Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2022 10:57:20 PM EDT
Man, I don't know if I lucked out or what, but I finally got my ar 308 up and running, and at 100 yards i get groups like this...

https://imgur.com/u78kE0n (img insert not working?).

I'm becoming convinced that building (assembling, let's be real) your own is the way to go. Because that lower shot I pulled just a little.

PS this post is in no way to pretend that I'm actually a good shot. Just super impressed with what good parts can do, and the price they can do it at.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Please repost pic.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Image fix for OP

And congratz!
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

You win this thread.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#4]
wow, you did that with a 12" BCA barrel?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:12:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I knew this was not a house build. No homeowner has ever been super pleased. If they can't get lots of free shit, they think they got fucked, even if the build was smoothe as silk.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

huh?

that's with an 18" criterion barrel
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

huh?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh?

cool.  how bout some more details on this awesome Home Build?  you know, to inspire us?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#8]
why is my sarcasm detector going off right now...
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
why is my sarcasm detector going off right now...
View Quote

User error.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]
very possible.

so it's that aero m5 upper/lower setup, made things easier, a criterion barrel 18", a cmc "enhanced" bcg (which i wonder if matters for accuracy), and furniture and stuff.

oh, and the triggertech diamond, which is fantastic. especially for a newb long range shooter like me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks.  wasn't being sarcastic.  was curious about the details for a successful build since this forum is littered with unsuccessful builds.

I suspect most successful AR-10 builders don't bother posting, they're so stoked, they just go out and shoot the darn thing, and away they go.

job well done.

Attachment Attached File

ETA:  curious about buffer, buffer spring, buffer tube, handguard, gas block, charging handle, muzzle device, optic, scope mount?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#12]
oh, well, the rest...

got the spike's heavy buffer and whatever size aero tube he recommended, not sure how good it is compared to a JP or whatever (?)

the handguard is also the aero m5 thing (for super easy install)

aero m5 breach (big ol' thing, looked a lot like the radian)

SA adjustable gas block (which i haven't messed much with yet)

FU muzzle device from creative arms that will match my quietbore suppressor... when it gets out of purgatory... sigh... (which i spray painted because it's chrome colored)

vortex viper pst gen 2 3-15, larue vfz mount, got them together for discount

magpul stock and grip

i think that's it?

i should compile all my parts and make a nicer list to read. honestly, i just went deal hunting for an entire day for fairly nice (gucci? i hate that word) parts where i thought it counted. and did the aero m5 thing so i could assembly it easier.

and magpul bipod should be arriving today...

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#13]
oh! and...

aero LPK.

for the record, i don't think their LPK is all that great. it works, but my LWRC LPK is just... nicer. the safety (which is ambi for 10 bucks more) is so much smoother and easier to use. the mag release button seems to fit better too. i'll probably just get more of those for future builds.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
oh! and...

aero LPK.

for the record, i don't think their LPK is all that great. it works, but my LWRC LPK is just... nicer. the safety (which is ambi for 10 bucks more) is so much smoother and easier to use. the mag release button seems to fit better too. i'll probably just get more of those for future builds.
View Quote

the Aero M5 LPK shoulda had the taller mag release button, which is unique to the Aero M5 large frame.  not sure that item can be swapped out with other brands.  there are 3 proprietary parts for the Aero M5 lower LPK:  pivot pin, take-down pin, and the mag-release button.

Since you said "heavy", I'm guessing your buffer is the 5.3oz version, 2.5" over-all length, and your buffer tube is the 7" inside-depth AR-15 carbine buffer tube.  That's a proven-to-work combo, with the right spring.  I rely on the Slash HeavyBuffer 308 carbine buffer spring, $15.

if you went with the AR-15 length buffer, 3.25" OAL, then hopefully you have the "A5" buffer tube which is about 7-3/4" inside-depth.  Anyways, sounds like you got it sorted.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

the Aero M5 LPK shoulda had the taller mag release button, which is unique to the Aero M5 large frame.  not sure that item can be swapped out with other brands.  there are 3 proprietary parts for the Aero M5 lower LPK:  pivot pin, take-down pin, and the mag-release button.

