Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2020 7:59:22 PM EDT
Hi, anyone using a RD45 mount with a M300 and SR07 picatinny tape switch? I'm trying to figure out if it will work out on a Geissele Mk4 10" without using a Cloud defensive mount. Pics if available would be helpful.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The RM45 is a pic rail mount for the M300/600 and the SR07 is a pic tape switch, so I'm wondering what part you were concerned about and which part you would think needs to be switched with a cloud defensive part?

I don't see any reason why that setup wouldn't work, i think the only issue would be mounting the tape switch directly next to the light as the RM45 brings the light fairly close in. That being said, the older MK4 rail is a little wider, so there is a good chance that it shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't see any reason why that setup wouldn't work, i think the only issue would be mounting the tape switch directly next to the light as the RM45 brings the light fairly close in. That being said, the older MK4 rail is a little wider, so there is a good chance that it shouldn't be an issue.
View Quote
Wondering mainly if the tape switch wire will need to be secured without using the cloud defensive mount if there is too much excess wire.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wondering mainly if the tape switch wire will need to be secured without using the cloud defensive mount if there is too much excess wire.
View Quote
That will be based on where the tape switch is placed on the rail and what orientation. The SR07 is a 7" tape switch, which gives you enough room for movement, but you shouldn't have a bunch of wire flopping around. The majority of the time I have the button face towards the muzzle so it creates a "s" shape in the wire and take up slack. For any excess, I normally use a zip tie or larue clip to hold the wire in place.

Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That will be based on where the tape switch is placed on the rail and what orientation. The SR07 is a 7" tape switch, which gives you enough room for movement, but you shouldn't have a bunch of wire flopping around. The majority of the time I have the button face towards the muzzle so it creates a "s" shape in the wire and take up slack. For any excess, I normally use a zip tie or larue clip to hold the wire in place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, it looks like it should be ok., I'd rather not have to use zip ties if I can avoid that though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I personally do not like to zip tying anything to the rail. I use a small zip tie to the mounting area on the light body. It's snug but not crazy tight.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I personally do not like to zip tying anything to the rail. I use a small zip tie to the mounting area on the light body. It's snug but not crazy tight.
View Quote
Thanks. Would it make a difference if you flipped the switch around facing the other direction?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks. Would it make a difference if you flipped the switch around facing the other direction?
View Quote
It would. right now, with the way he has it, the cable makes a U shape. He pulled the bottom of the U towards the mount and secured it. If he flipped the switch, it would make an S and take up some of the slack in the cable.

The only reason not to would be if you like the constant on in a certain spot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It would. right now, with the way he has it, the cable makes a U shape. He pulled the bottom of the U towards the mount and secured it. If he flipped the switch, it would make an S and take up some of the slack in the cable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Understood, thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood, thanks.
Exactly. Flip it around and you'll take up more slack. I prefer *edit* momentary on up front.

I suggest you try out different configs until you find what you like then worry about how to secure the cable.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Exactly. Flip it around and you'll take up more slack. I prefer constant on up front.

I suggest you try out different configs until you find what you like then worry about how to secure the cable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood, thanks.
Exactly. Flip it around and you'll take up more slack. I prefer constant on up front.

Trying to determine if I get a regular tape switch and cloud defensive, or get the surefire sr07 and no cloud defensive though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Trying to determine if I get a regular tape switch and cloud defensive, or get the surefire sr07 and no cloud defensive though.
View Quote
You really can't go wrong with either. I use both. One has constant on (SR07) and one doesn't (ST07), that's the difference... And maybe price.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You really can't go wrong with either. I use both. One has constant on (SR07) and one doesn't (ST07), that's the difference... And maybe price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do like the constant on feature of the SR07. There's also a DS07 switch too that has a constant on button on the tailcap I believe. Which could also be an option possibly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
The cloud defense isn't bad, but some people feel like it raises the switch higher than people would like. It also doesn't have the constant, which is a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I do like the constant on feature of the SR07. There's also a DS07 switch too that has a constant on button on the tailcap I believe. Which could also be an option possibly.
View Quote
Scroll through these threads for ideas, if you haven't already... Lots of Geissele rails and whatnot

Official-M4A1-USASOC-URG-I-and-Clone-Picture-and-Discussion-Thread

The-Official-Geissele-Picture-Thread
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The cloud defense isn't bad, but some people feel like it raises the switch higher than people would like. It also doesn't have the constant, which is a deal breaker for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's definitely something to consider
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Scroll through these threads for ideas, if you haven't already... Lots of Geissele rails and whatnot

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do, thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#17]
If you don't want the rail mount Cloud LCS you could do the m-lok version or even use the Magpul switch mount... More options.

Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you don't want the rail mount Cloud LCS you could do the m-lok version or even use the Magpul switch mount... More options.

View Quote
Once you start looking, there are so many options. Im ok with the Coud LCS, I have one on another rifle with a Stream light and it's ok, just trying to avoid it if possible I guess.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
the only downside with those two options is that they only work with the ST07, so you don't have the constant on capability.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
the only downside with those two options is that they only work with the ST07, so you don't have the constant on capability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could also use the DS07 for constant on I think
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

Just get the SR07 and rock on.

I've made your decision. You're welcome. Ha
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
True.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

I think your right lol.

Now which mount?...
RM45 or thumbscrew?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think your right lol.

Now which mount?...
RM45 or thumbscrew?
View Quote
I'm partial to inline mounts simply for the fact I don't like anything on the 3\9 o'clock rail, whenever possible.

Terrible image but you get the idea - My 12.5 Triarc upper with Haley inline but Arisaka makes a nice one as well.

