Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2021 11:39:39 AM EDT
Looking at these 2 scopes. From what I have read on the Steiner the glass is excellent, but Im not sure I’m in love with the reticle.  I like the segmented circle bdc reticle on the Credo better.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy the reticle YOU LIKE. Both are good scopes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have run the Steiner in multigun competition and it worked great. Simple BDC and daylight visible dot even in the AZ summer sun. I “upgraded” to a Vortex 1-10x and the reticle is so busy I am seriously considering reverting to the lowly Steiner. For me, the Steiner reticle is everything I want, nothing I don’t.

No experience with the Trij.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have run the Steiner in multigun competition and it worked great. Simple BDC and daylight visible dot even in the AZ summer sun. I “upgraded” to a Vortex 1-10x and the reticle is so busy I am seriously considering reverting to the lowly Steiner. For me, the Steiner reticle is everything I want, nothing I don’t.

No experience with the Trij.
View Quote

Same with my Razor JM reticle. Just can not justify buying anything else.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with the Steiner but I've never handled a Credo (have handled the Accupower which is said to be the same).  Glass quality seems to be a tad better on the Steiner, turrets feel better on the Trijicon, Steiner has the better reticle (I don't like the segmented circle).  The biggest difference is that the Steiner is daylight bright while the Trijicon isn't.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Steiner every day all day. Daylight bright with better edge clarity.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Stiener...Clear glass usable reticle that's not to busy. Stiener all the way
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Steiner P4Xi 1x4 was my first LPVO.

Razor 1x6 JM1 was my second LPVO.

Still have both. BDC reticle with daylight bright red dot on both. Clean and simple for 5.56 rounds.

Can hit 12”x12” plate at 300 yards consistently with both optics.  

Just have to decide if you want to spend $800 or $1400.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies. I think I’m leaning toward the Steiner. After looking at some more pics the reticle isn't as thick as I thought it was.  Seems like the better option.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies. I think I’m leaning toward the Steiner. After looking at some more pics the reticle isn't as thick as I thought it was.  Seems like the better option.
View Quote

Using the Steiner at 1x with the red dot on makes the thickness of the reticle a non issue.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Using the Steiner at 1x with the red dot on makes the thickness of the reticle a non issue.
View Quote

I was more thinking about at 4x. I have a leupold firedot currently and the reticle is thick. With the circle and crosshairs it looks crowded. At 4x it covers smaller targets at 100yds
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was more thinking about at 4x. I have a leupold firedot currently and the reticle is thick. With the circle and crosshairs it looks crowded. At 4x it covers smaller targets at 100yds
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 2nd focal plane reticle doesn’t grow in size when you turn up the magnification. Only the object you are aiming at does. Works great at 4X.

I was mostly concerned when using the Steiner for the first time at 1x. I thought the reticle was too thick until I turned on the red dot. If I recall, the red dot is .75 MOA. So it’s quite a bit smaller than your typical Aimpoint 2 MOA dot.

The only reason I purchased the Razor 1x6 was to try plinking steel at 400 yards.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Steiner isn't worth the cost at the base price you can find them at IMO. That price is $800. If you can find the Steiner for $600 range it's a much better fit for that price range IMO.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Steiner isn't worth the cost at the base price you can find them at IMO. That price is $800. If you can find the Steiner for $600 range it's a much better fit for that price range IMO.
View Quote

I agree completely.  I wouldn’t buy it for $800.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked up my Steiner before the price increase.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Just yesterday I saw the Steiner at Dvor.com for $589 + shipping/taxes/etc.  Now shows sold out!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#16]
The Steiner is one of my favorite optics. Day bright and simple reticle
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Most defiantly the Steiner due to better glass and daylight bright reticle. Also, agree I wouldn’t pay more then $600 for one. Miss the days of $450ish at DSG Arms w/ mil discount. I bought 3 of them years ago and unfortunately sold everyone of them to chase more magnification.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I ordered the P4Xi this morning. Thanks for everyones replies!

Now to decide on a mount. The Scalarworks looks awesome, but damn its expensive. I have a aero lightweight mount on my Leupold and its solid. It was a bitch to mount the scope though.  Because of the nature of the mount the scope rotates slightly as you tighten the screws. Other than that its ok. I dont need a quick release mount, to me the weight isn’t worth it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I ordered the P4Xi this morning. Thanks for everyones replies!

