Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2021 9:02:57 PM EDT
Hello all, long time lurker of the forum, finally decided to join up.

Have a problem/question I'm hoping you folks can assist me with. Did some searching and can't seem to find an answer.

At the moment between 3 rifles I have 2 weapon lights. A Streamlight TLR-1 HL and a Streamlight TLR RM2.

Originally the TLR-1 was for my Henry Big Boy X and the RM 2 was/is mounted via a Haley Strategic Thorntail pic mount on my Springfield Saint (had to push it forward of the FSB).

The other day I noticed the RM2 was a bit dimmer then usual. I figured it was due to a low battery so I swapped em for fresh ones (Streamlight CR123s). Despite new batteries I still feel its dimmer then usual. Infact side by side its dimmer then the TLR-1. Anyone else experienced this? As far as I can tell it doesn't have a high/low output mode. And the lens is far enough from the muzzle that it isn't clouded up. Any advice?

Also, I've recently put together a BCM 16in carbine. And the parts I've selected have purposely been "high end" "USA" made parts. For the time being a have the TLR-1 mounted at 6 o'clock but am researching a light for this rifle specifically. Other than the above mentioned issue I've had good experiences with Streamlight but am debating converting to a Surefire Scout/Cloud defensive rein or a Cloud defensive owl. Thoughts?

Primary use for these rifles are Home/Property maintenance and range/Training use. Any thoughts opinions welcome!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you still have the tailcap? Maybe the switch has gone bad. I have heard that is more common with Streamlights. If the tailcap gives you full lumens you know what the issue is.

As far as upgrades go, the OWL, Rein, or Modlite would be great upgrades. Surefire Scout, not so much. In fact, I used to be a diehard Surefire fan boy until I got a Rail Mount 2 and it outperformed my M600DF. That's when I jumped ship and switched to Modlite. Candela is where it's at, and Surefire just doesn't have it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you still have the tailcap? Maybe the switch has gone bad. I have heard that is more common with Streamlights. If the tailcap gives you full lumens you know what the issue is.

As far as upgrades go, the OWL, Rein, or Modlite would be great upgrades. Surefire Scout, not so much. In fact, I used to be a diehard Surefire fan boy until I got a Rail Mount 2 and it outperformed my M600DF. That's when I jumped ship and switched to Modlite. Candela is where it's at, and Surefire just doesn't have it.
View Quote

With the RM2, same results if I have the tape switch plugged in or unplug it and use the thumb switch attached to the body.

I've heard similar/mixed reviews on the surefires. Modlite and Cloud Defensive seem to have constantly stellar reviews!

If anyone has used the owl, with it mounted fully forward on the top rail, will the light head clear the FSB?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The TLR-1 HL and RM2 are both 1000 lumens (current versions), however, the TLR-1 HL has greater candela, meaning a brighter hot spot and more throw than the RM2.  The RM2 has less throw and more spill, which will make it appear dimmer even though it has the sane amount of total output.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The TLR-1 HL and RM2 are both 1000 lumens (current versions), however, the TLR-1 HL has greater candela, meaning a brighter hot spot and more throw than the RM2.  The RM2 has less throw and more spill, which will make it appear dimmer even though it has the sane amount of total output.
View Quote

Well I feel goofy, I doubled checked the specs today and low and behold I had my numbers mixed up. Ones got double the candela! I guess I never noticed it until I started playing with them side by side. My faith has been restored in Streamlight! May have to grab a protac HLX for the collection now!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well I feel goofy, I doubled checked the specs today and low and behold I had my numbers mixed up. Ones got double the candela! I guess I never noticed it until I started playing with them side by side. My faith has been restored in Streamlight! May have to grab a protac HLX for the collection now!
View Quote

It's a common mistake, where people only consider the total lumen output and disregard the candela rating, whereas depending on the application, the candela rating can be just as important.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's a common mistake, where people only consider the total lumen output and disregard the candela rating, whereas depending on the application, the candela rating can be just as important.
View Quote

IMO, candela is even more important than lumens, as candela is really a hard, definitive rating, whereas lumen output numbers can be deceiving and not really representative of actual, usable performance. The OKW only has 680 lumens, but it is PLENTY to really illuminate a room. But the 1500 lumen M600DF can't even outperform a Streamlight Rail Mount 2 outdoors, where there's no walls to bounce light off of, because the Surefire's lumens is only around 16,000.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top