Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2018 2:16:50 PM EDT
From a Reddit user. Isn’t this what literally every company makes?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Using an A3 upper on a rifle marketed as a "M16A2 reproduction" is pretty dumb
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't be a M16A2 retro because it has a detachable carry handle first off.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Same deal with PSA, apparently having a detachable carry handle is close enough to a real A2 for the marketing department
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:50:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Those handguards are nasty.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
twist is wrong also.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I personally would not spend that kind of scratch on it. But to each his own.

The one I and my Son just built has a 1/9 barrel twist. Not a big deal to us though.. But if we find a correct FN 1/7 at a good price, we will change it out. All we could afford right now is a incorrect twist.. But we only have around 450.00 in building it also. And it has a correct GI FN A2 upper, and GI Handguards.

Not sure why anyone even makes a A2 barrel in 1/9 or 1/8 when they are supposed to be 1/7. I suppose so you can shoot lighter bullets? Maybe cheaper to produce a 1/9?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure why anyone even makes a A2 barrel in 1/9 or 1/8 when they are supposed to be 1/7. I suppose so you can shoot lighter bullets? Maybe cheaper to produce a 1/9?
View Quote
1:9 covers a lot of middle ground in bullet weights, it's an easy way for manufacturers to guarantee their barrels will shoot almost all commercially available ammo decently. The military only fields a few different weights so they can optimize their barrels for a narrower range of weights.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Normally when you see a company change things, it is to fit demand by the consumer and to appeal to a wider consumer base.  We all know a lot about AR rifles and how they have evolved over the years, but the average AR buyer does not, or they don't care..
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Dammit. When I saw the pic for "left" and right", thought I'd found me a source for a lefty A2 upper.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#12]
A2 purists cringe at a "retro" A2 rifle having a detachable carry handle.  But there arent many purists out there so as mentioned, companies will market A3 uppered rifles to an unknowing public.  Got to go with the money.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I built an "A2" clone with a detachable carry handle because I like the retro look but I also reserve the right to throw an acog on it and go to battle against those zombies.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I built an "A2" clone with a detachable carry handle because I like the retro look but I also reserve the right to throw an acog on it and go to battle against those zombies.
View Quote
But then didnt you actually build a basic A4 clone?

The mind boggles.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
So then it's not an A2
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty much this.
I like options and I'm selective in my Puritanism.
It's styling, not a photo-real prop.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But then didnt you actually build a basic A4 clone?

The mind boggles.
View Quote
A4's have different handguards and no carry handle. I wanted the A2 look but the ability to convert it to an A4 if the circumstances warrant it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So then it's not an A2
View Quote
No, it's not an A2 it's an "A2".
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh, and my "A2" build has an A1 sling on it and a gen 2 pmag in it loaded with Korean clone m193 ammo in it. It might not meet your standards but I wouldn't break into my house if I were you. It would really be embarrassing if you were shot by an inaccurate clone build.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A4's have different handguards and no carry handle. I wanted the A2 look but the ability to convert it to an A4 if the circumstances warrant it.
View Quote
I don’t think the KAC M5 RAS is a definitive characteristic of the M16A4.  They are usually equipped with them, but I don’t think it’s a requirement.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#21]
It's basically a sort of kind of A4.  Not sure what there is to be up in arms about other than they don't know what to call something.  But if someone wanted an early A4 copy, they could go that route.  I don't like those super fat handguards though. They're just all wrong.

But as far as the configuration goes.  Regardless of what they call it, I don't have a problem with it.  You could slap a scope on it and see how she does.  Or a RDS.  Or whatever.  I love my A2 but it's not like a flat top is a bad thing.  The only downside is if you were always going to just shoot irons, the detachable handle probably adds a bit of weight.

But in the end, I kind of like it.  Besides the fat handguards.  You could buy some used USGI ones and spruce it up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Dang Stag just call it what it is a M16A4 (which is historic in its own), not M16A2.  But ditch those handguards and get the right twist rate.  The M16A4 MWS (Modular Weapons System) had the BUIS and M5 KAC RAS.

CD
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So then it's not an A2
No, it's an A4. Before everyone had acogs the vast majority of m16a4s were issued with carry handles. The KAC M5 is not mandatory on A4s.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top