BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/8/2020 6:51:20 PM EDT
Took some pics when we headed to the range, found them interesting.  No failures with M855A1 and a Colt M4 converted to M4A1 standard.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

@Brownells
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Guessing that the Colt/Okay mag has the black follower?
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the Okay floorplate mag has a black follower.  Is it a Colt mag body?

It's a pre-ban.  Someone already IM'd me offering cash for it.  This is not the EE and those are Uncle's mags.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's a pre-ban.  Someone already IM'd me offering cash for it.  This is not the EE and those are Uncle's mags.
View Quote

Colt/Okay/NHMTG....all the same, made by Okay Industries. Floorplate markings are the only difference.  CAGE stamping on body is Okay.

I've got a handful of Colt branded 30s with black followers, never upgraded them and never ran into function issues.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#4]
How come one has the first round on the right side?
I can't remember what it was, but I remember guys saying they used to look at what side the top round was on for some tactical reason. Kinda weird it'd be on a different side with that mag.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't remember what it was, but I remember guys saying they used to look at what side the top round was on for some tactical reason. Kinda weird it'd be on a different side with that mag.
View Quote

Its a good way to check if your rifle picked up a round from the mag while it is dark.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#6]
None of those are “current issue” magazines. If your Supply Sergeant or Armorer is issuing those out, then they are wrong. The current issue magazines are tan with a blue follower or gen 3 PMAG, both of which have modified feed geometry for the M855A1. Both the black and green follower magazines should be immediately removed from service and the tan follower should be getting phased out. While those magazines may seem to function ok, prolonged use with M855A1 will damage your feed ramps and barrel extensions.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure what the mindset was but yeah, the follower hump is on the opposite side, so the rounds in a mag filled to 28 or 30 will index from the left instead of the right.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
None of those are “current issue” magazines. If your Supply Sergeant or Armorer is issuing those out, then they are wrong. The current issue magazines are tan with a blue follower or gen 3 PMAG, both of which have modified feed geometry for the M855A1. Both the black and green follower magazines should be immediately removed from service and the tan follower should be getting phased out. While those magazines may seem to function ok, prolonged use with M855A1 will damage your feed ramps and barrel extensions.
View Quote

All three were issued last Wednesday and are likely indicative of what is in inventory in certain units.

My understanding of the M855A1 issue is that excessive wear was only seen in a very small # of carbines.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#9]
All generations except for the first 30 rounder can be found down range here in Astan.  I even have 20 rd USGI from VietNam.  Interesting couple weeks ago ran two mags of each follower design thru a M249 SAW to include the 20's, PMag Gen 3 and some Mk16 SCAR mags.  Ammo used was M885A1.  Only FTF were from using the Mk16 SCAR mags.

Only issues I'm told is with M885A1 and M4A1s are bore's eroding faster.  For the last two years here of using M885A1 I have NOT seen any issues with feed ramps getting chewed up.  This includes SF guns and its attached big Army Infantry units.

CD
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  Interesting couple weeks ago ran two mags of each follower design thru a M249 SAW to include the 20's, PMag Gen 3 and some Mk16 SCAR mags.  Ammo used was M885A1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:  Interesting couple weeks ago ran two mags of each follower design thru a M249 SAW to include the 20's, PMag Gen 3 and some Mk16 SCAR mags.  Ammo used was M885A1.

Given the Marine Corps' purchase of the HK to replace the M249, that's a very interesting finding.  M855A1's extra pressure slows the gun down enough to not outrun the mag spring?  Or the bullet shape just feeds better than M855?

Only issues I'm told is with M885A1 and M4A1s are bore's eroding faster.  For the last two years here of using M885A1 I have NOT seen any issues with feed ramps getting chewed up.

Consistent w/ the increased pressure of M855A1 over M855.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

All three were issued last Wednesday and are likely indicative of what is in inventory in certain units.

View Quote

You are not alone when it comes to outdated mags being issued.

