BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Back from the range. CMMG .22 adapter kit, in a factory stock 16" Bushmaster 5.56, along with the Boonie Packer BMAII S&W mag adapter and three 15-22 mags.

Good news, the SS weight worked as intended. Nice!

Bad news, the Boonie Packer BMAII S&W 15-22 mag adapter did not. Their new spring detent retention system that is supposed to keep the adapter in place when removing the magazine, doesn't.  I don't know why they didn't go with a top retention screw & washer like the bottom insert 9mm Colt mag adapters (e.g. KAK)...  Too bad, because when it works, it works well, but only stayed in place with one of my 3 mags, so it's a no-go.

I'm ditching the whole kit and getting a M&P 15-22 as a trainer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back from the range. CMMG .22 adapter kit, in a factory stock 16" Bushmaster 5.56, along with the Boonie Packer BMAII S&W mag adapter and three 15-22 mags.

Good news, the SS weight worked as intended. Nice!

Bad news, the Boonie Packer BMAII S&W 15-22 mag adapter did not. Their new spring detent retention system that is supposed to keep the adapter in place when removing the magazine, doesn't.  I don't know why they didn't go with a top retention screw & washer like the bottom insert 9mm Colt mag adapters (e.g. KAK)...  Too bad, because when it works, it works well, but only stayed in place with one of my 3 mags, so it's a no-go.

I'm ditching the whole kit and getting a M&P 15-22 as a trainer.
View Quote

I don't remember a spring detent on my last BMA (just the plunger that comes out of the side), but I switched over to Catch22s.  Maybe my Anderson magazine well was so tight that the friction retained it.

What about taking a gentle divot out of the side of your magazine well into which the plunger could sit?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I found the better mag adapter to be a bit of a learning curve, but after I figured out the quirks, I can't go back to standard mags.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't remember a spring detent on my last BMA (just the plunger that comes out of the side), but I switched over to Catch22s.  Maybe my Anderson magazine well was so tight that the friction retained it.

What about taking a gentle divot out of the side of your magazine well into which the plunger could sit?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"plunger that comes out the side" - yes, that's what I'm talking about.  It says on their site it supposed to retain the adapter even when you pull out a mag but it does not, at least not with our rifle.

Here:
The improved BMA II allows the magazine to drop free when the catch is pushed and will not be pulled out by the magazine. ... The adaptor block is simply inserted into the magazine well and kept in place by a spring loaded friction plunger.

Thanks for the modification suggestion, but we have a 15-22 on the way now.  Going with a dedicated trainer instead of messing around with an eclectic mix of adapters and modifications.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks for the modification suggestion, but we have a 15-22 on the way now.  Going with a dedicated trainer instead of messing around with an eclectic mix of adapters and modifications.
View Quote

Certainly.  Just a suggestion -- before you get rid of the BMA, be sure you find the 15-22 satisfactory.  Some people love them; some don't.

Building a 22lr only lower is also an option.  That's why I got away from the BMA.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
So back on topic again:

Yesterday I broke into my stash of "junk" ammo (Armscor 36gr) that used to run horribly in my upper with 2-5 FTF per box of 50.  I've got all the upgrades in my rifle (naturally).  Running the stainless weight and level 2 extractor spring as well as a pre-production BoreBuddy firing pin, I was able to run through half a brick without a single malfunction or FTF.   It was all grins and no frustration -- I'm not sure what upgrade part(s) changed the equation, but I'm a happy camper.  

PS: Production firing pins are at the heat treat shop currently and I expect shipping pre-orders to begin the first week of July.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So back on topic again:

Yesterday I broke into my stash of "junk" ammo (Armscor 36gr) that used to run horribly in my upper with 2-5 FTF per box of 50.  I've got all the upgrades in my rifle (naturally).  Running the stainless weight and level 2 extractor spring as well as a pre-production BoreBuddy firing pin, I was able to run through half a brick without a single malfunction or FTF.   It was all grins and no frustration -- I'm not sure what upgrade part(s) changed the equation, but I'm a happy camper.  

