Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2021 2:17:39 PM EDT
Hey guys, so as the topic suggests, my question is whether I will be able to mount a suppressor in the future. I learned the hard way that the wrong person can and will f*** up your gun if you aren't careful. I paid someone to assemble my upper, including a p&w of my Surefire Warcomp CTN, he completely botched the assembly, and I ended up shipping the upper to someone else to reassemble it.

The only thing they weren't able to fix was the pin and weld, because the first guy had actually hit the barrel with the weld.

The issue is that he didn't use the chamfered spacer that was included with the muzzle device, and now I'm worried that my only option would be to totally rebarrel it... Needless to say, I really don't want to have to do that.

I know, I know... If you plan on going NFA, learn to do things yourself... I intend to after this experience...

Any advice or bad news is much appreciated!

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:56:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m slightly confused but mostly because I’m not familiar with Surefire suppressors.  Why would a Surefire suppressor not fit?

When you say chamfered, it sounds like you are talking about a crush washer but maybe I’m wrong.  You do not use a crush washer on a muzzle device that will see suppressor use.  Surefire suppressor mounts come with very thin silver timing spacers and that looks like what is on there now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m slightly confused but mostly because I’m not familiar with Surefire suppressors.  Why would a Surefire suppressor not fit?

When you say chamfered, it sounds like you are talking about a crush washer but maybe I’m wrong.  You do not use a crush washer on a muzzle device that will see suppressor use.  Surefire suppressor mounts come with very thin silver timing spacers and that looks like what is on there now.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW....

I use shims to time all MDs. Never had an issue with a P/W using shims. I've seen guys use a CW and have issues with excess heat loosening things up.

I use SF/KAC/PWS shims.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Well, you learn something new every day.  I have some Surefire warcomps (not for suppressors) in use but have always used Accu washers.  I never even read the Surefire instructions.

I had no idea those super thin washers that came with the Warcomps have a chamfer side.  If it’s supposed to be a thicker washer, none of mine came with that specific washer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top