Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2022 4:00:13 PM EDT
Howdy folks,

Building an 11.5 SBR and I’ve already got a lower. Just looking for advice on which upper however.

https://danieldefense.com/ddm4-v7s-upper-receiver-group.html

https://geissele.com/super-duty-complete-upper-11-5-5-56mm-black.html

End use is suppressed SBR. Opinions?
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Howdy folks,

Building an 11.5 SBR and I’ve already got a lower. Just looking for advice on which upper however.

View Quote

$1200 for just the upper ?
I would assemble it myself, with 1st tier parts. you could take a bite out of an optic with whats left.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed. You could build a badass upper for much less than that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt 6933EPR 11.5" can be had sub 9 hundo if you're not up for assembling.

Just saying......
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just saying......
View Quote

Get some G HRT rail hotness for it, and flip the Colt rail on the EE...

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve put together a list of nice parts, Criterion barrel, DD bolt, G rail, adjustable gas block. Comes in $100-200 less than the pre.

Not opposed to building. Done a couple and all turned out pretty good. I’ve just heard great things about G and DD. So I figured I’d ask.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an 11.5 along with 4 other DD rifles. Solid equipment.

The DD will be lighter because of the MFR rail, and their barrels are fantastic.

However, Geissele is a solid choice as well. Especially if it comes with a Surefire muzzle device or you like their colour options.

If I were in the market for anouther AR15 rifle, a DDC Super duty would be at the top of my list.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Skip the super dookie
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Skip the super dookie
View Quote

Posts like this aren’t helpful without some sort of explanation or reasoning. Why do you dislike the G?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
DD makes a damn fine barrel and rail.

G makes a damn fine barrel and rail.  If you buy a complete G SD upper or rifle you get a rail that's keyed to the upper, a forged bolt, an updated cam pin made from H13, a carrier with lengthened bearing surfaces, a SF FH, and an airborne charging handle. A G SD rifle gets you updated an LPK made out of SS, a special trigger, improved recoil spring, and a buffer tube with extra drain holes. Unfortunately they cheaper out with the endplate.

The DD rifle is mostly milspec with updated endplate, grip, and stock.  And I'm sure I'm missing some other things as I haven't handled one in quite a while.

IMO both are overpriced at their MSRP and at discounted prices the G has more features.

You have to do the math for yourself.

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 3:14:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Howdy folks,

View Quote

I would hold out for the new DD ris3 11.5 upper coming out (if you don’t want to save money by building)

I believe it will be labeled under the V7 series

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/01/19/shot-2022-risiii-rail-ambi-lowers-daniel-defense/
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

G makes a damn fine barrel and rail.  If you buy a complete G SD upper or rifle you get a rail that's keyed to the upper, a forged bolt, an updated cam pin made from H13, a carrier with lengthened bearing surfaces, a SF FH, and an airborne charging handle. A G SD rifle gets you updated an LPK made out of SS, a special trigger, improved recoil spring, and a buffer tube with extra drain holes. Unfortunately they cheaper out with the endplate.

The DD rifle is mostly milspec with updated endplate, grip, and stock.  And I'm sure I'm missing some other things as I haven't handled one in quite a while.

IMO both are overpriced at their MSRP and at discounted prices the G has more features.

View Quote

Don’t forget with the G you get the ssa-e trigger instead of the milspec in the DD. That’s a $240.00 upgrade right there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually with a G super duty rifle you get the special SSA-e X bow.   That's the only way you get that trigger.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just saying......
View Quote
I really like the 6933 EPR. I've been waiting almost a year for it
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Actually with a G super duty rifle you get the special SSA-e X bow.   That's the only way you get that trigger.
View Quote
What's different on the X bow?

I'm not real fond of G's black oxide debacle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#16]
If you look at the tan rifle on G's website you can see it.

the trigger bow is not quite flat with a slight radius and a bit further reach.  It's an excellent trigger.  IMO a touch better than an SSa-E and the best non adjustable trigger I've tried. To me it an enthusiast's trigger, a touch light for "duty" work.  The heavier SSA seems better suited to "duty" work.  

my ONLY complaint with the SD rifle is the mil spec endplate.  A rifle in this price range should have some sort of QD endplate.

I do think the 5 axis trigger guard is a bit much and the regular super duty trigger guard would have been just dandy. The included grip and stock aren't my cup of tea, but those things are personal preference
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#17]
The rifle looks nice, but "durable black oxide" is a joke when you're coating everything else with fancy DLC/nanoweapon coatings.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The rifle looks nice, but "durable black oxide" is a joke when you're coating everything else with fancy DLC/nanoweapon coatings.
View Quote
Definitely no argument from me on that.  I think the black oxide thing is a touch over blown and could have been handled better.  