Since you said "heavy", I'm guessing your buffer is the 5.3oz version, 2.5" over-all length, and your buffer tube is the 7" inside-depth AR-15 carbine buffer tube.  That's a proven-to-work combo, with the right spring.  I rely on the Slash HeavyBuffer 308 carbine buffer spring, $15.

if you went with the AR-15 length buffer, 3.25" OAL, then hopefully you have the "A5" buffer tube which is about 7-3/4" inside-depth.  Anyways, sounds like you got it sorted.
View Quote

Full disclosure, I called the guy up, told him what I'm making, and that I was going to shoot suppressed near exclusively (once I get the damn thing), and he told me what I needed. Let me look it up... Got an XH Carbine Buffer, some regular spring that's kinda gritty, and an A5 buffer kit.

I got an Aero LPK with an Aero lower (M5), I don't know about that mag release, and it works perfectly fine, it just seems to sink into the left side a bit. I really don't care. The reason I like the LWRC LPK is because the safety, as well as being ambi (if you order that), is really smooth in comparison. And it's a bit taller, which makes a bit of a difference. But, minor stuff.

I don't know about that proprietary thing you're talking about... everything seemed 100% standard to me?

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Curious about your thoughts about the CMC BCG, specifically the extra gas exhaust port, ( 3 instead of 2 )  does your build "feel" smoother / soft shooting ?

How many clicks open is the SA GB ?

As for the flare at the end of the BCG, you might not notice better precision within a few hundred yards... but I would like to think the more consistent back to battery position will help at longer ranges.
View Quote

I wish I could say, but I have no idea about the CMC BCG. It's the only AR10 (AR308? whatever) I've shot. I chose that BCG because it was reputed to be really nice 'n stuff...

The SA is, I think, 7 clicks in. Which means it's maximally open with no bleed off (that's what I made a point to do, for now). I have yet to play around with it, but I'm likely to at some point. Certainly once my suppressor is released from purgatory.

What do you mean by "flare" at the end of the BCG? I can say, I have yet to start pushing it out to distance, but over the coming weeks (months?) it's my intention to go farther and farther out, building DOPE and whatever, seeing what I can learn and do.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#19]
a friend of mine has that CMC 308 BCG, optimized for suppressor use.  But he only shoots un-suppressed.  I asked him why he bought it, he said, at the time, that was the only thing that was available, in stock, so not knowing any better.

Anyways, so he brings it to the range to dial in the SLR AGB.  Criterion 308 barrel.  un-suppressed.  Started off at 10 clicks (15 clicks is full open), no last-round-bolt-hold-open.  open it up one click at a time to 15 clicks, still no LRBHO.  I go to 16 clicks, and finally we get LRBHO.  With my Criterion AR-10 barrels, with SLR AGB, I'm usually in the middle of the adjustment range for un-suppressed use.

I think there's an internal restriction inside that bolt carrier, part of the design, optimized for suppressed use.  not optimized for un-suppressed use.

ETA:  either, there's a restriction in the gas key, on the inlet side of the carrier gas piston chamber of the bolt carrier so that only a reduced portion of the gas gets through,
or, the exhaust ports of the carrier gas piston chamber are timed early, "premature", or so huge that you have to flood it with gas before you get any cycling action (bolt unlocking, bolt movement).
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Good job on the build

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Update time. Kinda.

So far, only taken it out to 200yds. Results were consistent with what google searches tell me they should be. I.e. 147gr drops 4 inches with 100yd zero. Cool.

As for checking (rechecking) zero... It seems like I can't be consistent weekend to weekend. But I suspect it's me, being the very inexperienced shooter? Because I tightened the scope to the recommended 15 (18? whatever it said on google) in-lb and haven't treated anything harshly at all. I also suck too much to really evaluate accuracy, so far. (Although the sub moa group at 100 still happened). But taking out a folding table is kind of helping, I guess, so I'll keep at it. It's also always windy where I am, and I don't know how to gage or account for wind, whatever that means at 200yd.

Also, thus far, I've hardly had a chance to evaluate the bolt catch, but it's worked a couple times, and always works when racking, for whatever that's worth.

Also, also, my suppressor still won't be here probably for another 4 weeks, I'm guessing. Land of the free.

