Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2021 10:55:53 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide if I need a couple of these things and so far I had previously written them off as a gimmicky product that really is a solution in search of a problem.  Now I'm kinda rethinking that and may consider a couple 60s or 100s if I can find them.  Does the military actually use these mags and if so what is the purpose?
I could see having one in the gun when you want to send a bunch down range without interruption but they would need to be 100 percent reliable.  What's the verdict?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know for sure but don’t think any US military use them, but definitely could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven’t seen one in a long time but they were junk when they first came out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Surefire steel 60 I was given. It’s reliable with no issues, so mine is gtg.

Heavy when fully loaded.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one that works great, it is of the 'newer' versions.

From what I've read, they had problems back when they first hit the market. But they fixed this and the ones being sold now are better, at least the one I bought is solid (2016 manufacture I think).
Only 'gripe' with mine is purely cosmetic, on the back end of the feed lips it doesn't look like they did a good job forming them. The metalwork just looks sloppy/uneven, but it works just fine...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#5]
IME quadstacks don't like steel ammunition.

Brass normally works great. Out of three surefire mags, one (2012 production model) had to go back for repair.

I've got over a dozen more now, but most don't have rounds through them yet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Are the 60s still in production?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are the 60s still in production?
View Quote

I believe so.

The one I recently received has a manufacturing date of 10/20.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I had 2 60s that was hit or miss, and one of the 100 rounders that was absolute trash...  I've heard they have improved on the 60. I gave up on them before the rework, and went the Magpul D60 route.

If I were in the market for 60 round quad-stack mags, I'd spend 49 dollars and buy the ATI Schmeissers. I've played with 3 of them that belong to a buddy, and they seemed to be great... With the exception of loading (pain in the ass- same as the surefires), they have ran 100% in everything I've put them in...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don’t know for sure but don’t think any US military use them, but definitely could be wrong.
View Quote

I know some Rangers who tried them State-side very early after they came out.

I remember them saying they had lots of problems.

Don't know if it was anything official or not.

Pennsylvania is hardly Iraq or Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a few 100's that work great. But they are HEAVY & GOOFY.  Not made any longer you'll have to find them used.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had no issues with my 60 rounders... but I make sure the cartridges are fully seated to the rear and I haven't tried steel in them either

Greg Ellifritz review
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one SureFire 60 rounder. Used it numerous times at Front Sight, NV.

It has been very reliable. Only used brass cased ammo and you have to make sure each round is fully seated to the rear.

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a 60 from 2011 and the only problems I've had are with steel cased. I did have some brass rounds fall out when it was drop tested, and I came to the conclusion that it was because the rounds weren't seated all the way back. Since paying attention to that, I've never replicated the issue.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got a 60 from 2011 and the only problems I've had are with steel cased. I did have some brass rounds fall out when it was drop tested, and I came to the conclusion that it was because the rounds weren't seated all the way back. Since paying attention to that, I've never replicated the issue.
View Quote

You drop tested a fully loaded Surefire 60?  I'd love to hear more details about this.  Being as heavy as it is, and that it's made out of aluminum, I'd be afraid I'd wreck the feed lips if I did a drop test from any meaningful height onto concrete, etc.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You drop tested a fully loaded Surefire 60?  I'd love to hear more details about this.  Being as heavy as it is, and that it's made out of aluminum, I'd be afraid I'd wreck the feed lips if I did a drop test from any meaningful height onto concrete, etc.
View Quote

Hah, yeah I'm sure you would...

I use that term loosely. Dropping from heights that are practical and common for my usage, such as from a vehicle, from torso and shoulder height and etc. That's a more meaningful test to me than what it sounds like you're referring to, which doesn't fit my purpose. If I drop it from a skyscraper onto a concrete surface then I'll just grab an L5 or a PMAG.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I had several Surefire 60s then and now all have failed even newer production ones I then got Schmeisser 60rnd mags all have worked flawless other than they are a little longer then surefire they have worked 100% but time will tell I do have 5x mags now I may get 5x more since the price is like $40-50 range.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I have heard of a lot more issues with Schmeisser magazines than with Surefire, there is even a long thread in this forum about them.  Even @Mrgunsandgear had issues with Schmeisser magazines during his YouTube review.

I also doubt that you've had issues with Surefires newest gen 60s.  I've never heard of a problem with those.  Smells like a shill.

Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Hah, yeah I'm sure you would...

I use that term loosely. Dropping from heights that are practical and common for my usage, such as from a vehicle, from torso and shoulder height and etc. That's a more meaningful test to me than what it sounds like you're referring to, which doesn't fit my purpose. If I drop it from a skyscraper onto a concrete surface then I'll just grab an L5 or a PMAG.
View Quote

@Diamond2J I'm still interested to learn more as even a 3 - 4 foot drop is substantial.  What area of the mags impacted during your drops?  Feedlips, etc?  What type of medium did the mags drop onto?  concrete, dirt, etc.  Any feedlip damage / deformation from the drops, or what effects did you experience?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Magpul D60 for the win.

I have two of them that I run. You get all the capacity with the ability to prone out at the same height of a standard 30 rounder. They run like Champs, even on sustained full auto. 60-0 without a hiccup way before the ammo crisis of 2020/2021.

Great magazine if expanded capacity is what you need.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Blitzmag

These are made locally here in Missouri.
I work part time at a local gun store and we had several of them in.
I've got a Surefire 60 rd mag and the build quality of the Blitzmag is substantially better than the Surefire.
We sold out of them, but I'll be buying a couple here soon when they come back in.

I took one apart and was pretty impressed with the engineering and sturdiness of the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Bolt didn’t lock open on empty mag in video. More expensive than D-60. Hard pass on the Shitzmag.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Lower capacity than Surefires or D60's, more expensive than a D60 or Surefire, looks larger than a Surefire, BHO doesnt seem to work...yeah its a no from me dawg
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Lower capacity than Surefires or D60's, more expensive than a D60 or Surefire, looks larger than a Surefire, BHO doesnt seem to work...yeah its a no from me dawg. Blitzmag isn't the move

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:55:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Mid-2017 and later SF60s are GTG. They supposedly had a design update to address reliability, but I don't know details. I've had zero issues with my SF60s made after that date, for what it's worth. Gone through several full mags worth at shoots, no problems to report, same as the D60 drums.

Never used their 100-rounders.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mid-2017 and later SF60s are GTG. They supposedly had a design update to address reliability, but I don't know details. I've had zero issues with my SF60s made after that date, for what it's worth. Gone through several full mags worth at shoots, no problems to report, same as the D60 drums.

View Quote

Around 2016 they redesigned the follower by adding an extended "lip" at the front to keep it from tilting.  Before then, they also increased the strength of the springs to aid in cycling.  Not sure where you got the mid 2017 date from?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Around 2016 they redesigned the follower by adding an extended "lip" at the front to keep it from tilting.  Before then, they also increased the strength of the springs to aid in cycling.  Not sure where you got the mid 2017 date from?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Second hand information.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Second hand information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Second hand information.

From what source?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

From what source?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Second hand information.

From what source?

People on this website.

I was looking to buy some more in 2017 and was told, I think, either March or April 2017 was what to look for to be guaranteed you have the new design.

Glad to hear it was actually 2016.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top