Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/7/2021 12:52:19 PM EDT
Is this an absolute thing, or it's just witnessed from time to time from some switches? And is it just switches, or do the tailcaps exhibit decreased output? I have a DS00 tailcap and an SR07 switch on my OKW. I see zero difference clicking between the two. It also doesn't seem different trying Z68 clicky cap.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I have read on this forum some say they notice a difference and some do not.  I have not noticed a difference when switching between Modbutton and SR07.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't done any back to back scientific testing. Both seem pretty bright to me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I have read on this forum some say they notice a difference and some do not.  I have not noticed a difference when switching between Modbutton and SR07.
View Quote

I can't tell any difference between them. SR07, Modbutton, hotbutton, tail caps of both brands etc... but I don't have a lightometer or whatever
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Hard to believe that the company making the claim, can't afford a $39 Light Meter, and take two readings, using each switch on the same light?

Light Meter
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]
So I ended up accidentally answering this for myself, even though I didn't notice a difference clicking between the pressure switch and the tail cap button on my DS00 before. While simultaneously holding both buttons and the letting go of the DS button so only the pressure switch is on, you see the light dim slightly. Push the tail cap button again and it gets brighter. I tried it with both of my SR07 switches and got the same result. And now that I've seen it I can pick it up while just alternating back and forth. Is it the claimed 20% reduction? I don't know, but it's enough that I am going to pick up a modbutton.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an issue with the tail cap button reducing output.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Modlite-with-Surefire-tailcap-lumen-output-reduction/20-762291/

Quoted:
After reading about Surefire DS00 tail caps not allowing full current for on a Modlite I decided to a basic unscientific test.

Using a Modlite plhv2, DS00 tailcap, ST07 tape switch and Modbutton Lite tape switch.

Turned on the light with the constant on tailcap button and then pressing the ST07 tapeswich I saw an increase in lumen output.

Turned on the light with the ST07 tapeswich and then the constant on DS00 tailcap button I saw no increase in lumen output.

Turned on the light with the constant on DS00 tailcap button and then pressing the Modbotton Lite I saw slight increase in lumen output.

Turned on the light with the Modbutton Lite and then the constant on DS00 tailcap button I saw no increase in lumen output.

Oddly enough with the DS00  constant on the Surefire ST07 increased the lumen output more than the Modbutton Lite which is supposed to handle the 100% of the current.

Conclusion.  The ST07 allows more current than the DS00 button and in my case more current than the Modbutton Lite.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:46:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is this an absolute thing, or it's just witnessed from time to time from some switches? And is it just switches, or do the tailcaps exhibit decreased output? I have a DS00 tailcap and an SR07 switch on my OKW. I see zero difference clicking between the two. It also doesn't seem different trying Z68 clicky cap.
View Quote

You would never notice the difference with your eyes.  You would need a high end light sphere to record the difference.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hard to believe that the company making the claim, can't afford a $39 Light Meter, and take two readings, using each switch on the same light?

Light Meter
View Quote

These types or light meters are not meant for this.  You would need a very expensive light sphere to measure true lumen output.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Problem solved

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Problem solved

https://i.imgur.com/pKWWAzR.jpg
View Quote
Not really, the Surefire tail caps can have issues too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

These types or light meters are not meant for this.  You would need a very expensive light sphere to measure true lumen output.
View Quote

Flashaholics build their own Lumen Tubes - check out M4D M4AX on YouTube. Or: IS and LT DIY

Certainly a mfg could do the same. I still say it's marketing BS until the data gets posted.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top