I do think G SD rifles are overpriced at MSRP.  But I think most higher end AR's are as well.

if I could spec my "unicorn" AR it would look A LOT like a 14"5 G SD rifle with a KAC E3 bolt and KAC MOD 2 Gas system.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What's different on the X bow?

I'm not real fond of G's black oxide debacle.
View Quote

The x bow is in between a mil spec curved trigger and a flat trigger.

G has switched back to mag phos for barrels. No more black oxide, so don’t worry about that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The x bow is in between a mil spec curved trigger and a flat trigger.

G has switched back to mag phos for barrels. No more black oxide, so don't worry about that.
View Quote
They should update their page to reflect that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Not sure how long the LaRue backlog is, if any, but their 16” 5.56mm UU kit for $750 is pretty awesomely priced and members here have posted some outstanding groups through them.  I just got one of their $300 Accuracy packages (MBT-2S & 16” Stealth) and cant wait to get it out to the range... it showed up like 2-3 days after ordering.

Personally, I’d get the DD over the Super Duty because when it comes to chrome lined barrels DD and Criterion have a rich history of being at the top of the heap.

DD uppers are semi-regularly on sale a handful of places <$1000
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not sure how long the LaRue backlog is, if any, but their 16” 5.56mm UU kit for $750 is pretty awesomely priced and members here have posted some outstanding groups through them.  I just got one of their $300 Accuracy packages (MBT-2S & 16” Stealth) and cant wait to get it out to the range... it showed up like 2-3 days after ordering.

Personally, I’d get the DD over the Super Duty because when it comes to chrome lined barrels DD and Criterion have a rich history of being at the top of the heap.

DD uppers are semi-regularly on sale a handful of places <$1000
View Quote

As the owner of a 12.5 Larue UU kit, they are wildly overgassed. An adjustable gas block was mandatory to get mine to even function with a suppressor on. Figured this might be relevant since OP is looking for a suppressed SBR. FWIW, I still like the Larue and it is very accurate.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I have no idea what size the gas port is on my 14.5 stealth, but I run a sprinco blue and H2 unsuppressed and I could probably go heavier.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As the owner of a 12.5 Larue UU kit, they are wildly overgassed. An adjustable gas block was mandatory to get mine to even function with a suppressor on. Figured this might be relevant since OP is looking for a suppressed SBR. FWIW, I still like the Larue and it is very accurate.
View Quote

I read that beforehand and used an Aero adjustable block on the build.  I re-dimpled it to fit normal gas block screw spacing, too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I read that beforehand and used an Aero adjustable block on the build.  I re-dimpled it to fit normal gas block screw spacing, too.
View Quote

I also used the Aero and am very pleased with it. My dimple spacing lined up, so I didn’t mess with anything beside the provided install instructions. I have mine tuned to run suppressor only (won’t cycle without it) and it’s a total pussy cat now.

Edit to add that I am using a YHM Turbo on it
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Go for the DD.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They should update their page to reflect that.
View Quote

If you look at the 10.3, 11.5 and 14.5 rifle/upper pages it states “mag phosphate coated”. The 16 still says black oxide.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ah, man.  I can take it
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Track down one of the Shot Show coupons for Geissele. They don’t expire until the 28th.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I would go BCM personally, I have a 16in and 12.5in from them and the fit and finish is just phenomenal, no play between upper and lower and they are both tack drivers. I think if you factor in cost BCM is pretty hard to beat

But since that isn’t what you asked, of the 2 you mention I would go DD all day long. I think the only downside is every DD I have shot seems to be pretty over gassed but I have only shot 2 of them. They where both very accurate and 100% reliable.

I think giessele is overhyped and overpriced, I just switched my 2 triggers from geissele to Larue, over half the cost and to my finger they feel better by a decent bit. I can shoot them more accurately and faster. With all the QC issues we have been seeing lately from geissele I don’t think I would ever by one. Anyway just my opinion
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would go BCM personally, I have a 16in and 12.5in from them and the fit and finish is just phenomenal, no play between upper and lower and they are both tack drivers. I think if you factor in cost BCM is pretty hard to beat

But since that isn’t what you asked, of the 2 you mention I would go DD all day long. I think the only downside is every DD I have shot seems to be pretty over gassed but I have only shot 2 of them. They where both very accurate and 100% reliable.

