Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2020 5:13:03 PM EDT
I am looking in purchasing a "cheap" lower for a build.  The three choices that I have are: Franklin Armory, Anderson, and American Tactical Imports (Milsport).  I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on which is the best.  Also, is there really any difference between these cheap lowers and a higher priced one such as Spikes, Aero, etc.?  Just for information, the prices range between $37 for the Anderson and $55 for the Franklin Armory.  Is there any other "cheap" brands that I should look into purchasing instead of the three that I mentioned above?  Thanks for any and all comments.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I built up an Anderson stripped lower and haven't had any problems with it.  Palmetto State Armory also makes good lowers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never heard of American Tactical. Anderson seems well liked here. I have handled one, but not built one. It seemed fine, especially for the price. The finish wasn't that nice though.

Palmetto would probably be my choice for budget, but I would get a no-logo lower. Aero's can be had for about $60 online, but only shops I could find to order me one without transfer fee was around $75-80, which would buy you 2 Anderson's!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Tons of builds out there on Andersons; but why not spend a little more for an Aero?  I got my last gen 2 for $70 including transfer fee.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
which low budget lowers have a low shelf and are made to spec
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
PSA have been excellent for me for 100% FFL item AR-15 stripped lowers.  Sometimes you can get them for as cheap as $40 when they are on sale.  I consider them better then Anderson.

For 80% non-FFL AR-15 lowers so far Ceratac is my preference because there's are made from the harder grade of aluminum.  Take more time to mill out and more likely to blow up the mill bit if you try to take too deep of passes or try to use too fast of a feed speed.  But I like having the better grade of aluminum and the price is still cheap compared to competing options and I haven't seen any real problems in their lowers as far as being out of spec.

I have seen some complaints online about Anderson lowers sometimes being slightly out of spec.  But so far I have not witnessed that myself.  I do have a couple lowers that I believe are made by Anderson.  A local chain of ranch supply stores sold lowers a while back that had their brand name on them.  Although I cannot prove it the packaging was identical to Anderson packaging just with their logo and name replacing where the Anderson name normally would be and their name and logo where the Anderson name and logo normally is on the lower and the serial number in exactly the same spot and font style as on Anderson lowers.  So I think they must have contracted with Anderson to do a store branded batch for them.  I got a couple of those and no problems with them for me so far and they seem to be in spec.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am looking in purchasing a "cheap" lower for a build.  The three choices that I have are: Franklin Armory, Anderson, and American Tactical Imports (Milsport).  I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on which is the best.  Also, is there really any difference between these cheap lowers and a higher priced one such as Spikes, Aero, etc.?  Just for information, the prices range between $37 for the Anderson and $55 for the Franklin Armory.  Is there any other "cheap" brands that I should look into purchasing instead of the three that I mentioned above?  Thanks for any and all comments.
View Quote
If you just need something that works then it doesn't matter which lower you buy.  If it's aluminum and in spec then it's all the same shit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm just starting an AR build myself (my first) and chose an Anderson, partially for the price, partially for the quality, and partially because I could order it from Cabela's and pick it up at the local store, which is about 2 miles from my house. Cabela's is only about $10 more than the lowest online price I've seen and I save the cost of FFL fees, so I figure I'm coming out about $10 ahead. That's likely the extent of the parts I'll get at Cabela's.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 5 Anderson's(amongst others) and they have all been GTG. Everything installed correctly and they work. What else can you ask for.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I've pieced together 14 Andersons now, zero issues.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Both Anderson & Aero do, I prefer Aero.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer Aero, but did buy a PSA on sale for $40 and while it works perfectly, the annodizing was crap.  Had to paint it.  The finish on Anderson's is a bit odd as well, at least on the one I handled at the local toy store.  They all work if in spec.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't believe I have ever visited a Franklin Armory or a American Tactical Imports (Milsport) website. So I have no opinion on them. I have built "more than one" Anderson lower. I think highly of them.

PSA is worth a look. I have never used one but as an inexpensive alternative they are routinely recommended here.

As to whether other brands like Spikes or Aero are better, that is hard to say.

It is likely you will find Aero and Anderson in stock locally. They are everywhere. That could save some money on shipping and transfer fees.

Good luck with your choice, purchase and build.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have built on spikes many times. I built one on an anderson and building one on a psa currently. The anderson was fine, but I think I like the psa better for fit and finish.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#14]
You can easily get other options at that price.

ATI has been around for a while. I’d suggest Aero to start with. They used to make lowers for Spike’s and a few others. (They maybe still do, haven’t been tracking it )  Do your research if you’re worried. But an extra $20 on a lower receiver is not going to break your project, particularly if you factor in avoiding rework.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#15]
So are a lot of you'll saying it may be money well spent moving up to Aero Precision at $72 because of a better finish than the Anderson at $37?  I don't know if Anderson makes their own receivers or not but I was thinking that there are only four manufacturers of receivers and I can't image them going to the trouble of not polishing this one because it is going to be sold as a Anderson but these need a extra nice finish because they are going to be sold as Colts, Spikes, Smith & Wesson, etc.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Huh?

Aero at $50-60. Watch for sales. Could do for less if you’re patient and watchful.
PSA $40 routinely.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I know a guy who bought a pile of Aero lowers.

They look nice. Think they were $50 at the time
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tons of builds out there on Andersons; but why not spend a little more for an Aero?  I got my last gen 2 for $70 including transfer fee.
View Quote
Same here, get the Aero's on sale for $70ish
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Aero Precision
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So are a lot of you'll saying it may be money well spent moving up to Aero Precision at $72 because of a better finish than the Anderson at $37?  I don't know if Anderson makes their own receivers or not but I was thinking that there are only four manufacturers of receivers and I can't image them going to the trouble of not polishing this one because it is going to be sold as a Anderson but these need a extra nice finish because they are going to be sold as Colts, Spikes, Smith & Wesson, etc.
View Quote
Aero with integrated trigger guard, bolt catch grub screw instead of roll pin, and whatever they call the little set screw to reduce wobble with the upper receiver?

