Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/2/2022 4:05:02 PM EDT
I thought 55gr M193 is safe enough to use in a range. However, mine were attracted to magnets and the range did not allow me to use them. No idea whether it is an issue with Sterling or I got fake stuff. To be safe, I will just stay away with this brand...
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Stop going to FUD ranges that check your shit with magnets. Most likely nothing wrong with the ammo, you just chose the wrong range
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Send that garage to me for disposal
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
There is actually a valid reason to not allow bi-metal jacketed bullets, they spark when they hit the backstop and are a fire hazard.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is actually a valid reason to not allow bi-metal jacketed bullets, they spark when they hit the backstop and are a fire hazard.
View Quote

This. Multiple fires at both my local ranges in just the last 2 years from bi-metal ammo.
If there is steel in your ammo you need to reevaluate your life anyway.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
But sadly, it is way easier to find another brand of ammo than another range...
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#6]
All the indoor ranges around here forbid it. When asked the fire hazard issue is what they all told me when I asked.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have heard that A LOT of unburned powder accumulates on the ground at busy ranges that do not sweep often and thus, excitement can ensue.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I think I would avoid this brand because it is Turkish, has some pretty poor reviews, and some of their 9mm was subject to a recall...
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#9]
yeah quite common to use bi-metal jackets at times.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stop going to FUD ranges that check your shit with magnets. Most likely nothing wrong with the ammo, you just chose the wrong range
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Who/how was it determined that the bullets are bi-metal?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#12]
The range worker used a magnet.

That means either the bullet jacket contains a magnetic substance such as steel.

OR the core of the bullet is steel. This is unlikely as it is a 55gr bullet and is probably a lead cored bullet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
are you going to WGS? Bc those guys are the most risk averse cucks I’ve ever seen (make you sit through a safety video, and throw you out if you disassemble your cleared pistol). Second is the Tacoma Sportsman’s Club which throws you out if you violate the 1 second between rounds rule or load more than 10 rds.

Just go shoot whatever in the Triangle Pit
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

All the indoor ranges around here forbid it. When asked the fire hazard issue is what they all told me when I asked.
View Quote

No, that’s silly…. It’s because steel penetrators wear the bullet traps faster. And some insurance cuck decided that “ArMur PeeRsInG BoOliTs” will shoot through a wall or something.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, that’s silly…. It’s because steel penetrators wear the bullet traps faster. And some insurance cuck decided that “ArMur PeeRsInG BoOliTs” will shoot through a wall or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot Wolf ammo at night and you'll immediately see why bi-metal bullets are not allowed on many ranges
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes. I used to think the whole "No Steel" thing was BS until I caught the 100 yard target berm on fire at my local range!

I was shooting a Mosin Nagant and LPS Steel cored ammo and one of the bullets hit a rock in the backstop and caught a bunch of old targets on fire!

Had to pack 5 gallon buckets of water out there and douse the flames!
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Have had some brass cased 762x39 and 308 that have bi metal bullet jackets. I started checking odd brands and marking it on the box few years back after I got some that way.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I have never had to submit to a magnet inspection (indoors and outdoors) before at any range I've been to.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. I can see why indoor ranges don't want it shot there. My local range, an outdoor one, doesn't allow it because they say it tears up their berms.
I don;t have a problem with steel-cased or bi-metal ammo, have tons of it. It's just getting harder and harder to shoot it, lol.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Shoot Wolf ammo at night and you'll immediately see why bi-metal bullets are not allowed on many ranges
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Last time I went to New Mexico, me and a buddy hit some BLM land and shot up a bunch of Russian steel ammo and could see sparks hundreds of yards away. This was at dusk and the fireballs out of my M92 were freaking impressive!
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This. Multiple fires at both my local ranges in just the last 2 years from bi-metal ammo.
If there is steel in your ammo you need to reevaluate your life anyway.

View Quote

Most surplus M2 ball and NATO spec 7.62 and 5.56 has steel in the bullet....
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indoor range with an AR?

They never check me before firing into row of targets stapled to plywood with a high dirt berm behind it at outdoor ranges.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have had some brass cased 762x39 and 308 that have bi metal bullet jackets. I started checking odd brands and marking it on the box few years back after I got some that way.
View Quote

Most military production of 7.62x51mm NATO used/uses steel jackets in their production of the round, including US Lake City production...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#25]
So thankful to have a nice, large outdoor range complex ~15 minutes from my house.

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Most military production of 7.62x51mm NATO used/uses steel jackets in their production of the round, including US Lake City production...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
View Quote

NATO allows bimetal bullet jackets for 7.62 ammo, but not for NATO spec 5.56 ammo, but it has steel in the core.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top