LINK
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My understanding of the M855A1 issue is that excessive wear was only seen in a very small # of carbines.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure theirs a directive stating the black follower mags are to be pulled from circulation.  Wouldn't surprise me if something similar has been issued for the green follower mags.

In the USMC-R, we're all getting MCT pmags now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I’ve seen several rifles that had pretty substantial damage from M855A1 fed from older magazines. It doesn’t happen from a single IWQ, but doesn’t take too many rounds either. We have seen significant damage in as few as 1200-1300 rounds. The approved magazine messages have been pushed out to the formations multiple times. I would crush my supply sergeant if I saw him issuing black or green follower magazines out to our Soldiers for their primary magazines. My last deployment (2019) we only used the green and tan follower magazines as our spares that we kept loaded in speed balls or on our trucks with normal m855 for emergencies only. Black follower magazines are a hard no go for combat use as far as I am concerned. Magazines are class IV items and are too easy to order. They are not and have never been intended to last the lifecycle of the weapon. It is generally due to laziness or apathy when your supply sergeant or armorer tells you that they can’t get new magazines. I would highly encourage you to fix that issue if you are in a position to affect the change in your Unit.
With that said, your armorer should keep at least 1 older magazine for each rifle so he isn’t turning in a good one if the rifle has to be sent off for some kind of higher level repair or maintenance.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
> that we kept loaded in speed balls
View Quote

Would you define "speed balls"?
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Resupply bundles intended to be air dropped to units.  Sometimes with or without parachutes (kicked out of rotarwing aircraft without landing/hovering).

CD
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Resupply bundles intended to be air dropped to units.  Sometimes with or without parachutes (kicked out of rotarwing aircraft without landing/hovering).

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Damn.

Thanks CD.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Cool!  Where is the range you went to?  Did you have to wear mask?
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cool!  Where is the range you went to?  Did you have to wear mask?
View Quote

We would have qualified w/ masks in the EST, but there was a line company ahead of us and we had more important things to attend to.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure theirs a directive stating the black follower mags are to be pulled from circulation.  Wouldn't surprise me if something similar has been issued for the green follower mags.

View Quote

I saw the directive to pull black follower mags several years ago.  These were range mags, not load out mags.

I mentioned it to the supply SGT.  She's a good egg, deployed w/ her before.  If she can, she'll take care of it.  Wouldn't be surprised if that's not possible, particularly w/ next year's budget.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was tracking that this is the Army's guidance for the use of the various generations of magazines, with the black to be phased out immediately and the green and tan to be used through attrition:

Attachment Attached File

That came out a few years ago, but I haven't heard of any change since the EPM was introduced. There are definitely guys still hanging on to black follower mags, and I would want my armorers to pull any of those that they found in accordance with the guidance above.

As far as M855A1 damaging feed ramps, there was a recent discussion here with links saying that the issue was misunderstood and only applies to USMC M27 IAR. The original reports apparently came from a senior NCO (Master Gunner?) at Fort Bragg and has subsequently been refuted by that same individual who said that his photos were misinterpreted. I seem to recall that some of the photos actually involved paint on the feed ramps for whatever test they were doing that gave people the wrong idea that the ramps were being damaged. Hopefully someone here can point us to that discussion or references.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much cash did they offer?  I got some of those old mags gathering dust.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]
What is most interesting to me about all this is the black follower mag was produced in 1991.  I had thought the green follower was much older than that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What is most interesting to me about all this is the black follower mag was produced in 1991.  I had thought the green follower was much older than that.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure I've seen multiple early 90's mags with black followers.  I sent them all to ban states years back.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  I was tracking that this is the Army's guidance for the use of the various generations of magazines, with the black to be phased out immediately and the green and tan to be used through attrition:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Army_Magazine_Generations_jpg-1455851.JPG

That came out a few years ago, but I haven't heard of any change since the EPM was introduced. There are definitely guys still hanging on to black follower mags, and I would want my armorers to pull any of those that they found in accordance with the guidance above.

