Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2020 11:57:49 PM EDT
Having a tough time finding a complete a2 buttstock assembly.  You guys have a source?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
https://cavmfg.com/Buttplate-Assembly-BPA.htm
View Quote

That looks like a late A1 buttplate with a reproduction trap door.

If you're not in a hurry to get it this guy has them. No shit it takes him 2 weeks to ship most of the time, you'll get it and it will be what you want but the shipping is slow.

A2 buttplate and trap door
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe Midway has the complete assembly. I got one a month or so ago.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I just went through this a couple weeks ago. I "Backordered " a pair from Windham. They shipped a couple days later.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Badbrain:

That looks like a late A1 buttplate with a reproduction trap door.

If you're not in a hurry to get it this guy has them. No shit it takes him 2 weeks to ship most of the time, you'll get it and it will be what you want but the shipping is slow.

A2 buttplate and trap door
View Quote

Is that seller being difficult on purpose, or is it an ebay thing? Alpha two is not something I'd ever think to search for.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
https://cavmfg.com/Buttplate-Assembly-BPA.htm
View Quote

Uh no. I think that's the one they used to ship on their rifles. It's like a single molded piece.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys thanks so much for the help, I purchased off ebay.  I have the time.  Thanks.  

You guys always come through.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Stryfe:

Is that seller being difficult on purpose, or is it an ebay thing? Alpha two is not something I'd ever think to search for.
View Quote

Surely it's due to some keyword "trigger " bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Is that seller being difficult on purpose, or is it an ebay thing? Alpha two is not something I'd ever think to search for.
View Quote

I don't really know he's near Enterprise, Alabama. I've ordered from him a half dozen times same shit every time, it's pretty good quality for the price if you want a real A2 buttplate.
I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Uh no. I think that's the one they used to ship on their rifles. It's like a single molded piece.
View Quote

It's definitely not an A2.

This is.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Badbrain:

That looks like a late A1 buttplate with a reproduction trap door.

If you're not in a hurry to get it this guy has them. No shit it takes him 2 weeks to ship most of the time, you'll get it and it will be what you want but the shipping is slow.

A2 buttplate and trap door
View Quote

Thank you.  I'm patient and those are an excellent deal for original USGI buttplates with steel trap doors.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#12]
He also sells just the A2 trap door by itself, and he reconditions these a bit by cleaning, lubing, etc. In the description of the A2 door / buttplate combo, he specifies that he doesn't do any work to clean those up, and some of them may have cracks in the buttplate. Here's the door by itself:

Colt Trapdoor for A Two Butt Plate Stock USGI Military Retro *GREAT CONDITION*

I bought three of them back in January and posted these photos in another thread:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

He sells the buttplates separately too, new in the bag - I ordered a couple, and they look just like the photo in this listing:

Original Colt Rifle Butt Plate Assembly 9349130 1005-01-146-7685 NOS 223 556

I got a set of these used A2 buttplates for comparison, and they are pretty rough looking with rust on the metal fittings. I'd definitely recommend the new ones above over these:

Colt Butt Plate Pad A Two for USGI Stock Trapdoor US Military Checkered Lot of 2

As stated, it took him about two weeks to ship, but I'm very satisfied with what I got for the price.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Ordered a complete buttplate and trap door assembly from Windham along with a sling loop and screw.  $29.95 for everything including shipping.  The buttplate assembly showed out of stock, but I ordered it Friday the 8th and everything arrived in California on Monday the 11th.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I ordered three of the used A2/A4 buttplate assemblies from eBay seller tkaz6a earlier in the month, and yes, he did take a while to ship them out - however I am impressed.  My hope was to receive two out of the three with metal trap door assemblies that would clean up well.  What I received was three excellent-to-as-new buttplate assemblies that had small areas of rust on one end of the INSIDE surface of the assembly.  They all cleaned up extremely well, with little or no wear to the checkering on the trap door or the buttplate.  Two of the buttplate assemblies look as if they had been removed from unissued rifles.  For $18 each, shipped, this was a great deal for USGI buttplate assemblies with metal trap doors.

