Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2022 2:39:02 PM EDT
Has anyone seen ANY of this ammo available anywhere lately?  

Anywhere?

TIA
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
There never was a commercially available 5.56 loading of the 62 grain Gold Dot.  At one time, Speer did load a 5.56 version of the 64 grain Gold Dot, but that was short lived.  

When chronographed from a 20” Colt barrel, that load had a muzzle velocity of 2834 FPS with a standard deviation of 17 FPS.  A 10-shot group of the 5.56 loading of the 64 grain Gold Dot fired at a distance of 100 yards from a free-floated Colt 16” HBAR (6721) with a NATO chamber, chrome-lining and a 1:9” twist had a extreme spread of 1.42”.

For comparison . . .

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Molon,  thanks for the info!

When you say never was commercially available... I have some in my cabinet and here is a link to Speer's website:

https://www.speer.com/ammunition/gold_dot/rifle/gold_dot_rifle_personal_protection/19-24461.html

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you?  Or are we talking 223 Rem vs. 5.56?  I see they are advertised as 223 Rem... I used the 5.56 reference, sorry.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Price is retarded but
https://ammo4patriots.com/223-rem-62gr-speer-gold-dot-soft-point-20rnd-box/
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Molon,  thanks for the info!

When you say never was commercially available... I have some in my cabinet and here is a link to Speer's website:

https://www.speer.com/ammunition/gold_dot/rifle/gold_dot_rifle_personal_protection/19-24461.html

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you?  Or are we talking 223 Rem vs. 5.56?  I see they are advertised as 223 Rem... I used the 5.56 reference, sorry.
View Quote

That's what I'm wondering, cause I've seen both 62 & 64gr (not for a while though) available in factory loads. Labeled as 223 not 5.56 I guess if we're picking nits.

64gr (left) vs. 62gr (right) gold dot - 1 by 11C1P, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Assuming that this is the disconnect.

The only 5.56 advertised GD that I've shot was 55 gr.

By far, not a lot of personal experience with GD on my end.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes the .223 vs 5.56 reference is the disconnect.  I read more of his posts/articles and it was my bad to state "5.56" when in all reality they are ".223" loadings, not 5.56.

All good, thanks again all and Molon!
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want 5.56mm pressure with Gold Dots, you have to reload them. The best factory load is Fusion MSR but it’s still quite anemic.

Fortunately, the projectiles aren’t hard to get. 2900-3000fps from a 16” barrel is achievable depending on how much temperature sensitivity you’re willing to accept. 28gr (I think) of CFE223 will produce 3000fps but there will be elevation shifts depending on temperature. I’d prefer to use an extruded powder and sacrifice some raw velocity for consistency but they’re hard to find. My friend has loaded these for me since I lack the infrastructure. I basically wanted a budget alternative to M855A1, but with better barrier blindness than MK318 Mod 1, and I think we’ve achieved that. If you want factory ammo, you may want to consider MK318 Mod 1.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want 5.56mm pressure with Gold Dots, you have to reload them. The best factory load is Fusion MSR but it’s still quite anemic.

Fortunately, the projectiles aren’t hard to get. 2900-3000fps from a 16” barrel is achievable depending on how much temperature sensitivity you’re willing to accept. 28gr (I think) of CFE223 will produce 3000fps but there will be elevation shifts depending on temperature. I’d prefer to use an extruded powder and sacrifice some raw velocity for consistency but they’re hard to find. My friend has loaded these for me since I lack the infrastructure. I basically wanted a budget alternative to M855A1, but with better barrier blindness than MK318 Mod 1, and I think we’ve achieved that. If you want factory ammo, you may want to consider MK318 Mod 1.
View Quote

Are you serious?? Component Speer Gold Dots in 62 and 75 grain flavors aren't hard to get??  None have been available anywhere for sale for nearly a year.  Every inquiry I've made to Speer when they will be available has been worthless.

I search every week using Ammo Seek Reloading, Nothing Found.  I have alerts outstanding to Midway, Graf's, Natchez, MidSouth, just to name a few.  Also Nothing Found.

So it they are so easy to get, where are you getting them??
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you serious?? Component Speer Gold Dots in 62 and 75 grain flavors aren't hard to get??  None have been available anywhere for sale for nearly a year.  Every inquiry I've made to Speer when they will be available has been worthless.

I search every week using Ammo Seek Reloading, Nothing Found.  I have alerts outstanding to Midway, Graf's, Natchez, MidSouth, just to name a few.  Also Nothing Found.

So it they are so easy to get, where are you getting them??
View Quote

I got 200 of them from (I think) MidSouth about four months ago
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The 62 gr GDSP is what I run through my Larue. It’s super accurate out to 300 yards so far.  This ammo is basically non existent right now, can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Does anyone know the difference between the 62 and 64 gr in this round, besides the 2 extra grains obviously.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 62 gr GDSP is what I run through my Larue. It’s super accurate out to 300 yards so far.  This ammo is basically non existent right now, can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Does anyone know the difference between the 62 and 64 gr in this round, besides the 2 extra grains obviously.
View Quote

If I remember correctly there was 5.56 loading of that 62gr projectile for a federal LE agency that you could find before the last election.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I was able to snag a few boxes of the 223 64gr a while before things got crazy, have been looking for more for a while now and can only find the occasional 62gr. Mainly 55gr and 75gr.

I guess I should have gotten more of the 64gr when I had the chance, always wondered why there was 64gr and 62gr.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:28:28 AM EDT
[#15]
The 64 grain gold dot Speer is very common LE issue. Probably the bulk of the production goes there.

I think the purple Smurf 62 grain ammo is a good training stand in.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:36:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly there was 5.56 loading of that 62gr projectile for a federal LE agency that you could find before the last election.
View Quote

You may be thinking of the Federal FBI load, but that uses the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet. Compared to the Gold Dot, it’s blunter and harder.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#17]
PM sent to OP I have some
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top