Now to decide on a mount. The Scalarworks looks awesome, but damn its expensive. I have a aero lightweight mount on my Leupold and its solid. It was a bitch to mount the scope though.  Because of the nature of the mount the scope rotates slightly as you tighten the screws. Other than that its ok. I dont need a quick release mount, to me the weight isn't worth it.
View Quote

You might be able to find the Scalaworks on the EE if you're patient. I also highly recommend the Badger COMM 1.54" or 1.7".

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You might be able to find the Scalaworks on the EE if you're patient. I also highly recommend the Badger COMM 1.54" or 1.7".

View Quote

The Badger is sweet too. Might have to look for a 1.54.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Daniel Defense 30mm mount is as light as the Scalarworks but not QD.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#22]
The Scalarworks is an amazing mount but may be a bit overkill for the Credo.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Scalarworks is an amazing mount but may be a Biot overkill for the Credo.
View Quote

I was thinking the same. I bought the P4Xi.  I think $300 is the top I would spend on a mount for a scope I paid $600 for. Found the Badger C1 for $289. Im considering that. I’m also thinking of maybe going with the Aero since it’s lightweight.  have one in 1” for my leupold and its been fine. Just a pain to mount the scope in it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same. I bought the P4Xi.  I think $300 is the top I would spend on a mount for a scope I paid $600 for. Found the Badger C1 for $289. Im considering that. I'm also thinking of maybe going with the Aero since it's lightweight.  have one in 1" for my leupold and its been fine. Just a pain to mount the scope in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Scalarworks is an amazing mount but may be a Biot overkill for the Credo.

I was thinking the same. I bought the P4Xi.  I think $300 is the top I would spend on a mount for a scope I paid $600 for. Found the Badger C1 for $289. Im considering that. I'm also thinking of maybe going with the Aero since it's lightweight.  have one in 1" for my leupold and its been fine. Just a pain to mount the scope in it.

It might be a touch overkill but it looks good. And let's face it, that matters...

I actually use one of my p4xi's in the Scalaworks mount I had laying around (I switched all mounts to Badger) on my 11" Bren simply because of the left side charging handle.

I use Badger for everything else.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looking at these 2 scopes. From what I have read on the Steiner the glass is excellent, but Im not sure I’m in love with the reticle.  I like the segmented circle bdc reticle on the Credo better.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I would look into the 1-6 credo, they seem to have the 1-6 where it’s bright enough, it’s not nuclear but it’s red. Not a crimson dark red but stop sign red. The 1-6 credo HX is definitely bright because it’s a single point instead of a whole reticle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m going say +1 on the Badger Condition 1 mounts. I bought a used 1.7 with a Razor Gen II E 1-6 and love it. Since then I’ve bought a few others (two 1.54” and one 1.93”). After my range trip the other day zeroing my NX8 in the 1.93” and my mini-Recce with a Steiner 1-4 mounted in a Midwest QD mount I’m leaning on buying another 1.7 or 1.93” Badger mount for that rifle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Went with the Badger C1 1.54 mount. Got it from Midway for $289 for anyone wondering.  Thought it was a great price. I think I will be happy with this setup. I will update when I get it mounted and get some range time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Got my mount and got it all mounted up. Hopefully I get to the range soon to zero it. I really like this scope so far. Great deal for around $600.

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Got my mount and got it all mounted up. Hopefully I get to the range soon to zero it. I really like this scope so far. Great deal for around $600.

https://i.imgur.com/eipcEQU.jpg
View Quote

Looks Good!
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Looks Good!
View Quote

Thanks! I really like this setup so far just larping around with it. I need to get to the range soon.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/eipcEQU.jpg
View Quote

The illum knob will drive you nuts (and probably result in a few dead batteries).
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The illum knob will drive you nuts (and probably result in a few dead batteries).
View Quote

Curious what issues you've had with the illumination knob?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

mine is are (both of them) mushy as hell.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

It doesn’t have the most positive clicks but I don’t really see it as an issue. I do like how there is an off between each click. That way you only have to move it 1 click to turn it on.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ahh yeah, I totally agree with you. I thought there was some other bizzare issue with optic. I wish they had a more positive detent, but I haven't had any issues.. Yet lol. The off position between settings are it's saving grace.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:18:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The mushiness. And the very fine adjustment. Sometimes I wouldn't realize that the illum wasn't in an off position completely, or it would skip to the next on position without my feeling it. Not what I'd expect from a fairly pricey scope.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Steiner was a great optic, and probably one of the best on the market for the money when it was in the $500 range.  Now that it’s pushing $800, it’s a ripoff.  That’s into Vortex Viper 1-6x money, and only $100-200 short of used Vortex Razor money.

