Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/5/2018 2:29:40 PM EDT
I just picked up a Maten lower pretty cheap. Which stripped uppers will fit it properly? Maten stripped uppers are not easy to find.

Hope I didn't buy a well machined paperweight.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you did.

I used the MEGA Maten combo for an AR10 long barreled rifle. I figured I'd build a short one for hog hunting later, and just swap uppers as needed - never gonna use them at the same time, you know.

Then MEGA went out of business, and the supply of Matens has mostly dried up.

Today I have given up, and I'm gonna by a thumper upper of some sort for my AR15, leaning towards .458 SOCOM right now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
rainier arms website shows keymod uppers in stock
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Zev. Same exact uppers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zev. Same exact uppers.
View Quote
Yep, just has a bunch of decorative lightening cuts all over.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Zev is the same?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Zev is the same?
View Quote
Zev bought Mega. Only the rollmark on the lower changed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Zev is the same?
View Quote
Made on the same machines, in the same place, by mostly the same people.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah, I saw those, but really don't like keymod. It reminds me of cheap metal shelving every time I see it on a gun.

Quoted:
Zev. Same exact uppers.
I can't find any stripped uppers, only completed ones by Zev. Does anyone sell them?

At least it was cheap enough that I should be able to get my money back on Gun Broker. I should have just bought a 2A Xanthos set like I was planning on.

ETA: Thanks for all the replies so far. I just emailed Zev about large frame stripped uppers and will report back when they reply.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I just spoke with someone at Zev. As of now the large frame uppers are only available stripped as a set with a lower. They also sell complete uppers. I asked if he knew of plans to sell stripped uppers individually and he didn't, but they're currently cranking out as many as possible so it's possible they will when they're caught up. I asked him to pass on the word that people are asking for them. So @Spearweasel maybe you'll get another upper for your rifle and I didn't buy a $150 paperweight unless I live with keymod. It might not hurt if others ask about stripped uppers too.

Disclaimer: the connection was awful and I could barely hear him.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#10]

I picked up an upper for like $250 when brownells was blowing them out.  Glad I did.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Any SR25 pattern upper or Armalite AR10A will fit and work.  AR10B will fit but requires modifications to work with the SR25 mags.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any SR25 pattern upper or Armalite AR10A will fit and work.  AR10B will fit but requires modifications to work with the SR25 mags.
View Quote
Almost correct. Some use different diameter take down and pivot pins. But, thats an easy fix for the most part.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Almost correct. Some use different diameter take down and pivot pins. But, thats an easy fix for the most part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, completely correct.  POF uses a different diameter of pins, and they're not SR25 pattern.  All SR25 pattern uppers as well as Armalites AR10A/B uppers use the same diameter pins.

POF uppers are closest to LR308 pattern with the exception of their takedown and pivot pins.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, completely correct.  POF uses a different diameter of pins, and they're not SR25 pattern.  All SR25 pattern uppers as well as Armalites AR10A/B uppers use the same diameter pins.

POF uppers are closest to LR308 pattern with the exception of their takedown and pivot pins.
View Quote
Not the Stag-10, Mega Maten, are very close and will work, same with the others. They are slightly different, with Armalite being on the looser side of them except Stag-10. Stag uses pins the exact same size as the Armalite holes, wont work without reaming the holes on the Armalite.

Im only talking cunt hair differences, and from everything Ive tried, they will all work excep the Stag-10, Stag lower with Armalite upper, Armalite upper needs from lug hole reamed just a tad. Like half a cunt hiar.

Ive personally tried Mega and it worked, only Mega lower and Armalite upper, I did not try other way around, but imagine its the same. Was a good fit I think too. Ive also tried a stripped KAC upper on my older Armalite lower. Pinned fine.

Im just saying theyre not exactly the same, but will work. So, you were 95% correct, hows that?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 4:02:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not 100% sure, but the V7 Harbinger appears to fit, and V7 does sell the stripper upper by itself. I do know that folks have ran LMT MWS uppers on MATEN lowers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Genesis CNC
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Sent you a PM
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a maten mml upper if you are interested.

Its the rifle length
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not the Stag-10, Mega Maten, are very close and will work, same with the others. They are slightly different, with Armalite being on the looser side of them except Stag-10. Stag uses pins the exact same size as the Armalite holes, wont work without reaming the holes on the Armalite.

Im only talking cunt hair differences, and from everything Ive tried, they will all work excep the Stag-10, Stag lower with Armalite upper, Armalite upper needs from lug hole reamed just a tad. Like half a cunt hiar.