Unfortunately eBay has pulled all of this seller's listings (for the usual BS reasons...).  Here is what tkaz6a has to say about this on his eBay store page:

"Hello! I have lots of parts that always get axed by ebay it seems like -- if you re interested in more parts of the surplus nature, please message me!"
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  Looks like the one they have always made with the rubber (fake) plunger.
View Quote

Saw some of your A2s on the range today, sir.  Still in service when needed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I ordered three of the used A2/A4 buttplate assemblies from eBay seller tkaz6a earlier in the month, and yes, he did take a while to ship them out - however I am impressed.  My hope was to receive two out of the three with metal trap door assemblies that would clean up well.  What I received was three excellent-to-as-new buttplate assemblies that had small areas of rust on one end of the INSIDE surface of the assembly.  They all cleaned up extremely well, with little or no wear to the checkering on the trap door or the buttplate.  Two of the buttplate assemblies look as if they had been removed from unissued rifles.  For $18 each, shipped, this was a great deal for USGI buttplate assemblies with metal trap doors.

Unfortunately eBay has pulled all of this seller's listings (for the usual BS reasons...).  Here is what tkaz6a has to say about this on his eBay store page:

"Hello! I have lots of parts that always get axed by ebay it seems like -- if you re interested in more parts of the surplus nature, please message me!"
View Quote

I ordered three more trap doors on May 7 and got a shipping notice immediately, but after seeing nothing for a month, I sent him a message through eBay on June 6 to check on the status. By that point, the listing had been removed by eBay, as you mentioned. He apologized and said he would get the package out the following Monday. I received it three days ago, on June 15. I think his already slow process got messed up by having all his orders and listings deleted. The three that I received this time look like they're in even better condition than the ones I posted above, with more of the finish remaining on the textured doors. Glad I got a few more before he got shut down. He sent me his email address in an eBay message so I can follow up with him down the road if I'm looking for similar parts. I'll probably pick three or four doors that are the best match for the buttplates I'm installing them in and may eventually put the remaining doors on the EE. Or I might hold on to them, just in case, since quality surplus parts will only get harder to find.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#18]
3ACR, could you PM me his email? I could use 1 more trapdoor of the A2 variety. Got plenty of A1 types.

My Next A2 inspired build is gonna be, "what if JM had designed the A2" type of deal.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I had the exact same experience with my order. He was very receptive to messages and I did get it. Needed cleaning up but works well and cheap enough not to worry about it. I am happy,  may get a few more parts or whole stocks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I know @tkaz6a and can vouch for the quality of his stuff. He's been shunned by the scumbags at eBay, but is currently active on Tacswap and a few other places. The reason why he's sometimes slow with shipping is because he's just a one man operation, buying out estates that have stockpiles of quality retro stuff, which drives excess demand for his inventory. It can be tough to keep up with order volumes, but rest assured, his stuff is the real deal, and in some of the best shape I've seen. Always spot on with his descriptions, excellent comms, and an all around straight shooter. Never been disappointed.

Looping him in here, as he's informed me that he'll be joining our arfcom EE community in the coming days. Standby...
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#21]
The question is, where do you get some with the metal trap doors?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The question is, where do you get some with the metal trap doors?
View Quote

He's got them. A1 and A2.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#23]
If you do not mind. I have a question. I ordered a Brand New surplus A2 stock form Shark Arms. Will these be a metal trap door on those? Or did they ever go to a plastic Door late on?  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you do not mind. I have a question. I ordered a Brand New surplus A2 stock form Shark Arms. Will these be a metal trap door on those? Or did they ever go to a plastic Door late on?  Thanks
View Quote

I have heard of some late USMC A4s that had the plastic trapdoors. This was from other's recollections and not something that I observed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wait and see what you get, but you should be fine. Most surplus Colt or FN stuff will have the metal doors. Chris/Shark are good peeps, too. Only carry the real deal. You're in good hands.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you for the introduction! Hello all! I finally made the jump to arfcom -- it was really cool reading this thread, I had no idea people were talking about me ha. Glad everyone like their items. I'll be posting more of those items as well as many others in the coming days so if you need something just let me know.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top