I need to get myself a 16" gong...
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 2:00:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Tangent, but I also wonder if I should have gotten a SCS instead of the spike's heavy buffer. Because that JP is just so damn smooth when I charge and press check and all that... Does it make a difference shooting? Would it with a 308? No idea. Thus, I wonder...
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Update time. Kinda.

So far, only taken it out to 200yds. Results were consistent with what google searches tell me they should be. I.e. 147gr drops 4 inches with 100yd zero. Cool.

As for checking (rechecking) zero... It seems like I can't be consistent weekend to weekend. But I suspect it's me, being the very inexperienced shooter? Because I tightened the scope to the recommended 15 (18? whatever it said on google) in-lb and haven't treated anything harshly at all. I also suck too much to really evaluate accuracy, so far. (Although the sub moa group at 100 still happened). But taking out a folding table is kind of helping, I guess, so I'll keep at it. It's also always windy where I am, and I don't know how to gage or account for wind, whatever that means at 200yd.

Also, thus far, I've hardly had a chance to evaluate the bolt catch, but it's worked a couple times, and always works when racking, for whatever that's worth.

Also, also, my suppressor still won't be here probably for another 4 weeks, I'm guessing. Land of the free.

I need to get myself a 16" gong...
View Quote

Ball 147 crap should never be used in a precision build to evaluate accuracy/precision. If that’s what you used for getting your 3 shot group, it was likely luck more than anything. Use actual 168/175 match ammo and put together several 3+ 5 shot groups. Then you’ll start to see what you and the system can do.

If you’re just wanting a 1.5moa+ build to hit torso targets at 200yds, keep on keeping on with the 147’s.

Apologies in advance if I’m too obtuse; I’m just shocked by how often ppl use non match grade ammo and expect to get consistent performance.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ball 147 crap should never be used in a precision build to evaluate accuracy/precision. If that’s what you used for getting your 3 shot group, it was likely luck more than anything. Use actual 168/175 match ammo and put together several 3+ 5 shot groups. Then you’ll start to see what you and the system can do.

If you’re just wanting a 1.5moa+ build to hit torso targets at 200yds, keep on keeping on with the 147’s.

Apologies in advance if I’m too obtuse; I’m just shocked by how often ppl use non match grade ammo and expect to get consistent performance.
View Quote

Probably not wrong, but I have seen Norma (the brand I have) yielding exceptional results. I think it was the MAC youtube channel who first made me aware, and I love Norma's other stuff (.223 and 9mm).

That said, really, I am mostly about hitting torso-ish targets at distance (greater than 200yd of course), rather than bulls-eye-ing things. But, yeah, like you point out, I was really wondering what my system could do as well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Probably not wrong, but I have seen Norma (the brand I have) yielding exceptional results. I think it was the MAC youtube channel who first made me aware, and I love Norma's other stuff (.223 and 9mm).
View Quote

I’d forgotten about the Norma 147fmj. The Norma stuff appears to be decent, but it’s not match ammo. The PoI seemed to wander among 3 shot groups in his test. Take 1 shot from either of his targets and place it in another group and the results wouldn’t be nearly as good. With the rifle used in his test, he should be able to get groups closer to half moa consistently with match ammo, and never over 1moa.

Try some FGMM 168/175’s if you’re looking to try and get the most out of the system, but the Norma stuff would probably meet your needs within a few hundred yards.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#27]
ah, yes, i hear nothing but raving about that ammo.

i want to ultimately hit a 16" steel at 1000yds. (long term goal.) right now, just trying to get better at distance shooting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#28]
400 yards? pretty easy! then i ran out of room... next time...
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#29]
700 yards!

This distance shooting is kinda fun...
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#30]
800, with rather inconsistent ammo I'll be replacing.

I think I'm officially addicted...
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 2:31:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Shit, I'm already planning a bigass high precision bolt gun...
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:02:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Shit, I'm already planning a bigass high precision bolt gun...
View Quote

here's a good scope on BF sale:
https://www.eurooptic.com/Athlon-Cronus-BTR-GEN2-45-29x56mm-APRS1-FFP-IR-MIL-Riflescope-210114.aspx
ETA:  Made In Japan
ETA2:  sorry, i see they're out-of-stock now.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#34]
not bad...

i do already have a 5-25 that should do.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top