Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2020 11:43:41 PM EDT
As soon as I have my LaRue lower in hand, I am going to order the Ultimate Upper Kit.

This will be my one and only premium rifle in .556 for the rest of my life.

Scope will be a Trijicon Credo 2-10x36, Warne one piece mount.

I will be shooting this rifle out to 300 yards, and maybe once or twice a year out to 500 yards target shooting.  I will also use this rifle for coyote hunting, an all round rifle, and I guess the Boogaloo if and when .

Would you get a 16” or 18” barrel?

Please tell me why you picked the 16” or the 18”.

I have one chance at this, and I want to get it right.  I have wanted to do this for about 10 years.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine is an 18" kit i ordered it the other way around.....UU kit first then i got my Larue Lower....in master race FDE of course, running a 4-16x 44 vortex Viper HST in a Larue mount its a beautiful SPR type rifle.

My vote is 18" for an SPR
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The Larue 14.5, 16, and 18 all have mid gas. 16 and 18 inches are inconsequential. I would be asking myself, “ do I want 16 or 20?”. That’s a greater difference. Mid gas vs rifle gas and a greater difference in velocity.
If this is going to be your boog rifle, then I would do 16 for the versatility.
Either way you go, I think you’ll really like the rifle. You really can’t go wrong with either barrel you chose.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 556_Chowder:
The Larue 14.5, 16, and 18 all have mid gas. 16 and 18 inches are inconsequential. I would be asking myself, “ do I want 16 or 20?”. That’s a greater difference. Mid gas vs rifle gas and a greater difference in velocity. 
If this is going to be your boog rifle, then I would do 16 for the versatility. 
Either way you go, I think you’ll really like the rifle. You really can’t go wrong with either barrel you chose.
View Quote

biggest difference is optics and how you set the rifle up IMO
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 2:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Id go with the 16" less weight , easier to maneuver and just better all around for a do it all rifle. It'll still easily hit targets at 500 yards
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#5]
16” in either barrel profile. My 18” Stealth is a superbly accurate rifle but she’s a heavy girl.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry op, but you buy the upper first and then you get to buy the lower. I have the 12" Stealth barrel and it is a tack driver.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#7]
18 is what I bought.  No regerts.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cmc201:
Sorry op, but you buy the upper first and then you get to buy the lower. I have the 12" Stealth barrel and it is a tack driver.
View Quote

Right now, LaRue is selling lowers.  He said he can make 40 a day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for your responses.

I will have to make a decision soon, my lower should be on the way to my FFL.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Love my 16” Larue Stealth barrel. No need for an 18”.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#11]
For the distance you listed, 16”. That might be a lot of scope for 300 yards, but that’s your preference.

I‘ve done iron sights on a 16” Larue with basic 55gr ball ammo at 600 yards, OP. Am I good enough to stay on target that far? NOPE! But the rifle certainly was.

You’d be surprised what it’s capable of.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#12]
16" PredatAR barrel is a solid choice
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I take my 16” to 700 on full size IPSCs on a regular basis.  Velocity won’t be too big of a difference between the 16 or the 18.   If I were to suggest something different from what you have listed it would be a 3-15/18 optic.  For not too much more size or weight, you can get more magnification.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#14]
UPDATE:

Thanks for all the replies.

I received my lower today.  This is the first LaRue I have ever seen or had my hands on.

I ordered the UU with 16” Stealth barrel and a 13” hand guard.

I went to the industry forum to get an idea about wait times, but it seems to very.

I’ll report back after my first time out with my TX made rifle.

What does LARUEMINATI mean?  I mean if someone ask me, I have know... right?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By livinfree:
UPDATE:

Thanks for all the replies.

I received my lower today.  This is the first LaRue I have ever seen or had my hands on. 

I ordered the UU with 16” Stealth barrel and a 13” hand guard.

I went to the industry forum to get an idea about wait times, but it seems to very.

I’ll report back after my first time out with my TX made rifle.

What does LARUEMINATI mean?  I mean if someone ask me, I have know... right?
View Quote

Its a secret that isn't that secret, but there is a secret handshake of sorts.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a Larue Stealth 18" barrel years ago, its a little heavy. I had a 16" CMMG wearing a Aimpoint so I wanted an 18" for my Larue. I finally get to mate my Larue with a lower coming on Thursday. My stealth will wear a Steiner 1-4. If you don't have a 16" go with that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I went 18" cause I didn't have one. The stealth is portly, but I built the rifle for poking holes in paper off a bench, not lugging around.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By livinfree:
UPDATE:

Thanks for all the replies.

I received my lower today.  This is the first LaRue I have ever seen or had my hands on. 

I ordered the UU with 16” Stealth barrel and a 13” hand guard.

I went to the industry forum to get an idea about wait times, but it seems to very.

I’ll report back after my first time out with my TX made rifle.

What does LARUEMINATI mean?  I mean if someone ask me, I have know... right?
View Quote

It took about a week and a half for me to get mine. I would probably add a few days to that considering circumstances.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top