Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2023 8:28:32 AM EDT
Hello,

I am looking for clone correct standard issue paracord for dummy cord your rifle attachments, like ATPIAL, weapon light, RCO. I've seen this so many times, almost every military picture out there has tied down rifle gear to the rifle.

In the most cases they are using olive drab/green paracord.

I am wondering, what specific paracord is it?

It would be probably 550. Maybe MIL-C-5040 Type III Parachute Cord, or Atwood Rope MFG 550 lb. What is the correct name of this color? Have it some mil standard governemnt color code or is it just basic olive drab?

I would love to buy exact same type of paracord that is seen in so many US Army pictures. Bellow, you can find example:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/MBjCTdX

Thank you for your answers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like gutted 550 to me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:18:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#2]
It’s green 550 cord with the guts pulled out.   It’s just OD green we had miles of it.

We used that and wire.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:48:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan123] [#3]
Thank you very much, guys! You helped me a lot.

I am not native english speaker and it was hard to find a proper name of it on Google. I just discovered out on ChatGPT-4 that it's called 'dummy cord', so finally I was able to find more info and comes out with a proper question here.

Gutted 550 paracord seems 100% legit, thanks to you guys I already found some on surplus pages, it's even in OD green, so I bet on your words.

Have a nice day bros.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Gutted 550 using end of the line bowline knots plus an overhand to secure it. Then cut the ends of the 550 short and melt them, getting some of the molten liquid on your person. At least that was period correct for late 90’s, we also went to using safety wire for some stuff.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:10:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan123] [#5]
Arel_T_Dubue: Thank you, I much appreciate your answer, the way how you did it in actual military is just what I wanted for completing my clone correct build.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Most common wire would be .041" diameter also.

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#7]
We always used "gutted" 550 cord. I never really understood why. I have never had an optic of anything else randomly fly off my gun, but that's what they had us do. In your case I understand why and I think it's a damn nice touch to add that little detail.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
It's just OD either Type II or Type III nylon cord with the guts pulled out.  Perfectly interchangeable for the purpose.

The Type II will usually have little black marks on the exterior.  Type II was common on T10 suspension lines, since the T10 has been phased out, you don't see it as much.

Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Wire was always best. No need to remember a knot and it never burnt off. Plus the stupid box tie for the peq/la5 never let it sit in the picatinny slot correctly.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]
paracord
550 cord
type 3 nylon

In OD green. Don't worry too much about the exact shade. OD seems to be more of a range than an exact shade, or even color. It will also get darker as you use it and it gets a little dirty, or a little oil gets in it (even if that's just from your hands).
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top