Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2022 10:24:58 AM EDT
I see on some site's that an SBR specifically 14.5in barrels or shorter, need a different charging handle than the ordinary dime a dozen ones. Is this true? I don't really understand why, so I need some help here. I have recently went full Wii-tard and bought parts to begin submitting paperwork to eventually put together an NFA item, I'm all legal here. So doing my research I found sites saying this charging handle won't work for SBR's, was that only specific fancy CH's?

It's a 10.5in incase that matters <3
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The lower has no impact on the upper, or the charging handle you use.  SBR is no different from an AR pistol other than the stock.  I don't have any SBR's but I do have several pistols and all have a mil-spec charging handle because I see no sense in spending a lot of money on something that sees so little use.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#3]
No, there's noting special about just a shorter barrel and needing a specific CH.

What you're probably reading pertains to shorter barrel guns with a suppressor attached.  These tend to be excessively gassed and as a result will have more gas blowing back into the receive that then tries to find it's way out every crack and crevice it can, including the hole in the back for the CH, and can thus blow some gas in your face.  There are some charging handles like the PRI Gas Buster that are designed to mitigate this by better filling in the fit between the receiver and CH and/or offering a forward facing little vent hole to redirect the gas away from your face.  It's still nothing that's needed to function, more of a quality of life upgrade for some who have a gassy rifle and don't want the blowback to their face.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Ambi option is very nice to have
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ambi option is very nice to have
View Quote
Also gas buster type design for suppressed use.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Some companies market "gas diversion" charging handles that purport to reduce the amount of gas blown back in the shooter's face, but these are typically geared towards those who are shooting suppressed ARs not SBRs specifically.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't listen to those posters, they're part of the Charging Handle-Industrial Complex trying to dilute your purity of essence! I have special SBR charging handles for all barrel lengths in stock right now, at only $75 shipped! I even have YouTube videos talking about how awesome and badass they are! Buy now before Biden bans them, they're so great!

(keeps adding logo and barrel length stickers to milspec CHs)

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nope
View Quote

Thank you!!! <3
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some companies market "gas diversion" charging handles that purport to reduce the amount of gas blown back in the shooter's face, but these are typically geared towards those who are shooting suppressed ARs not SBRs specifically.
View Quote
Get a tube of RTV silicone and do the DIY gas buster mod. Allows you to go with whatever charging handle tickles your fancy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#10]
[
Quoted:
The lower has no impact on the upper, or the charging handle you use.  SBR is no different from an AR pistol other than the stock.  I don't have any SBR's but I do have several pistols and all have a mil-spec charging handle because I see no sense in spending a lot of money on something that sees so little use.
View Quote

Thank you!! But it's not a lower question I haven't looked specifically at a lower yet as I don't want quote "construction something something" apparently it's actually illegal to have the dedicated lower and all the parts to the upper put together and ready to be pinned together, this is often gotten around by taking out the pins and keeping them seperate im told, so simple! ??????????

Yet they want uber super specifics of the lower measurements and description ?????? gotta love century old gun laws! But I'm not building a "AR pistol" not quite sure what someone would do with it, like the buffer tube is just jutting out the ass naked ??
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No, there's noting special about just a shorter barrel and needing a specific CH.

What you're probably reading pertains to shorter barrel guns with a suppressor attached.  These tend to be excessively gassed and as a result will have more gas blowing back into the receive that then tries to find it's way out every crack and crevice it can, including the hole in the back for the CH, and can thus blow some gas in your face.  There are some charging handles like the PRI Gas Buster that are designed to mitigate this by better filling in the fit between the receiver and CH and/or offering a forward facing little vent hole to redirect the gas away from your face.  It's still nothing that's needed to function, more of a quality of life upgrade for some who have a gassy rifle and don't want the blowback to their face.
View Quote

Nice! Do you read Recoil magazine? They have an article this month about a new CH that has a gasket seal to both quiet a suppressed system as well as mitigate that issue about too much gas which isn't an issue unless you make it one in most circumstances outside quieting stuff. Honestly it sounds like a brilliant idea to seal or adjust that system so it's quieter and tighter. Maybe there really is a reason people prefer AR systems when it comes to suppressing stuff. On another note the muzzle brake to my AKM will blow your hat off if you're standing back and to the side it's fun, it's a MI muzzle brake and I love it!