As far as M855A1 damaging feed ramps, there was a recent discussion here with links saying that the issue was misunderstood and only applies to USMC M27 IAR. The original reports apparently came from a senior NCO (Master Gunner?) at Fort Bragg and has subsequently been refuted by that same individual who said that his photos were misinterpreted. I seem to recall that some of the photos actually involved paint on the feed ramps for whatever test they were doing that gave people the wrong idea that the ramps were being damaged. Hopefully someone here can point us to that discussion or references.
View Quote

That pic was very helpful.  Cut & pasted into .mil email to the supply SGT.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

CD
View Quote

COD care packages.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I was tracking that this is the Army's guidance for the use of the various generations of magazines, with the black to be phased out immediately and the green and tan to be used through attrition:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Army_Magazine_Generations_jpg-1455851.JPG

View Quote

I’ve seen some pretty nasty gouging first hand.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC,  green follower came in ~88-'90.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m remembering when green followers were the top tier followers.  The recommended action was to retrofit in all 30 rounders.  I’m sure I have some new green followers ready to install.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#29]

yep, I remember when green was the new good stuff
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I opened up a old tote and found some ready to go green followers including new spring!  For a bonus some black followers!
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I was USMC R until 1995 and never saw a green follower.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#33]
The Active component of the USMC started getting PMAGs in either 2017 or 2018. It was either right before or right after my second deployment; I remember the battalion gunner was up the Supp-O's ass about getting the funds allocated for them.

For some reason people seem to make it sound like the MCT flavor are the only ones getting issued, but if you actually look in the supply system you can order either MCT or black (window)-both NSNs are in there. Also, if you go to Horno range or Stone Bay or wherever you'll see dudes show up with both colors also to shoot their qual. When I shot at Horno last August before I deployed there were both colors, and the IA's who pulled their rifles from SOI had the old aluminum mags. For some reason they had collapsible stocks on A4 uppers too which was weird.

Everyone still got M855 for the qual range also, not M855A1, so I guess it didn't really matter.

Also, not sure how it works in the Army, but it should be on the armory custodians to order mags through Supply; at least in the Marine Corps the Supply Marines aren't issuing magazines to anybody.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Perfect example of small Arms in big Army and why the have always had issues. They can't even purge out expendable items like magazines.  And you wonder why SAWS and M2's don't run reliably.

They just can't throw shit out... they'll buy a new uniform or a new vehicle every other year... but keep vintage 1989 magazines for  30 plus years...

Some thing just never change.....Grrrrrr.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Active component of the USMC started getting PMAGs in either 2017 or 2018. It was either right before or right after my second deployment; I remember the battalion gunner was up the Supp-O's ass about getting the funds allocated for them.

For some reason people seem to make it sound like the MCT flavor are the only ones getting issued, but if you actually look in the supply system you can order either MCT or black (window)-both NSNs are in there. Also, if you go to Horno range or Stone Bay or wherever you'll see dudes show up with both colors also to shoot their qual. When I shot at Horno last August before I deployed there were both colors, and the IA's who pulled their rifles from SOI had the old aluminum mags. For some reason they had collapsible stocks on A4 uppers too which was weird.

Everyone still got M855 for the qual range also, not M855A1, so I guess it didn't really matter.

Also, not sure how it works in the Army, but it should be on the armory custodians to order mags through Supply; at least in the Marine Corps the Supply Marines aren't issuing magazines to anybody.
View Quote

Right before I got out in 2016 there was a pilot program running to test M4 stocks on the A4s for adjustability reasons.  I did Range Coach/CMC stuff for about 10 years and when you have shorter shooters (like a 5 foot nothing Marine) shooting an A4 (even the A2s when we still had them) with a fixed stock it gets a little ridiculous.  Especially when you move over to the table 2 stuff and now they're decked out in all their gear.  The problem gets even worse.  I tried to get my unit to issue M4s to the smaller statured shooters even if they weren't SNCOs if for the safety reasons only, never happened.  IMO it was down right unsafe on table 2 having those guys/gals shooting what looked like muskets on them lol.

