is 1.6in (40.64mm), but the Gridlok handguard is taller than it is wide, then 40.64mm must be the distance between the narrowest points, 3 and 9 o'clock. Subtracting from the external width 46.2mm, that leaves us a total wall thickness of 5.56mm. If the wall thickness is the same all around, then the internal height is 56.09mm. If the barrel is in the exact center of the handguard, then we have 28.045mm of space to work with. Subtract the height of the Superlative Arms piston kit at 0.986in (25.0444mm), and you should have 3.0006mm of clearance between the top of the gas block and the inside of the handguard.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:
The Midwest Industries Gen 3 freefloat handguard is not a direct fit with the AA P-series piston conversion kit.  However...

The AA piston kit presumes the use of the toothed USGI barrel nut and uses the teeth at the front of the barrel nut to support the op rod spring cup.  The USGI barrel nut is .850" tall.  The MI G3 barrel nut is about 1.165" tall and compresses the op rod spring too much and limits op rod travel, and doesn't have teeth at the .850" dimension.  cutting a notch in the MI barrel nut would be required at this end to provide the correct dimensional environment for the AA op rod, in addition to some means to provide support for the op rod spring cup, I guess, would be recommended.  Otherwise the spring cup might be slightly cock-eyed on the op rod and cause binding?  just my thoughts.  maybe if you put the flat part of the spring at the bottom, you could get away with no vertical support, unless the spring rotates in operation.

The AA P-series gas block will not fit inside the MI Gen 3 without some judicious metal contour reprofiling of the GB.  could be done with a Dremel.

https://i.imgur.com/A9vivbT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4KW0Ixv.jpg
fine print: if you do try this, be sure to leave the required free-play in the op rod (business card thickness) in the setup.
View Quote

How is this setup working out for you?
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Spoke with Midwest Industries and according to them this hand guard will in fact work with the Adams Arms piston kit.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mctar-20g2-blk.htm
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Not sure if it was mentioned and I know the love for Troy. But, I can confirm that the SA .625 clamp on works with the Troy SOCC rail. Mine is carbine length.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:23:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Smos does not fit. I can get the rail on, but it contacts the slides of the top of the gas block.

Fortis switch fits
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Wanted to drop a note to thank everyone for contributing to this thread - it was very helpful!

I built a 7.62x39 AR with the Superlative Arms piston kit, using the UTG Pro handguard. It was a snug fit at the top of the gas block, but it does fit. Personally I wanted a little bit more clearance, so I took the dremel to the handguard and relieved the bottom edges of the rectangular slot area slightly. Barely had enough reach...not sure it was worth it.

Unfortunately the gun is too undergassed to cycle properly...I should have checked with SA before ordering stuff. They recommend pistol length gas for 7.62x39 regardless of barrel length. Mine is an 18" barrel with mid-length gas. I did find a couple people who have gotten the SA kit to work with this caliber using a 16" barrel and carbine length gas. I'm going to have to swap my barrel or switch to DI...

That's all a bit off topic, I mainly wanted to thank everyone for the handguard info as this is really the best info I could find anywhere on the net.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top