Don't care about the screw vs roll pin myself, but trigger guard is nice and worth a few extra bucks to me.

Anderson, PSA, Spikes, Aero, they're all good. Aero is my current go-to due to reasons above.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Far more than 4 making lower receivers.

Aeros for ~$50 are commonplace.

Personally,  I miss the Anderson 3 packs for $99 shipped.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#22]
My cheapest and second oldest lower is from Anderson. It sits next to my DD and KAC lowers. Other than features....it’s been just as good.

I have the most Aero lowers though. They have great fit and finish for the money.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Personally,  I miss the Anderson 3 packs for $99 shipped.  
View Quote
PA has sales on Anderson for $29.95 every once in a while, limit 5 usually.  If not on their mailing list you might wanna.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Of the cheap ones. I always use Palmetto State, if I want to build something just a little bit nicer for just a little bit more money. I use Spikes. This one saves the hassle of the trigger Guard too.

Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:21:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I just haven't seen any Aeros for $50.  Can someone suggest where they have found them at so that I can be on the lookout.  I just found a local pawn shop that has them for $72 and thought that was a pretty good price especially with no transfer fee or shipping.  It's not something I feel I need to buy before the weekend so I may look around.  I was originally thinking about the Anderson that the same pawn shop has for $37 (thought this was a great price with no transfer fee or shipping) but looking at the above comments, I may entertain the Aero instead.  Decisions..decisions....decisions.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I’ll say it plainly. No, the others aren’t worth it. Buy the Anderson for 37 bucks.

If you can afford the Aero, buy two Anderson’s because Commies gonna Commie, and then everyone will be out of stock for two years (like in 2008, 2012, and after every shooting/media circus since Columbine).

And....[the following isn’t directed at the OP, but many seem to fixate on shit like this.]

If you think you have to have low shelf because DIAS, or Big Igloo, or whatever other retard Felony Fantasy you are high on, you shouldn’t buy any gun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:20:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Anderson's work just fine, I have built several of them and they are all in spec and go bang  If you want to spend more money, do it on the LPK and furniture kit,   Anderson also makes lowers with the solid trigger guard as well, but an in spec lower is an in spec lower, I have a couple of Anderson's sitting here right now, that the finish on is very nice, clean no blemishes.

If you want to spend more money for bragging rights, then go for it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#28]
AIM has Anderson no logos for $40.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Which ever one you can stack the deepest in your safe.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Which ever one you can stack the deepest in your safe.
View Quote
Great advice! Go with a known manufacturer. Hard to beat PSA on sale and the Anderson "poverty pony" lowers.

Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Anderson, Aero, Spikes, PSA - all haven't figured out how to properly cut a fire control pocket.

ABC, BCI, SOLGW, ADM, DSA, Geissele or Centurion for me...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2296049_ABC-lowers-look-really-nice-Great-price-too-.html
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've pieced together 14 Andersons now, zero issues.
View Quote
Poverty pony is best pony!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#33]
PSA.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Anderson, Aero, Spikes, PSA - all haven't figured out how to properly cut a fire control pocket.

ABC, BCI, SOLGW, ADM, DSA, Geissele or Centurion for me...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2296049_ABC-lowers-look-really-nice-Great-price-too-.html
View Quote
Meh, I have had no problems.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Another vote for Anderson
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Where does he get those wonderful stickers?

ETA: OOS. any other source?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Palmetto State Armory
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Meh, I have had no problems.
View Quote
That's because you aren't prepping properly for the big igloo...
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just haven't seen any Aeros for $50.  Can someone suggest where they have found them at so that I can be on the lookout.  I just found a local pawn shop that has them for $72 and thought that was a pretty good price especially with no transfer fee or shipping.  It's not something I feel I need to buy before the weekend so I may look around.  I was originally thinking about the Anderson that the same pawn shop has for $37 (thought this was a great price with no transfer fee or shipping) but looking at the above comments, I may entertain the Aero instead.  Decisions..decisions....decisions.
View Quote
$50
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

$50
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Of the cheap ones. I always use Palmetto State, if I want to build something just a little bit nicer for just a little bit more money. I use Spikes. This one saves the hassle of the trigger Guard too.

https://i.imgur.com/tvKA4ua.jpg
View Quote
Great Now I want one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:23:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's because you aren't prepping properly for the big igloo...
View Quote
Well, duh.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:35:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

$50
View Quote
Plus shipping. Plus FFL fees. Easier and probably cheaper to buy the local one for $72.

Or two Andersons.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Plus shipping. Plus FFL fees. Easier and probably cheaper to buy the local one for $72.

Or two Andersons.
View Quote
Yes I agree. I have never bought a lower online B/C the shipping transfer fees make it more expensive than buying local.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes I agree. I have never bought a lower online B/C the shipping transfer fees make it more expensive than buying local.
View Quote
This is always a factor.  If you have enough licensees so you can shop around it helps.  I am fortunate that my guy charges $15 for the first and $5 for each additional firearm per session.  There are some guys in the area that charge as much as $40 a pop.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#49]
For $37 and no shipping or transfer fees, get the Anderson. Put the money you save towards more important stuff like a better barrel, trigger, or optics.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is always a factor.  If you have enough licensees so you can shop around it helps.  I am fortunate that my guy charges $15 for the first and $5 for each additional firearm per session.  There are some guys in the area that charge as much as $40 a pop.
View Quote
I pay $15 for as many as will fit on a 4473.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top