PS: Production firing pins are at the heat treat shop currently and I expect shipping pre-orders to begin the first week of July.  

View Quote

Great to hear! Any update on if a Stainless Adjustable bolt weight will be in the works?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Great to hear! Any update on if a Stainless Adjustable bolt weight will be in the works?
View Quote

It's in the works, but I don't have a solid availability date yet.  It'll probably be a initial run of 100, and I'm sure they'll go fast when I finally have them ready.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I haven't done as much testing as I would like yet.  I shoot rifle uppers, including a 20 inch barrel.  The black/gray soot that coats the interior of the lower can be considerable.  I did take the trigger out of my lower and get everything cleaned up before shooting with the weight.

After hundreds of rounds, including a bunch of Thunderbolt, I can tell the lower has been fired, but it doesn't have that spray painted with black sand appearance.
View Quote

Having just cleaned mine today after untold thousands of rounds (), this is a major selling point for me.  Reducing port pop by delaying extraction is another bonus feature.

Any idea how this compares to the ball detent mod? This seems like a better option.

OP, do you plan on making any with serrations for the forward assist, like the CMMG weight? I had their plastic FA adapter, but it was short-lived.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, do you plan on making any with serrations for the forward assist, like the CMMG weight? I had their plastic FA adapter, but it was short-lived.
View Quote

I checked the patent numbers on my CMMG BCG.

One is for the FA serrations on a separate piece.  I don't know whether Tippman has a licensing agreement for that.

The other two are a making the recoil rod a cleaning part, and using a cottering pin to retain the FP.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Question for those that have the BB weight. does it install without having to disassemble? My conversions are Ceiner and the weight slips in from the right side without disassembly. The weight does catch the little lip on the recoil guide tube just fine and seems to hold in place thru the little bit manual cycling I have done. The weight fit is pretty loose and I'm wondering if its the fact my conversion is not CMMG.

Maybe I was wrong in assuming disassembly would be required for the weight install and that it would fit fairly snug?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Question for those that have the BB weight. does it install without having to disassemble? My conversions are Ceiner and the weight slips in from the right side without disassembly. The weight does catch the little lip on the recoil guide tube just fine and seems to hold in place thru the little bit manual cycling I have done. The weight fit is pretty loose and I'm wondering if its the fact my conversion is not CMMG.

Maybe I was wrong in assuming disassembly would be required for the weight install and that it would fit fairly snug?
View Quote

There are two dimensions at play (no pun).

One is the distance between the spring shroud and the frame.  I've found some variability in BCG, even amongst CMMG units.  In one the weight slide right out from under the shroud; in the other the weight sort of clicks in under the shroud.  In neither does the BCG need to be disassembled.

The other dimension is fore and aft,  from the nub at the end of the spring shroud to the back of the bolt cylinder.  My stainless BB weight has negligible fore and aft play once installed.

My wild guess is that for both dimensions, CMMG, Ceiner and BB all measure their pieces for the smallest dimensions so they will fit everyone's BCG.  If your BCG has more generous dimensions, you might need a shim to reduce movement.  I've tried making a shim from JB Weld, but I haven't tested it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Having just cleaned mine today after untold thousands of rounds (), this is a major selling point for me.  Reducing port pop by delaying extraction is another bonus feature.

Any idea how this compares to the ball detent mod? This seems like a better option.

View Quote

No, we want to respect the patent, even if others are getting away with not doing so.  Also, in my experience, who actually uses a forward assist on a 22lr?  If I'm needing to shove the bolt closed, I need to clean the rifle badly or risk OOB detonation and all the fun associated with that event.  

The keeping the rifle cleaner is a very serendipitous side effect of the weight that we did not have in the list of goals when designing this component.  Turns out it it's a great feature for those of us shooting semi-auto with or without a can.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#14]
FA assist adapter is a non essential to me in my AR dedicated Rifle. It is really not even very important in a GI Rifle in my opinion anyway.