I'm not sure what came of the program or if it became optional to run M4 stocks on A4s for the non combat units that still have them.  

As for issued magazines even at my last qual in 2016 we still had guys with black follower mags
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#36]
My son is in Marine infantry school right now. All his mags are Coyote Pmags, and he is now carrying the M27 IAR.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My son is in Marine infantry school right now. All his mags are Coyote Pmags, and he is now carrying the M27 IAR.
View Quote

Yeah combat Arms guys get the good stuff, I bet Airwing will be sticking with A4s/M4s.  Last I heard non grunt units and those not working directly with them will not be getting M27s and even MARSOC is sticking with the M4s over the M27s.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Is the supply chain that bad?

We had standing orders to destroy any magazine with a black follower, and any marine was supposed to turn them over in favor of at a minimum green. When I ran the armory, we were issuing tan followers. Usually I'd destroy all the old beat up green ones I could. If you pissed me off I'd give you the beat up greens.

The guys were also told by the rifle coaches and many range staff "if it's black take it back!".
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Right before I got out in 2016 there was a pilot program running to test M4 stocks on the A4s for adjustability reasons.  I did Range Coach/CMC stuff for about 10 years and when you have shorter shooters (like a 5 foot nothing Marine) shooting an A4 (even the A2s when we still had them) with a fixed stock it gets a little ridiculous.  Especially when you move over to the table 2 stuff and now they're decked out in all their gear.  The problem gets even worse.  I tried to get my unit to issue M4s to the smaller statured shooters even if they weren't SNCOs if for the safety reasons only, never happened.  IMO it was down right unsafe on table 2 having those guys/gals shooting what looked like muskets on them lol.

I'm not sure what came of the program or if it became optional to run M4 stocks on A4s for the non combat units that still have them.  

As for issued magazines even at my last qual in 2016 we still had guys with black follower mags
View Quote

I've seen (namely) those tiny females with m4 lowers/stocks and a4 uppers on the range. I think they were all airwing. We only had a couple females in our unit, but they were big enough to handle a m16 decently, and we all had m4s anyway. A couple of the tiny girls got m4s at MCT.

It is a legitimate disservice to have those marines out there trying to use a rifle twice their size. There's no way they can competently handle the weapon, so they're getting bad training, which means they're a liability in a combat environment as well. Even if they only post guard, I want them to be able to make hits. It's also pretty fucked to have Lurch Adams at six foot seven using a m4.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  Is the supply chain that bad?

We had standing orders to destroy any magazine with a black follower, and any marine was supposed to turn them over in favor of at a minimum green. When I ran the armory, we were issuing tan followers. Usually I'd destroy all the old beat up green ones I could. If you pissed me off I'd give you the beat up greens.

The guys were also told by the rifle coaches and many range staff "if it's black take it back!".
View Quote

Legitimately, yes.  I once worked a FLIPL in which I was the 3rd to 5th investigating officer of the same loss, in at least the second investigation, and most of the property had already been recovered.

Active component, were you?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've seen (namely) those tiny females with m4 lowers/stocks and a4 uppers on the range. I think they were all airwing. We only had a couple females in our unit, but they were big enough to handle a m16 decently, and we all had m4s anyway. A couple of the tiny girls got m4s at MCT.

