Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2021 9:37:33 PM EDT
I'm looking for something with a more forgiving eye relief than an acog, maybe a better field of view as well. There are tons of LVPO's out there, but I only use the 6x on the ones I have now. I have been thinking maybe a elcan spector, it's shorter/compact I know it's rugged...  If it was lighter I think it'd fit the bill really well.  any better suggestions? thanks guys :)

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't go wrong with an Elcan- the 1.5/6x is much bigger than the 1/4x, though. You can save weight even further if you go with a SpecterOS with fixed 4x.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
SpecterOS with fixed 4x... That's perfect I just checked out the specs on it and it's exactly what I had in mind... THANK YOU !!!!  god I love this place :)
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Do be warned that the listed eye relief on the Elcan is a bit misleading. While it is technically correct, the scope physically doesn't extend as far back as the ACOG, meaning that for the purposes of head positioning the eye relief is only about a centimeter or so longer than the TA31's, i.e. approximately one rail slot. In addition the TA31 functionally has no minimum eye relief (i.e. you can get as close as you like and you'll only see a tinge of scope shadow) whereas getting too close to the Elcan will reduce your FoV. The longer technical eye relief does help for avoiding scope eye, though.

The Steiner S432 adds about another centimeter of eye relief, but it's very heavy as 4x fixed prisms go and the mount is a proprietary non-QD design. Not that the factory ARMS levers on the Elcan are exactly amazing, though they don't actually seem to give most people problems; still I'd recommend replacing them with the upgraded Mk2 levers.

Ultimately the best way to ensure proper eye relief is to move the scope backwards on your rail as appropriate for your head position, including taking off the rear BUIS to free up more rail space if needed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
You looking for a prism optic? A scope? Any preference on reticle? What weight are you looking to be under? Price cap?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:13:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I was considering the same setup - a fixed 4x or 6x but with an off-set T2.

I couldn't really find anything that fit the requirements of being lightweight, combat durable, and daylight bright.

The NF fixed 4.5x would be nice if it was illuminated.

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/competition/competition-sr-fixed-45x24
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the Elcan, but to me it shines most in the1/4 variant. It’s not that the fixed four is dumb, it’s just that if I were doing that I’d get an ACOG. Especially if valuing lightweight and compact. Those new 3X/5X PAs in the other thread look pretty tempting. I don’t need anything like that, if anything I have like two homeless ACOGs, but if I did I’d be looking at them hard.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I have owned the 3.5 ACOG (TA11) and the ELCAN OS4X and they are both outstanding optics....As far as clarity, it was a toss up for me.  I had to get rid of them, as I need an optic that has a diopter adjustment for my eyes....

Based on optical quality, you cant go wrong with either....BUT, the only issue I had was the ARMS mounting system that the ELCAN uses for the mount.   I do not like the AMRS system at all

I could never get the scope tight on the rail, tried all different rifles in my collection, KAC, DD, LMT, Larue and even purchased the ARMS upgraded levers....save your money.  The upgraded levers are very flimsy.

The ELCAN adjustmemt system is very unique, as you mechanically move the optic in the mount and not the internal reticle....I really like the scope, sans the mount but my eyes did not.

If I had to buy one again, I would go with the ACOG based on the mounting system alone

Trijicon makes a 6X ACOG but it is very big, I held one before and it is massive

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:56:47 AM EDT
[#8]
The upgraded ARMS levers fixed the issue of wobble. 5 minutes and about $20 of parts.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top