Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2021 6:57:44 PM EDT
Hello all,

I come to you today with a bit of a strange question. (TLDR): (1) I have a 10.3" barrel and a 10" barrel and I don't know if I can get enough space between muzzle and rail to attach a suppressor [pics below]. (2) I have read about .7-.8 is needed to attach most suppressors. can I use shims and Rocksett to obtain the space needed without making my suppressor a shiny baffle dust confetti cannon?

" />
" />

So, I am looking to grab my first suppressor soon (recommendations greatly appreciated ^_^) but I have a possible problem with clearance. As you can see in the pictures above there is little to no space between where the muzzle starts and where the rail ends. I love the look and feel of my current rail set up and really do not want to change it but I also want to add a suppressor to the gun. However, I am fairly sure that that very small amount of clearance is not going to allow my to run any QD suppressor on the market. I know you can shim the muzzle devices to get the timing on them and thought maybe I could use them to give me enough space to sneak a can on there but have no idea if this is just a stupid idea (most likely) or if shims and Rocksett could be my saving grace. If there are other options which I have overlooked (100% likely) I would love to hear about them!

Thanks for reading and any feedback you can provide,
L
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a direct thread flash hider, good to go
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Not quite sure what you mean friend. Do you mean a direct thread suppressor or some type of direct thread A2 flash hider? I might or more likely should have mentioned the fact that the ID of the rail is around 1.3 so it can't fit a normal 1.5 OD can inside it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not quite sure what you mean friend. Do you mean a direct thread suppressor or some type of direct thread A2 flash hider? I might or more likely should have mentioned the fact that the ID of the rail is around 1.3 so it can't fit a normal 1.5 OD can inside it.
View Quote

Is it greater than or less than 1.3"? Is the rail perfectly concentric with the barrel? The locking ring (widest part) of a YHM QD brake is 1.25". The back of the ring is about 0.19" from the shoulder on the barrel.

https://yhm.net/yhm-5m2-qd-phantom-turbo.html
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#4]
What I got from the was a 1.33 ID reading but they are from a automotive store and not NASA grade so imma say between 1.3 and 1.34 lol. I thought about the YH line due specifically to their mounting system but my local shop hasn't had one in for a good bit. They do have a Omega 300 and Surefire Rc2 but, due to my mounting predicament, I am not keen on grabbing either only to find I need a new barrel or handguard to fit it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never used these, but considered them for an AR10 build where the Aero rail was slightly longer than I expected.  They indicate they are concentric and should align well per the website.
https://hughesprecision.com/product-category/accessories/thread-adapters-extensions-conversions/
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top