About 1000 rounds so far on the Bore Buddy prototype firing pin with Binary, you sent me out. So far, so good. Going to place a order for a couple production ones from you soon also. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone know if it would work with a Tactical Solutions upper?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if it would work with a Tactical Solutions upper?
View Quote

I tried the adjustable version, and it didn’t.  Seemed too long.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#17]
The photo on the left shows a CMMG bolt (top) next to a Chiappa bolt (bottom). The photo on the right is the TacSol bolt. I do not see the Bore Buddy bolt weight working with the TacSol bolt. And as you can see, it won't work on the Chiappa bolt.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you for the TacSol help guys!
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Another Arfcom thread that cost me money.  I ordered up the brass adjustable, along with a few other goodies.  I've been playing the AR15 22 LR conversion game for a ton of years now.  Yikes, maybe 2 decades now.  Looking forward to tinkering with it.  I run a couple of different kits, and way back when, I picked up the sear trip and anti-bounce weight that I have continued to use.  The ceiner weight most definitely helps with bounce, oob detonation and overall function.  Cool having some new manufacturers jump into this game.

I paid the premium for expedited shipping, as I have a week long ranch/shooting trip coming up next week.  Hope the gear makes it in time.  Then maybe I'll get off my duff, and find someone who can chop and thin a Keuhl 20" tack driver full profile barrel.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#20]
As on this morning, the adjustable weights are sold out.  Gen 2 adjustable is currently being prototyped, more standard stainless should be available next week.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 12:03:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As on this morning, the adjustable weights are sold out.  Gen 2 adjustable is currently being prototyped, more standard stainless should be available next week.
View Quote

What changes do you expect for the Gen 2 adjustable version?
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Gen 2 has a redesigned back plate with the wear surface integrated for easy replacement if it wears after x number of thousands of rounds (for the hopeless rimfire addicts out there!) as well as a slightly longer (0.025" longer) internal cavities for a bit internal sliding for bounce damping.  We are also planning at this point to ship with several sets of weights of different materials for nearly infinite tuning while retaining the internal hammer effect.  Before you had to remove some or all weights to lighten the weight to cycle in short barrels or with low-powered ammo.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks.
Any chance for a version that will work with the TacSol bolt?
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Possibly -- I don't have a rifle in the fleet to do the R&D on, and I've never even seen one in person.  I'd have to get my hands on one and also see if there's a market for them (i.e. a group buy type situation).
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Would it help if I gave you pictures and dimensions of the bolt?
I have no idea what the demand would be for this, unfortunately...
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing pretty low -- aren't they discontinued?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not to discourage anyone from doing anything, but -

TacSol owners seem more satisfied with their rifles' operation.  Additionally, except for the short period when Tacsol decided to discontinue its AR22 products and they were offered at clearance prices, TacSol rifles were more expensive and therefore relatively rare.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#28]
damn this is a game changer!
for those of you using the BFS 2 binary trigger and CMMG conversion, are you using the cmmg or fostech sear kit?
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#29]
not sure if I am understanding the question for sure aboout the sear. But I have a Franklin Binary. Though I have never tried a Fostech trigger. I have read that Fostechs are pretty much a no go with the CMMG conversion. If that is what you are asking.

My Franklin runs beautiful in my rifle with the CMMG Bolt. I just use the sear that comes with the Franklin Trigger. Did not know a Fostech sear would work in a Franklin setup?
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#30]
is there bolt bounce on a dedicated 22lr upper?
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
is there bolt bounce on a dedicated 22lr upper?
View Quote

Yes.  I believe that R-man's video is a dedicated 22lr upper.  I couldn't tell I had bolt bounce - that's just how my rifle sounded - until I tried the buffer.  Without extra weight, there is a pronounced second click when the bolt comes home; you'll really notice it when it is missing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I myself do not notice it as obvious. But the slo mo video shows it. So it is there.. And CMMG has obviously known it does exist for a long time too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wanted to give a range report on the stainless steel bolt weight. I have in installed in my pistol with a 4.5" barrel. The bolt and barrel are both from CMMG and I'm using standard AR parts in the lower. I am using a Kak Micro Sim Flat Can. I shot CCI AR Tactical, CCI Mini Mags, and CCI standard velocity.

