Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2018 12:04:18 AM EDT
I have a reloading press, and plan to make loads that my system likes.

Also, I plan to put an RDS on top of my scope. My rifle is a stag arms AR-15 with a 14.5" barrel, plus flash hider. It's wearing an atlas bipod. If I can't get good accuracy, I'm willing to change the barrel.

I'm a photographer that uses a Zeiss Otus lens - I'm very well aware of sharpness and longitudinal chromatic aberration. So, problems in those areas will bother me. But, my rifle is made to do everything (including *not* be bulky or too heavy); therefore, I don't want to spend an incredible amount on a scope. It's *just* a pretty basic AR that shoots wimpy 5.56.

Please suggest an FFP scope with parallax adjustment, and whatever other features you think I'd especially want. I'm not sure what magnification range will be best, but I'm thinking roughly 4-12. Lightweight is helpful, but not essential. Mil is essential, and zero stop is highly preferred.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#1]
4-12 with the glass and features you want is going to get pricy. Then add a red dot, even more. With a 16 inch carbine I’d get a nice 1-6 or 1-8 and call it a day.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
What budget? The features requested could get expensive like stated above. A budget would help narrow down options.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What budget? The features requested could get expensive like stated above. A budget would help narrow down options.
View Quote
Agreed. My recommendations would range from a Primary Arms 1-6x Raptor to a Primary Arms 1-8x Platinum.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Roughly 4-12, doesn't need to be precisely that. 3-9 is good too, for example. I definitely wouldn't want a solo 1-6, though. The tube is too long, eye relief too narrow - makes it bad for very short distance.

I didn't list a budget, because I expect that what I want doesn't exist for the amount I want to spend. So then, what's the cheapest I can get that has the features I want?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say minimum $500 on up. Primary Arms new 3-15 will have a mil reticle soon.  Sig Tango4. Vortex viper pst gen 2. Burris XTR. Leupold LRP.  Leupold Mark 5 just to make a few possible options.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Agreed. My recommendations would range from a Primary Arms 1-6x Raptor to a Primary Arms 1-8x Platinum.
View Quote
These are solid choices right here! The 1-6x FFP is $400ish and the 1-8x Platinum is $1200ish. I don't think there is anything else that compares in these price ranges. Of course this isn't going to meet the OP's request for a 4x12 though.

Rudy
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would say minimum $500 on up. Primary Arms new 3-15 will have a mil reticle soon.  Sig Tango4. Vortex viper pst gen 2. Burris XTR. Leupold LRP.  Leupold Mark 5 just to make a few possible options.
View Quote
Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top