It is a legitimate disservice to have those marines out there trying to use a rifle twice their size. There's no way they can competently handle the weapon, so they're getting bad training, which means they're a liability in a combat environment as well. Even if they only post guard, I want them to be able to make hits. It's also pretty fucked to have Lurch Adams at six foot seven using a m4.
View Quote

When I went through TBS everyone under a certain height (5'4" IIRC) got an M4. Everyone else got an M16A4.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

When I went through TBS everyone under a certain height (5'4" IIRC) got an M4. Everyone else got an M16A4.
View Quote

Livin that sweet O life.    Us lowly enlisted got issued A4s/M4s based on rank.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
(SNIP) It's also pretty fucked to have Lurch Adams at six foot seven using a m4.
View Quote

Actually that isn’t a big deal believe it or not. I am essentially Lurch and I was issued an M4 on all 4 of my combat tours in the Army. I was an infantryman, and yes I used my weapon over there. Personally, I preferred the M14 I had for a chunk of tour #3, but I digress. Anyway, I never felt like the M4 was undersized for me, I just extended the stock all the way.

My first combat unit was the 82nd Airborne. As far as I know, the whole division had carbines in 2002, as I never even saw a REMF with an M16. Our Regiment (505th) certainly all did.

Later when I was in the 101st, I did see a few M16s even at company level. Guys in Headquarters would have them. But everyone on the line had M4s.

Link Posted: 7/11/2020 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Legitimately, yes.  I once worked a FLIPL in which I was the 3rd to 5th investigating officer of the same loss, in at least the second investigation, and most of the property had already been recovered.

Active component, were you?
View Quote

Yes. 2141/0933 '13-'17.

Quoted:
Actually that isn’t a big deal believe it or not. I am essentially Lurch and I was issued an M4 on all 4 of my combat tours in the Army. I was an infantryman, and yes I used my weapon over there. Personally, I preferred the M14 I had for a chunk of tour #3, but I digress. Anyway, I never felt like the M4 was undersized for me, I just extended the stock all the way.

My first combat unit was the 82nd Airborne. As far as I know, the whole division had carbines in 2002, as I never even saw a REMF with an M16. Our Regiment (505th) certainly all did.

Later when I was in the 101st, I did see a few M16s even at company level. Guys in Headquarters would have them. But everyone on the line had M4s.

View Quote

Yeah it's not a huge deal, but they're far more apt to use it comfortably. I used to be nearly 6', 5-10 now. For square range, I hated the m4. But for every real world use, I'll take the m4.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I joined in 1992 and only seem to recall the black follower magazines until about 1997.  After that, until the last year I qualified in 2004, I remember looking through my issued magazines to make sure I only had green follower magazines, which were always OKay brand.  I had a few problems one year with a couple of magazines and I either noticed, or someone told me the black follower mags were the problem.  I think the black follower mags were AdventureLine, or something like that.  I don't recall ever seeing Colt or unmarked, and certainly not Brownell's floor plate magazines.  I think those are only in the system because someone lost their magazines and got some cheap to turn in.

I was airwing and our M16a2s and magazines were usually only issued to us during qualification week.  So I got a different batch of magazines almost every year I was in.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 2:53:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I joined in 1992 and only seem to recall the black follower magazines until about 1997.  After that, until the last year I qualified in 2004, I remember looking through my issued magazines to make sure I only had green follower magazines, which were always OKay brand.  I had a few problems one year with a couple of magazines and I either noticed, or someone told me the black follower mags were the problem.  I think the black follower mags were AdventureLine, or something like that.  I don't recall ever seeing Colt or unmarked, and certainly not Brownell's floor plate magazines.  I think those are only in the system because someone lost their magazines and got some cheap to turn in.

I was airwing and our M16a2s and magazines were usually only issued to us during qualification week.  So I got a different batch of magazines almost every year I was in.
View Quote

Brownells has had government contracts.  Got several with their cage code of 12238.

CD
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Brownells has had government contracts.  Got several with their cage code of 12238.

CD
View Quote
Yep. Brownells made quite a few for the military, but IIRC it was at least the late 2000's before they were introduced.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Someone needs to form the Mattel Magazine Co.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#49]
There was a directive for all Army units that used M4A1s in 2002 that ALL green follower magazines not of either Colt or OK mfr. were to be immediately DX'ed and that all black follower magazines were to be immediately DX'ed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Very few Army units were using the M4A1 in 2002.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top