Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2023 8:30:54 PM EDT
I'm looking at a dedicated 5.56 suppressor. I want it to be short, light, and most importantly to me, low back pressure. I don't want to have to run an adjustable gas block, I don't want a bunch of gas to the face. surefire advertises this can as lower backpressure but can't find any comparisons online or with the forum search function. any first hand experience would be appreciated.
p.s. don't tell me to just get a .30 cal can lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The FlowK has pretty good reviews from what I've read. But I've also read that it has about half the life of a standard constructed/not 3D printed can. No personal experience, just what the interwebs tell me
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I recommend the surefire and get a Radian SD charging handle and maybe a heavier buffer.

The surefire is going to be a lot more quiet, especially if you had to discharge the gun in a confined space (indoors). All the decibel readings for the oss are done outdoors which sends the blast forward, it would still be stupid loud / not hearing safe in a confined space.

Also like the above post said, the surefire literally will last you a lifetime and no maintenance. The OSS i think is only ~10,000 rounds lifespan and they recommend that you clean it frequently.

I have a surefire 556 rc2 and a OSS 762. The surefire is on my do-all AR15. The OSS is on a low-round-count ar10 precision gun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 8:27:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WIZZO_ARAKM14] [#4]
I picked up my first can last June. Shiny new babyshit brown RC2.

I don't understand how Surefire advertises it as low back pressure because I hated shooting the thing so much, I stopped taking it to the range. I think I shot 150rds through it in the first 6 months.

Ended up adding H2 buffers to most of the rifles I was going to shoot suppressed, and went with Bootleg adjustable bcg's in the two worst offenders and it's actually ok to shoot with now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:
I picked up my first can last June. Shiny new babyshit brown RC2.

I don't understand how Surefire advertises it as low back pressure because I hated shooting the thing so much, I stopped taking it to the range. I think I shot 150rds through it in the first 6 months.

Ended up adding H2 buffers to most of the rifles I was going to shoot suppressed, and went with Bootleg adjustable bcg's in the two worst offenders and it's actually ok to shoot with now.
View Quote

re: Bootleg adjustable carrier - while they are great for improving the function of the gun, they were not designed to optimize suppressor performance. When used in the suppressed settings, it vents the excess gas out of the ejection port, increasing at-ear noise. I've metered a Bootleg adj carrier and while muzzle numbers remained roughly the same, when used in the "suppressed" setting, at-ear dB's increased ~10dB compared to the "unsuppressed" setting (I did not test either of the intermediate settings). Just something to keep in mind when using a Bootleg adj carrier.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I appreciate the info! I don't shoot without ear pro even with the can because it's still uncomfortably loud for me, so I always have electromuffs on. In that case, the 10db should be gobbled up by them, but I'll keep it in mind for anything I was considering using without ear pro.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top