Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2020 4:58:05 AM EDT
Since it’s not too practical to modify a 100% completed newer A2 AR lower receiver to resemble an early to mid 1980s A2 receiver, I was wondering if anybody makes a 80% lower receiver that has the early style of the re-enforcement profile around the buffer tube area?

The current style, used on the M4, M16A4/AR15A4 and the newer production M16A2 rifles since the early 2000s to the present are an improvement on those receivers, but I’m going with the more “Retro A2” look.

By change, does anybody know of anybody that can convert a completed newer AR A2 receivers to the early style?  I contacted Braceman and he stated that he doesn’t do that type of work on a 80% A2 receiver.

Thanks for looking!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a picture of what you're talking about?

You're not talking about A1 profile, but not "modern" A2 either?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Nodak spud?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Do you have a picture of what you're talking about?

You're not talking about A1 profile, but not "modern" A2 either?
View Quote

A2, not A1 and not modern M4.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
It’s not that hard of a mod. A little sanding and a refinish job is all that’s needed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Could you help us help you by indicating which style of A2 lower you’re trying to clone? There are several variations between Colt and FN. I reposted a number of images in this pinned thread. I also started this thread a while back that discusses this subject as it relates to FN A2s. Can you pick out a photo indicating which style you’re trying to replicate?

Quoted:
Nodak spud?
View Quote

I asked them a few weeks ago about whether they could offer correct A2 “retro” lowers, similar to the way they modify lowers to the A1 profile. They told me that it wouldn’t be economically feasible for them to sell them at the price they would have to charge after making the modifications. I took that to mean there aren’t enough people interested in paying $135 for an A2 80% lower. I would, personally, if it was correctly profiled. They’re probably assessing that most people are happy with the $79 A2 lowers from PSA, even if they’re not the correct profile.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 1:33:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the replies!!

I was hoping that NDS would offer a true A2 profile 80% or even a 100% completed lower receiver...  Since they’re the go-to guys for retro any and all AR receivers.

Most people cannot tell the difference between the older A2 receivers and the Current A4 receivers, but if you carried one for over 10 years, you can tell the difference pretty quickly...  Yes, there is nothing wrong with the newer A4 receivers, which were also used to build newer Colt M16A2 contract rifles.

The type of receiver I was going for is a true Colt A2 receiver, if you look at any Colt mid 90s, Colt Sporter Target/Match H-Bar receiver or the late 90s, Colt Match Target/H-Bar receivers, you can see the difference from the older Colt A2 receivers from the current Colt M4/AR-15A4 receivers.

As for the Drimal Tool, that’s above my pay grade since every project I’ve attempted to do the modifications on, basically sucks sweaty gorilla d!ck.  

Again, thanks for the replies!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:11:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The type of receiver I was going for is a true Colt A2 receiver, if you look at any Colt mid 90s, Colt Sporter Target/Match H-Bar receiver or the late 90s, Colt Match Target/H-Bar receivers, you can see the difference from the older Colt A2 receivers from the current Colt M4/AR-15A4 receivers.
View Quote

A picture would really be helpful for everyone. Are you talking about this style of forging, with the tapered rear collar that partially covers the raised tube for the rear takedown spring / detent?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 3:52:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Last time I got 80% lowers from RTB, they were the tapered at the rear pin like just above, not the typical A2 reinforcement.  They reminded me of old Colt C7 lowers.  See noticeable differences circled in red.

See more detailed pictures in my thread about these lowers here:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Are-these-80-lowers-Cerro-forge-RTB-says-they-are-I-don-t-know-/4-745372/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:25:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A picture would really be helpful for everyone. Are you talking about this style of forging, with the tapered rear collar that partially covers the raised tube for the rear takedown spring / detent?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Colt_M16A2_6497967_Receiver_Right_jpg-1454052.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Colt_M16A2_6497967_Receiver_Right_jpg-1454052.JPG

Yes, exactly like shown in your photo...  3ACR, thanks for posting the pic.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top