I had issues with the bolt weight and shooting the CCI Standard. Either the bolt would go back just far enough to eject the spent case and feed the next but it would not go back far enough to reset the trigger. The other MAJOR problem was that the pistol would sometimes double while using CCI Standard. I know it is due to the bolt weight since I just shot the pistol the other day with CCI standard and it functioned just fine before adding the bolt weight. The stainless steel is definitely too heavy for standard velocity ammo and a 4.5" barrel.

I did notice a difference with the AR Tactical and Mini Mags. They shot/functioned just fine and there was less noticed recoil and the gun felt smoother compared to no buffer weight.

My final thought: I'll stick with running high velocity ammo in this pistol with the bolt weight since it worked fine with that combo. AS far as the trigger not resetting or getting doubles, maybe the stainless steel weight is too much for the 4.5" barrel.
View Quote

This is similar to a build I just finished.  Its a 4.5 inch barrel with a CMMG bolt/collar in a slick side upper.  I usually run standard velocity ammo through it and I don't have a suppressor yet.  Will this weight benefit me at all?  I do think I am going to get a set of the bolt buffers.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#34]
This looks like a fantastic upgrade to a 22lr build. I plan on trying it out when I get around to building a 22lr upper.

But I do have a question. What is this ball detent mod that several have mentioned for the cmmg style bolts?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I was trying to find the old links on the ball detent mod and can't them online.  I have a few kits w/ the ball detent mod but must say that with the Bore Buddy adjustable kit, I don't bother with the ball detent mod anymore.  The adjustable BoreBuddy kit has made all of my barrel lengths reliable now and this in full auto.  Suppressed and un-suppressed.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Ball detent pics are in this thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Please-help-me-tune-my-new-22lr-upper/23-492459/

Sorry. Not live. On my phone.  

Amphibian. That is with brass adjustable??  

Thanks.  

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:27:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted: Ball detent pics are in this thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Please-help-me-tune-my-new-22lr-upper/23-492459/

Sorry. Not live. On my phone.  

Thanks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is similar to a build I just finished.  Its a 4.5 inch barrel with a CMMG bolt/collar in a slick side upper.  I usually run standard velocity ammo through it and I don't have a suppressor yet.  Will this weight benefit me at all?  I do think I am going to get a set of the bolt buffers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wanted to give a range report on the stainless steel bolt weight. I have in installed in my pistol with a 4.5" barrel. The bolt and barrel are both from CMMG and I'm using standard AR parts in the lower. I am using a Kak Micro Sim Flat Can. I shot CCI AR Tactical, CCI Mini Mags, and CCI standard velocity.

I had issues with the bolt weight and shooting the CCI Standard. Either the bolt would go back just far enough to eject the spent case and feed the next but it would not go back far enough to reset the trigger. The other MAJOR problem was that the pistol would sometimes double while using CCI Standard. I know it is due to the bolt weight since I just shot the pistol the other day with CCI standard and it functioned just fine before adding the bolt weight. The stainless steel is definitely too heavy for standard velocity ammo and a 4.5" barrel.

I did notice a difference with the AR Tactical and Mini Mags. They shot/functioned just fine and there was less noticed recoil and the gun felt smoother compared to no buffer weight.

My final thought: I'll stick with running high velocity ammo in this pistol with the bolt weight since it worked fine with that combo. AS far as the trigger not resetting or getting doubles, maybe the stainless steel weight is too much for the 4.5" barrel.

As you can see in my earlier post, the combination of the stainless steel weight and CCI Standard Velocity ammo did NOT work with a 4.5" barrel. High velocity CCI Mini Mags and CCI AT tactical ammo worked great in my 4.5" pistol with the Bore Buddy stainless weight.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks.  
View Quote
Yes....http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=712
I think it is the fact that it is designed to have some gap for the internal tungsten weights to slide which allows it to work with various uppers in full auto.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#40]
So I was looking around for a buffer tube plug for my dedicated .22 SBR AR when I found bore buddy and this thread. After looking at their other products, I’ve decided the premium reliability kit is the way to go.