Ive personally tried Mega and it worked, only Mega lower and Armalite upper, I did not try other way around, but imagine its the same. Was a good fit I think too. Ive also tried a stripped KAC upper on my older Armalite lower. Pinned fine.

Im just saying theyre not exactly the same, but will work. So, you were 95% correct, hows that?
View Quote
Is it safe to assume a Stag 10 upper would work on a Maten lower? I'm a lefty and am looking to put together a fully ambidextrous 308 that ejects to the left.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is it safe to assume a Stag 10 upper would work on a Maten lower? I'm a lefty and am looking to put together a fully ambidextrous 308 that ejects to the left.
View Quote
I wouldn't assume any part from another large frame would fit any other large frame except the ones from the same maker.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Following this thread since I built a mega Maten .308 with a matched set receiver. Of course now I have BRD after seeing my cousins 6.5 setup and want to build a 6.5 upper.

The responses have been a little confusing to follow.

Can someone or everyone list upper receivers that are known to work?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Just watch the EE or GB and a proper one will come up.

Patience.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Following this thread since I built a mega Maten .308 with a matched set receiver. Of course now I have BRD after seeing my cousins 6.5 setup and want to build a 6.5 upper.

The responses have been a little confusing to follow.

Can someone or everyone list upper receivers that are known to work?

Thanks
View Quote
Try posting a wanted to buy ad in the EE. Two Arfcomers PM'ed me with uppers they wanted to sell because of this thread. I opted to sell the lower and plan to buy a 2A Xanthos set instead.

I did contact Zev about selling a stripped upper and it seems like they only are willing to sell complete uppers for the large frame at this time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#24]
So has anyone actually put another brand’s upper on a mega lower?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Bump because I'm also interested. Anyone done it?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm not 100% sure, but the V7 Harbinger appears to fit, and V7 does sell the stripper upper by itself. I do know that folks have ran LMT MWS uppers on MATEN lowers.
View Quote
I think you could but the V seven recievers are super tight with each other and I started to attempt to see if they would go together... but stopped when I felt I would need to use a rupper mallet to seat the upper

I think they would if they were used a bit.

to be fair at the moment after about 8 months of being used the Harbinger still takes a pin punch to take it apart... like I said it is super tight. My buddy who owns it is one of those guys that cleans every trip even if it is 20-30 rounds, so it has been field stripped probably 20-30 times
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Hopefully your lower is actually made to the correct dimensions for the bolt catch to work.  Mine wasn't.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#29]
OLder thread I know, But if the concensus is that KAC SR25 pattern uppers will work on the mega lower, then another option out there is Centurion Arms now has SR patter Uppers and lowers
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#30]
JSE Surplus has Maten uppers in stock.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I also figured out that the v seven Harbinger upper fits the MATEN, the MATEN upper and Harbinger lower would need a minute amount of work, but I think it is more to do with the way the Harbinger take down puns are made.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Double tap
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#34]
That looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Double tap
View Quote
Show the other side.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Show the other side.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#37]
That’s really a very good match. Looks nice!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd search www.jsesurplus.com for a MEGA upper.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That’s really a very good match. Looks nice!
View Quote
I agree it does look pretty good
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#40]
That is good looking. I didnt know Centurion was offering some as well, those also look nice.

Everything cycle ok? Have you shot the V7 upper on the Mega lower yet?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey I found a place that has the Mega Maten stripped upper but it will include the lower receiver. It's not bad for $379. Just keep the lower for a spare. If you are military or first responder, they take $20 off with discount code THANKYOU.

http://midwestpx.com/mega-arms-maten-308-ar-receiver-set.html

I just picked one up. They have 4 left.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#42]
They are down to 3 now. They posted it this morning and a ton of them sold quick.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hey I found a place that has the Mega Maten stripped upper but it will include the lower receiver. It's not bad for $379. Just keep the lower for a spare. If you are military or first responder, they take $20 off with discount code THANKYOU.

http://midwestpx.com/mega-arms-maten-308-ar-receiver-set.html

I just picked one up. They have 4 left.
View Quote
That's a great deal! I'd be all over it, but I sold the Maten lower and bought a 2A Xanthos set instead.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Good info for Maten owners. That matches nicely.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That is good looking. I didnt know Centurion was offering some as well, those also look nice.

Everything cycle ok? Have you shot the V7 upper on the Mega lower yet?
View Quote
I have not
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top