Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2021 1:28:45 AM EDT
Hey guys. Running an H3 buffer, mil spec carbine buffer spring, carbine buffer tube, bootleg 4 position adjustable carrier on fully closed (suppressed setting), wolf steel cased ammo, high back pressure can. I'm getting EXTREMELY consistent (95%) stovepipes (both 180 degree and 90 degree flavor) when I fire from the port door closed. If the dust cover is closed initially, the gun stovepipes. Once the port door is open, it functions well.

Ejection is roughly 3 o clock, give or take 30 minutes depending on the powder load the russians put in that particular case.

Any ideas? Is this an overgas issue? Not sure where to go from an H3 buffer and a bootleg adjustable carrier fully closed with steel cased and a mil spec carbine spring.

A5 system? Increased power spring? PWS H4 buffer?

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Slo mo and a tripod might help you troubleshoot...I've had to do that before.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure your door detent isn't stuck/damaged. Lube the door/detent/spring.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I am obviously missing some pertinent info, such as, why not leave the dust cover open?
If it works that way, then that’s what I would do, I’m not much on changing parts and futzing too much on an AR15.

I had so much trouble with some M16’s, that I was ready to swing them into the closet tree.
Then God sent me an issue M4 Carbine while I was in the NG, it was a Colt and I never once had it malfunction.

I guess you know what kind of carbine is on my wish list. I would love to have one of Colts rifles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Disregard
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Stovepipe is more likely an undergassed issue.  

First thought would be running H3 buffer.

I'd dial it back to H1 and see what happens.  

99% sure that fix things, but so many here are obsessed over trying to micro tune their ARs to just barely function instead of just letting them run.

Going up to a heavier buffer like a H4 buffer would seem to be going in the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

99% sure that fix things, but so many here are obsessed over trying to micro tune their ARs to just barely function instead of just letting them run.

Going up to a heavier buffer like a H4 buffer would seem to be going in the wrong direction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ejection is about right if not overgassed. Bolt speed feels/seems high.

Quoted:
Pull all the way back on the charging handle, and make sure that bolt face stops 1/8"~1/4" in front of ejection port window back edge.

If bolt face is even, or behind back of port window on full pull, pull buffer and recoil spring and use a quarter or two down the tube as end of tube shims to get the bolt to stop at the correct position forward of the back edge of port.

Next, lock port cover closed, slowly pull back on the CH, and make sure that is the latch off the Forward assist dent in the side of the carrier that is opening the cover on the initial movement of the carrier.  From here, make sure to lube the ejection cover pin to cover folds, so as soon at the cover detent clears, the ejection cover is popping open quickly.

Bolt face goes way back behind the rearmost part of the port. Isn't that normal?

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bolt face goes way back behind the rearmost part of the port. Isn't that normal?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Pull all the way back on the charging handle, and make sure that bolt face stops 1/8"~1/4" in front of ejection port window back edge.

If bolt face is even, or behind back of port window on full pull, pull buffer and recoil spring and use a quarter or two down the tube as end of tube shims to get the bolt to stop at the correct position forward of the back edge of port.

Next, lock port cover closed, slowly pull back on the CH, and make sure that is the latch off the Forward assist dent in the side of the carrier that is opening the cover on the initial movement of the carrier.  From here, make sure to lube the ejection cover pin to cover folds, so as soon at the cover detent clears, the ejection cover is popping open quickly.

No, not normal.
Unless I have a very good reason to allow (slightly) more travel distance, I like the front of the bolt to stop 1/8" from the rear of the port cut out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:01:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I am using an carbine length buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, measure your RE.

How long is it
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Guys. I'm using a standard carbine buffer tube, and a standard carbine buffer length.

"Running an H3 buffer, mil spec carbine buffer spring, carbine buffer tube, bootleg 4 position adjustable carrier on fully closed (suppressed setting), wolf steel cased ammo, high back pressure can."

I think the gun is overgassed still.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:28:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I checked my other 6x AR15s as well as two other AR15s of my friends, all that function fine, and on full charging handle pull they all have the bolt face at the same spot.

Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#18]
As noted above... I think this is simple.

Sure the dust cover isn't just screwed up? How much effort does it take to actually get it to snap closed and open up? Does the spring make it snap down onto the receiver real good like (I assume) your other rifles do? Does it bind up at all? Does it sit flat when closed? Did the pin walk out?

I've had a couple rifles with bent doors, seized up detents, worn out uppers (the detent actually wore enough of the aluminum away it wouldn't stay closed), bent pins, cracked pins...

Any chance the dang bolt carrier contour is way off and the carrier hits the door way too late?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top