I think giessele is overhyped and overpriced, I just switched my 2 triggers from geissele to Larue, over half the cost and to my finger they feel better by a decent bit. I can shoot them more accurately and faster. With all the QC issues we have been seeing lately from geissele I don’t think I would ever by one. Anyway just my opinion
View Quote

So you’re afraid of Geissele’s QC but not BCM’s?

Yikes.

Everyone is cranking and everyone is having lemons slip through the door… it’s part of the risk of buying a gun in late-Covid / early WW3 2022. Welcome.

Gamble now and hope you don’t have to trust in QC, or wait for more salad days. Choose.

I just got a fresh super duty that shoots great and looks even better. Ymmv
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So you’re afraid of Geissele’s QC but not BCM’s?

Yikes.

Everyone is cranking and everyone is having lemons slip through the door… it’s part of the risk of buying a gun in late-Covid / early WW3 2022. Welcome.

Gamble now and hope you don’t have to trust in QC, or wait for more salad days. Choose.

I just got a fresh super duty that shoots great and looks even better. Ymmv
View Quote

Yeah, big yikes. At least geissele will make it right if they mess up. Bcm will say “you’re not a serious trigger puller”.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Thats a tough question, since they both won contracts to be used for todays military. I think they are equally good equipment, and if you could get one for less, or easier then thats the way to go. I personally have never had a complete build from DD… or Geissele for that matter, but I have used a lot of their parts in a lot of my builds. I cant say I like one more than the other, but I would go Geissele.

…Or you could put both in and go do the dirty with the perfect homo-geneous blend… I think kids these days call that a tossed salad

I have shot BCM a lot (actually have a complete by them), personally don’t have any issues with them either. But its not a DD or a G.

The beauty is, we can debate this all day, due to there being hundreds of options to pick and choose from. All in all, if its complete, well lubed, and it works. WGAF what brand it is?
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Whatever one has the smallest gas port (probably G)
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#35]
FWIW I bought a DD Factory SBR in 2015 and its been amazing. MK18, very happy, great with my RC. I need a PRI gas buster but otherwise great.

I bought another DD in 2021 and while it was nice it didn't feel special. It shoots fine, but I think the plastic port cover on the upper combined with the lower being one of their generic lowers made it feel less special.

I'm building an upper with the blend of the best parts (URG-I) and I think this will lead to my highest satisfaction; so that would be my suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File
I'd just build one. Like this
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I cant say enough good about my DD rifles, all are fantastic.  My DD MK18 SBR is off the chart good and reliable.  One of my favorite rifles.

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I've heard good things about both. I've put a 1000 rounds through my brothers Super Duty and I absolutely love that gun. But I plan on getting a DD upper soon so I'm on the fence about both, they both seem like great options.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Don’t forget with the G you get the ssa-e trigger instead of the milspec in the DD. That’s a $240.00 upgrade right there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When did upper receivers start coming with triggers?

He has the lower.  Stop discussing what flat or curved bow trigger is optional vs a DD single stage.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Wouldnt give geissele a penny for thier shitty uppers/barrels. Build it, or buy a colt and throw a g rail on it if you must have one (as thats really the only desirable part on that upper). The DD would be a fine choice as well, if a bit overgassed, and certainly overpriced.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Late on this post, but I recently bought a Geissele 11.5” upper…Labor Day sale for a grand. Also wanted to try their braided recoil spring. Ran it today on my Colt M16A2 kitted out with the Geissele SSF SOPMOD trigger and H3 buffer. Shooting Federal XM193, the thing ran like a top…chewing up 300 rounds semi and full-auto without a hiccup. I also like the braided recoil spring…no “SPROONG”.

Fit and finish on the upper is freaking beautiful. The nano coating on the BCG made cleaning a breeze. No accuracy testing, benched just enough to zero the Aimpoint T-1, besides this is no sniper rifle…it’s a full-auto range toy.

Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I haven't owned them all, but I've owned a few, and GSDs are the best rifles I've ever had.

Specifically comparing the 11.5 SD vs DD Mk18, the G is lighter (this due mostly to the rail), more accurate, better gassed, and has the superior REBCG.  I also like the rail being keyed to the upper so that it cannot possibly rotate.
I can't name a single metric in which the DD is superior.

And there is nothing wrong with the DD, it is a great milspec upper that I enjoy and shoot frequently, and trust to run very well.
But if I could only have one, it would be GSD.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Of the two you listed I would opt for the Daniel Defense.  They make outstanding barrels and have a track record of making outstanding products albeit a little on the pricey side and sometimes I think overpriced.  Still I would choose the DD if faced with the choices you listed.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top