And I guess I have to add that I know overgassing things can cause premature wear on parts, yes I know, but that's not really anything I've seen happen too often but then again I'm not really into AR's so perhaps that happens more on some systems than others, my AKM and SKS says fucking sock it to me I love gas ????
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But it's not a lower question I haven't looked specifically at a lower yet as I don't want quote "construction something something" apparently it's actually illegal to have the dedicated lower and all the parts to the upper put together and ready to be pinned together, this is often gotten around by taking out the pins and keeping them seperate im told, so simple!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But it's not a lower question I haven't looked specifically at a lower yet as I don't want quote "construction something something" apparently it's actually illegal to have the dedicated lower and all the parts to the upper put together and ready to be pinned together, this is often gotten around by taking out the pins and keeping them seperate im told, so simple!
"Constructive possession" is when you have a collection of parts whose only possible use would be to create an unlawful firearm.

So if you have an AR rifle and a short upper (and nothing else) that could be considered constructive possession of an SBR.

If you just have the complete lower from a rifle, and a complete short upper (and nothing else) but they aren't assembled, that would be considered constructive possession of an SBR by most courts.

If you have a new AR receiver then it can have any combination of parts around it, because you could assemble it as a pistol. If you have a stock there for another AR rifle you also own, that would likewise be fine. Basically they'd need to be able to prove there was no way you could assemble the collection of parts lawfully (which is different from showing that there's at least 1 unlawful way to assemble them).

If you have any AR rifle, plus a pistol AR (or virgin receiver), in the same place as any number of short uppers then you're good.

If you only have one AR, and it's a pistol, and you also have a stock and barrel for it at least 16" long then you're still good.
You could have an unlimited number of short uppers for it as well.

If you drive out to the range, and you only bring the AR pistol and a stock for it, but have no barrels 16" or greater with you, that could be bad. Don't do that.

But I'm not building a "AR pistol" not quite sure what someone would do with it, like the buffer tube is just jutting out the ass naked
Someone might build a pistol that way if they want to use the same lower as a rifle easily. Just swap for a 16"(+) barrel/upper, and slide a stock on. Then it's equally fast to revert to a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nice! Do you read Recoil magazine?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice! Do you read Recoil magazine?
NO
Quoted:They have an article this month about a new CH that has a gasket seal to both quiet a suppressed system as well as mitigate that issue about too much gas which isn't an issue unless you make it one in most circumstances outside quieting stuff.
I believe the Geissele CH does this.. (I know it has a gasket across the bottom to seal against the upper receiver)
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[

Thank you!! But it's not a lower question I haven't looked specifically at a lower yet as I don't want quote "construction something something" apparently it's actually illegal to have the dedicated lower and all the parts to the upper put together and ready to be pinned together, this is often gotten around by taking out the pins and keeping them seperate im told, so simple! ??????????

Yet they want uber super specifics of the lower measurements and description ?????? gotta love century old gun laws! But I'm not building a "AR pistol" not quite sure what someone would do with it, like the buffer tube is just jutting out the ass naked ??
View Quote

The lower is what gets SBR'd, so it is pertinent.  Just take the stock off the lower and you now have a "pistol" lower and no worries about constructive intent, as long as the lower was not assembled into a rifle FIRST.  Then you can have your short barreled upper while you wait for whatever you are waiting for.  If you have a stripped lower on hand at all times you can never be accused of constructive intent as a stripped lower can be made into anything.  Also, AFT isn't in the habit of knocking down people's doors looking for mis-matched uppers and lowers, SBR or not.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
>I found sites saying this charging handle won't work for SBR's, was that only specific fancy CH's?

View Quote

Source for such BS?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top