Attachment Attached File

BOOM - Your complete setup - Courtesy of Geissele

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm partial to inline mounts simply for the fact I don't like anything on the 3\9 o'clock rail, whenever possible.

Terrible image but you get the idea - My 12.5 Triarc upper with Haley inline but Arisaka makes a nice one as well.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137230/Tr1u_jpg-1266743.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137230/Gei_jpg-1266759.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think your right lol.

Now which mount?...
RM45 or thumbscrew?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137230/Tr1u_jpg-1266743.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137230/Gei_jpg-1266759.JPG
Nice, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

Arisaka inline mount

Photo credit - Rainier Arms
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
The DS07 will work with the RM45, but it might not work with after market mounts. Just something to keep in mind
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The DS07 will work with the RM45, but it might not work with after market mounts. Just something to keep in mind
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't realize that, Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, the surefire RD45 mount does not work with a Troy back up sight I forgot to mention I was using. The surefire light hits the sight with the RD45. Hopefully Gear Sector makes more of their offset mounts soon to try out or I'll have to find something else. The stock Surefire thumbscrew mount works, but I would prefer to get the light up a little higher and tucked in a little better.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well, the surefire RD45 mount does not work with a Troy back up sight I forgot to mention I was using. The surefire light hits the sight with the RD45. Hopefully Gear Sector makes more of their offset mounts soon to try out or I'll have to find something else. The stock Surefire thumbscrew mount works, but I would prefer to get the light up a little higher and tucked in a little better.
View Quote
The Troy sights have a very large base, which causes issues bumping into mounts and lights. I would suggest maybe looking at a front sight with a smaller footprint if possible.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Troy sights have a very large base, which causes issues bumping into mounts and lights. I would suggest maybe looking at a front sight with a smaller footprint if possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd like to keep the sights and try a different mount.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'd like to keep the sights and try a different mount.
View Quote
Are you placing it on the right side or left side of the rail?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Are you placing it on the right side or left side of the rail?
View Quote
Right side
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Right side
View Quote
That's the thick side of the sight, which would cause more fitment issues. This is the picture from larue using their LT752 mount and the M300. I don't think you will be able to find anything that will fit. The M600 would fit, but you have the advantage of putting the sight body next to the tube instead of the head.

You might be able to guesstimate based on relative size between the old larue rail and yours to see if you have more space.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's the thick side of the sight, which would cause more fitment issues. This is the picture from larue using their LT752 mount and the M300. I don't think you will be able to find anything that will fit. The M600 would fit, but you have the advantage of putting the sight body next to the tube instead of the head.

You might be able to guesstimate based on relative size between the old larue rail and yours to see if you have more space.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145596/LTM300_JPG-1282920.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right side

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145596/LTM300_JPG-1282920.JPG
Thanks, I  hadn't even thought about trying it on the left side for some reason. I wonder if the Gear sector offset mount would work? Problem is I can't find one anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Did you try the RM45 on the left side?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Did you try the RM45 on the left side?
View Quote
Lol, nope. I'm so used to having a light on the right side I never thought of trying it on the left side.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Just tried, it doesn't work on left side either unfortunately.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#38]
If it's hitting the Troy front BUIS, no other 45 offset is going to help. You would need to push the light out a little.

Try the Magpul offset scout mount.
Attachment Attached File

Or Arisaka side scout mount picatinny

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If it's hitting the Troy front BUIS, no other 45 offset is going to help. You would need to push the light out a little.

Try the Magpul offset scout mount.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137230/p_100016544_3_jpg-1283271.JPG

Or Arisaka side scout mount picatinny

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137230/ari-12_jpg-1283286.JPG
View Quote
Thanks, I was just looking at the arisaka pic mount. I'm wondering if the placement of the light with the arisaka is actually the same as the stock Surefire thumbscrew pic mount? It looks like they might put the light in the same position, but I can't tell.
On closer inspection, it looks like the arisaka mount would bring the light up a little higher than the thumbscrew mount, but not too much that it hits the Troy sight.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Post a picture of your setup. That might help visually.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Post a picture of your setup. That might help visually.
View Quote
I can't figure out how to do that unfortunately. It's a Geissele 10"  Mk4 Federal rail with Troy BUIS if that helps. The stock Surefire thumbscrew mount works ok, I'd just like to get the light up a little out of the way  from my fingers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#42]
This is the Thorntail SBR mount on a MK4 in conjunction with the DD fixed front sight. The Troy base is wider, but the thorntail does lift it away. The other one to look at is the thorntail 2 as it has some more lateral adjustment.

If I had a troy sight, i would try to fit it, but I don't use them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is the Thorntail SBR mount on a MK4 in conjunction with the DD fixed front sight. The Troy base is wider, but the thorntail does lift it away. The other one to look at is the thorntail 2 as it has some more lateral adjustment.

If I had a troy sight, i would try to fit it, but I don't use them.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145596/Thorntail_JPG-1283372.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145596/Thorntail3_JPG-1283376.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145596/Thorntail2_JPG-1283373.JPG
View Quote
That one and the Arisaka side mount both look like they would work.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Got the Arisaka mount today and it turned out pretty good. Raised the light up a little compared to the thumb screw mount without interfering with hitting the Troy sight.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Of course now Surefire comes out with the pivot mount, lol.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, they announced that before Shot Show, so like mid January.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, now I need that anyway lol
Did it just come on the market now?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just saw them becoming available right before the quarantines started to happen
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I just saw them becoming available right before the quarantines started to happen
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.
Well, better late than never I suppose. The pivoting mount should solve my issue now. And many others too I imagine.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top