I have a 4.5” CMMG setup that is suppressed 100% of the time. I mostly shoot bulk pack high velocity stuff like aguila and golden bullets but sometimes CCI SV too. I like the idea that the weight keeps the lockup closed a hair longer and translates to less fowling in the receiver.

My question is, do I get the standard SS weight or wait till the adjustable one is available? I’ve read a couple posts here stating issues with a 4.5” bbl and CCI SV will not cycle reliably. Was that using a suppressed or unsuppressed setup is essentially my question? I also will use the upper on a MG lower occasionally FWIW but it’ll mostly stay on my SBR.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So I was looking around for a buffer tube plug for my dedicated .22 SBR AR when I found bore buddy and this thread. After looking at their other products, I've decided the premium reliability kit is the way to go.

I have a 4.5" CMMG setup that is suppressed 100% of the time. I mostly shoot bulk pack high velocity stuff like aguila and golden bullets but sometimes CCI SV too. I like the idea that the weight keeps the lockup closed a hair longer and translates to less fowling in the receiver.

My question is, do I get the standard SS weight or wait till the adjustable one is available? I've read a couple posts here stating issues with a 4.5" bbl and CCI SV will not cycle reliably. Was that using a suppressed or unsuppressed setup is essentially my question? I also will use the upper on a MG lower occasionally FWIW but it'll mostly stay on my SBR.
View Quote
I would try the adjustable weight if it was me.

Amphibian has had good luck with short barrels running the adjustable weight.

I have the standard stainless steel weight and it did not function correctly for me in my 4.5" barrel using CCI Standard Velocity (see my earlier posts)
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have the standard stainless steel weight and it did not function correctly for me in my 4.5" barrel using CCI Standard Velocity (see my earlier posts)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I was looking around for a buffer tube plug for my dedicated .22 SBR AR when I found bore buddy and this thread. After looking at their other products, I've decided the premium reliability kit is the way to go.

I have a 4.5" CMMG setup that is suppressed 100% of the time. I mostly shoot bulk pack high velocity stuff like aguila and golden bullets but sometimes CCI SV too. I like the idea that the weight keeps the lockup closed a hair longer and translates to less fowling in the receiver.

My question is, do I get the standard SS weight or wait till the adjustable one is available? I've read a couple posts here stating issues with a 4.5" bbl and CCI SV will not cycle reliably. Was that using a suppressed or unsuppressed setup is essentially my question? I also will use the upper on a MG lower occasionally FWIW but it'll mostly stay on my SBR.

Yup, I believe yours was one of the posts I saw a few pages back. Were you running with a can on?

If that’s the case, I guess I’ll have to wait till next month to place an order.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Rumor has it there will be a (very) limited number of stainless adjustable weights available by next week and I'll tip off this thread before other announcements are made.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#44]
No I was not running a can.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No I was not running a can.
View Quote

I see. May not effect my use then but I won’t take the chance.

I will just have to wait till next week then just to have peace of mind with the adjustable carrier
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Rumor has it there will be a (very) limited number of stainless adjustable weights available by next week and I'll tip off this thread before other announcements are made.  
View Quote

I'll get my credit card ready
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Psst....the stainless steel adjustable weights are in stock.

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#48]
One less available
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Psst....the stainless steel adjustable weights are in stock.

https://i.imgur.com/41kVXE1.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/S5cn79H.jpg
View Quote

Nice. Will you offer the premium reliability kit with the adjustable bolt as an option?
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:49:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Question from way out in left field:

Any possibility of a mold to cast a weight like this out of hard-ball lead alloy?  For those of us who cast our own boolits from lead alloys it could work quite nicely to add weight beyond what brass and stainless offers and if they get a little worn just melt them down and re-cast.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top