Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2022 9:00:25 AM EDT
Building a 11.3 upper to swap on to my radian lower. The 16" upper I currently have, I purchased complete, so I wanted a shorter upper and figured I'd build it this time.

Thanks to @FosTech for the deal on the BA 11.3 Hanson barrel & MI combat 10.5 rail.

Went with a nitride coated carbine gas tube, SBA4 brace (not sure how I feel about this brace) and a SOLGW NOX.

Chime in with any input negative or positive, any recommendations. Still learning this stuff so this won't be the last build.

the 16" current

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
SBA4 brace (not sure how I feel about this brace)
View Quote

There is a way, if you end up hatin' it...

ETA:  I don't know DE's rules about SBR
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a very similar build, same barrel & lower.  Dear Air Flash Hider.  Running a VLTOR A5 Receiver Extension.  I think you’ll like your set up.

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is a way, if you end up hatin' it...

ETA:  I don't know DE's rules about SBR
View Quote

Yea I could go that route. I think eventually I will but probably a completely separate build. Only thing DE doesn't allow is suppressor. ??
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a very similar build, same barrel & lower.  Dear Air Flash Hider.  Running a VLTOR A5 Receiver Extension.  I think you’ll like your set up.

https://i.imgur.com/aIWE2pL.jpg
View Quote

Very nice. Yea that's identical. I'll post after I get to shoot it. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
You have a rifle… you can’t make it into a pistol now.

To make a pistol, you will need a new lower.

Or, go the SBR route and F1 the lower, if you can.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You have a rifle… you can’t make it into a pistol now.

To make a pistol, you will need a new lower.

Or, go the SBR route and F1 the lower, if you can.
View Quote

I built my rifle. Lower isn't registered as a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

true, stripped lowers do not designate one way or the other, but you made it into a rifle first.  You might consider reading a little about how the rules on that work. (in short, pistol to rifle is ok, rifle to pistol is a no go, per ATF)

Anyhow, to your topic at hand.  I think the parts you have are just fine.  Can you do supressors in DE?  If so, maybe consider what mounting system you want to use and get that now when you build the upper.

edit;

So, just read a brief bit on DE gun laws.  No supressors... that sucks.  But it does seem like you can do a SBR.  Be safe, SBR the lower and gather the upper parts while you wait.  dump the brace and be happy you can run a stock on it once the F1 is approved.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

true, stripped lowers do not designate one way or the other, but you made it into a rifle first.  You might consider reading a little about how the rules on that work. (in short, pistol to rifle is ok, rifle to pistol is a no go, per ATF)

Anyhow, to your topic at hand.  I think the parts you have are just fine.  Can you do supressors in DE?  If so, maybe consider what mounting system you want to use and get that now when you build the upper.

edit;

So, just read a brief bit on DE gun laws.  No supressors... that sucks.  But it does seem like you can do a SBR.  Be safe, SBR the lower and gather the upper parts while you wait.  dump the brace and be happy you can run a stock on it once the F1 is approved.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit;

Yea no suppressor, sucks. I'll have to re-read about the pistol, my understanding was if it was made as a rifle, complete and registered during the ffl process as a rifle then I couldn't switch to pistol. Will definitely look more into it. I appreciate the info, thank you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#9]
No suppressors does suck.  

11.3 is perfect for the AEM5.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

edit;

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit;

@Sneakerz4Me

You just forgot to mention that when you first built that Radian lower you set it up with a short barreled upper and a bare receiver extension or brace prior to changing your mind and building the 16 inch rifle. I'm assuming that is what seand1111 means

So then you can go back and forth pistol to rifle, back to pistol, back to rifle, back to pistol....

Cool how that works
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@Sneakerz4Me

You just forgot to mention that when you first built that Radian lower you set it up with a short barreled upper and a bare receiver extension or brace prior to changing your mind and building the 16 inch rifle. I'm assuming that is what seand1111 means

So then you can go back and forth pistol to rifle, back to pistol, back to rifle, back to pistol....

Cool how that works
View Quote

lol....
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No suppressors does suck.  

11.3 is perfect for the AEM5.
View Quote

I need to move back to PA lol
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@Sneakerz4Me

Cool how that works
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit;

@Sneakerz4Me

Cool how that works

That's pretty much what my understanding of the rule was. But I understand going the safe route and SBR it, which I eventually will do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Loved it!! Lighter than my other upper, the Nox does a good job at mizzle rise, Hanson barrel seems to be really good as well... Overall I feel I control the gun better, didn't notice any more recoil or harshness being shorter.

href=https://i.ibb.co/Mcd82fV/20220522-121221.jpg" />
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top