If anyone in the future reads this for reference, my suggestion would have been for the Trijicon AccuPoint TR24.  Best illumination out of all of them, good glass, and one of the few scopes still at least assembled and partly made in the US.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Steiner was a great optic, and probably one of the best on the market for the money when it was in the $500 range.  Now that it’s pushing $800, it’s a ripoff.  That’s into Vortex Viper 1-6x money, and only $100-200 short of used Vortex Razor money..
View Quote

I paid $595 for mine. At that price it’s a good value and I’m very happy with it. I agree $800 is too much.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:09:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Steiner was a great optic, and probably one of the best on the market for the money when it was in the $500 range.  Now that it's pushing $800, it's a ripoff.  That's past Vortex Viper 1-6x money, and only $100-200 short of used Vortex Razor money.

If anyone in the future reads this for reference, my suggestion would have been for the Trijicon AccuPoint TR24.  Best illumination out of all of them, good glass, and one of the few scopes still at least assembled and partly made in the US.
View Quote
I believe Viper 1-6x weren't even $800 when they came out. I haven't looked recently but Vipers were also $550-650
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same experience I had with my P4Xi before I sold it on the EE. Mush turrets and mush illumination knob.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Same experience I had with my P4Xi before I sold it on the EE. Mush turrets and mush illumination knob.
View Quote

On one out of a sample of two, my magnification ring is stiff.  Come on Steiner!  Get it right!.
But other than that, damn it's a sweet piece of glass.  Crisp, bright red dot.  Love it
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#42]
How about a Zeiss V4-1-4?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The Steiner was a great optic, and probably one of the best on the market for the money when it was in the $500 range.  Now that it’s pushing $800, it’s a ripoff.  That’s into Vortex Viper 1-6x money, and only $100-200 short of used Vortex Razor money.

View Quote

I'm reading this just a couple weeks later and I'm going back and forth over razor/tr24/steiner/credo and I'm leaning tr24
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm reading this just a couple weeks later and I'm going back and forth over razor/tr24/steiner/credo and I'm leaning tr24
View Quote

The Delta Stryker HD 1-6x also seems to be a good option at that price point, albeit there is not a ton of information available on it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Found at least one online dealer with a price of $579 new, after you put it in your cart. Probably have to add tax and/or shipping.

I just picked up a used Steiner on the EE for $450 shipped.
Haven’t shot with it yet but it looks to be in near new condition, with box and manual.

Going to mount it in a Aero Extended lightweight mount.

Can’t wait!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Steiner P4Xi 1x4 was my first LPVO.

Razor 1x6 JM1 was my second LPVO.

Still have both. BDC reticle with daylight bright red dot on both. Clean and simple for 5.56 rounds.

Can hit 12”x12” plate at 300 yards consistently with both optics.  

Just have to decide if you want to spend $800 or $1400.
View Quote

I've seen the P4Xi for under $600 on Divor. Still 3 days left. I am a big fan of Trijocon, but for the price the Steiner is hard to beat and I own 1.  Had 2 and sold one and should not have.  I really think its the best 1-4 for the money.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Updates
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Is the zeiss 1-4 discontinued?
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm in the same boat but flipping between the P4Xi and Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24.  My most desired ability would be speed at 1X with closer distances.  Does one of these two have a noticeable advantage over the other?  Looking at things like a forgiving eyebox and glass quality.  The reticle, to me, is fine on either.  Daylight bright is further down the list of importance but I understand both do OK with this.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#50]
So how come we have this thread with Steiner as the best choice with a Daylight bright simple reticle.

Then down below we have Steiner reliability issues thread?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Durability-reliability-of-Steiner-P4xi-/18-764788/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top